Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Movie Thread

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by insuragator, May 20, 2018.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Saw Uncut Gems. Very good movie. Worth a theater watch. Sandler is still a terrible actor. No way he wins Oscar. I’m a huge fan of his old stuff though.

Won’t give any spoilers, but there are definitely things to discuss.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Just watched Once Upon A Time in Hollywood....wasn’t impressed....probably the most disappointing Tarantino flick IMO....about 30-45 mins too long and nothing really going on if that makes sense until the end....Margot Robbie though is delish!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Rian Johnson is great at what he does, for his own stuff. He never should have been let within 500 miles of a Star Wars film, though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just saw Judy....sucked

5. Never heard of that one

6. Just got home from seeing Ford vs Ferrari....very good film especially if you appreciate the history of racing....the race scenes were legit as well....perhaps about 30 mins too long but all in all great movie....Damon, Bale, and Tracy Letts as Henry Ford II (terrific actor IMO) all nailed their roles

7. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Uncut Gems was excellent. Perfect role for Sandler.

8. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    New to me. American Animals. Love it. It's a great story & would have been good even it was poorly done. Clever innovations, but not innovations just to be showy...they enhance the emotional impact of the movie. His influences seem a bit obvious to me & they are all really good.

9. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

Waiting for 1917....countdown till Thursday night..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Great preview. Trying to see this weekend.

11. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I enjoyed Brightburn. Kind of a mix between The Omen and Superman. Definitely under the radar.

12. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    Not as terrible as its reputation but still disappointing. They wasted a great idea by going to far into pure gore/slasher when it could have been a fantastic psychological horror movie.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Watched The Irishman. Pretty entertaining movie, especially for how long it was. Acting was great. I don't like all Mobster movies/shows, but I found myself interested in this one. Not sure why some people hated it???

14. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Saw 2 movies this week as thunderstorms tore through the area.

1917 was really good. I enjoy a good narrative in a video game and this felt exactly like that. Sounds like a back handed compliment but video game stories make you feel like you are there. Very intimate versus a traditional movie. This felt like that. Simple story, simple characters, but it all was so immersive. Great experience. I wouldn’t wait for video on this.

Underwater. No need to tell you it wasn’t great. It’s a January action flick which is the hospice of movies. Knowing that... it was solid for what it was: unrealistic with unreasonable science, and cheesy dialog combined with good effects and tense moments. Pacing got tedious 3/4 of the way through for 10 minutes that felt like 30 but other than that they just go swiftly from one “we’re about to die” moment to the next.

• Like Like x 1
  15. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Well... I guess I won’t be seeing Doolittle. Great preview trailer though.

A7D9E4C3-C4A0-48D6-A080-A52F0D885A6D.jpeg

16. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm jonesing for that too. Love anything Roger Deakins does and this is the kind of movie he was born to shoot.

17. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I hated it because things moved too slow and the movie was so long

18. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Watched "A Fall From Grace" on Netflix. Tyler Perry movie. The acting was terrible, but I enjoyed the movie. I find that to be the case with a lot of the Netflix movies.

Can great acting save a bad movie? I don't think it can in the same was a good movie can overcome bad acting.