Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Movie Thread

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by insuragator, May 20, 2018.

1. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Movie Pass still is awesome!!!

As of the last update - Many excellent films this year.

Acrimony -- Has got to be the best movie of the year. I love a film where I have no idea how it will end. This was fantastic.
    Tomb Raider - Very good. I could stare at Alicia Vickander all day.
    Chappaquidic -- Very good. Who knows what really happened.
    A Quiet Place.- Loved it
    Blockers - LMAO -- John Cena is hillarious. Funny side note. There was a group of 70 year old ladies in front of us that must have hit happy hour before the movie. They were great. Giggled like school girls the whole movie.
    Bad Samaritan - got no publicity but is really really good. I'd recommend it.
    Overboard -- great remake and almost exactly like the original 30 years ago.
    DEADPOOL 2 -- Giant steaming pile of crap. Saw today and it was terrible. I loved the first one and think Ryan Reynolds is awesome. To me the movie was crap. Granted I'm no marvel fan but other that a few jokes that was 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Looking forward to "Breaking In" this week for date night. That one looks really good.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

As far as "Chappaquidick" goes....

EVERYBODY knew what happered! Teddy boy's famous quote; "When I woke up, Mary Jo and the car were gone", However, it was so easy to see, when Teddy crept back to the Kennedy compound with his clothes soaking wet, and reeking of the alcohol that gave him that "drinkers nose"

It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out!! :eek:

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    Well that's no bueno about Deadpool 2. Kinda hard to top the first one as I suspected.

4. tec68

tec68 VIP Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Vero Beach
    I disagree on Deadpool 2, it couldn’t surpass the first one IMO but I thought it was what it should’ve been. My wife and I really enjoyed it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    There are so many remakes coming out. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it feels lazy.
    I am waiting on Alita:Battle Angel though.

6. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Jan 30, 2010
    We are in the theater for Solo: A Star Wars Story.

7. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Jan 30, 2010
    My wife says it is her favorite Star Wars movie. Fantastic casting. Ron Howard came in and did a superb job Directing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I'll have to check it out this weekend

9. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I liked it OK. Probably my 4th favorite out of the 4 recent Star Wars but I liked the other 3 a lot so it’s not the slam it seems. Saw opening night with a tame theater of fans with a sporadic sprinkling of Star Wars shirts. Had one myself. ;)

Was action packed from the opening scene and the characters were all likeable. Not a deep mythology movie so non Star Wars fans can pick up and keep up.

10. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Jan 30, 2010
    We liked it much better than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

11. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Bought Annihilation in HDR on VUDU. I thoroughly enjoyed it. But I'm a fan of Alex Garland's work. My buddy who is really into film did not feel the same way I did.

12. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Our younger son saw Solo tonight. He said it’s better than The Force Awakens and Rogue One. I asked about The Last Jedi. He said Solo blew it out of the water.

13. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I really liked Rogue One so that's saying something.

14. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I thought Deadpool 2 was pretty good. It had some good jokes and references. It was over the top and cheesy, but isn't that what made the 1st one so good? I'm not that knowledgeable about super hero comics/movies, but I like Deadpool more than Justice League and Avengers.

15. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    The problem with Deadpool 2 was that we had all seen Deadpool. It was funny but it wasnt original. I think the original was worth the price of admission. If I had to do it again I would wait for 2 to play on Netflix.

16. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    That's fair, but you can probably say that about all Super Hero movies and throw in Star Wars and all of these other franchises.

17. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I think deadpool was unique but fairly limited. Deadpool basically wisecracks while killing everything in his way. He is basically amoral. All of his stories kind of are similar. Someone annoys deadpool, dead pool wise cracks before slaughtering them. Star wars is a much bigger universe. Much more variety of stories. The latest avengers movie I didnt care for. Not enough story for me. The avengers have close to 800 different stories from the comics. There is a lot of repetition but there are many unique stories and bad guys. I think deadpool may work better in an xforce movie. His wisecracking and slaughter cant carry many movies alone but as part of a team he may do better.

18. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Saw “Ready Player One” nearing the end of its run. Really good. Great visuals. Outstanding. Story was good for any gamer or pop culture fan.

19. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Behind on movies we've seen. The family went to see Incredibles 2 last Friday. It was good but we really expected more from it. The baby was great. It had a great family dynamic.

On Sunday we went to see Tag. If you haven't seen the previews for this, it is about a group of friends that have been playing Tag since they were kids and have continued playing on into adulthood. It is based on a true story. We liked it better than Incredibles 2. This is the movie where Jeremy Renner(Hawkeye in the Avengers) broke both arms doing what should have been a simple stunt when their safety wires broke.

I would recommend both but, like I said, we liked Tag the most.

20. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Watched The Greatest Showman on the plane. Excellent movie.