Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New league from Overtime to pay HS players

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by phideltdj, Mar 4, 2021.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    If it gets the shoe companies and their corrupt business practices out of the college game, I'm all for it.
    But it won't.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Good. Wouldnt mind having JV again to help out.

3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If you go to a 4year college, you can’t get drafted until 3 years after you have enrolled in college.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    So when is the next brilliant move by "money makers" for athletes?
    Circuit for Jr High with pre-development in elementary?

I guess we are creating an athletic division of labor starting at the nursery room where experts can project "measurable s" based on genetics and anticipated future growth.

Heck, why fool around, lets follow the the East German Olympic model of years ago when kids were lab created "Roid" cyborg freaks by the time they are 16.

Think we should eliminate the introductory word "College" and just use 'presumed cyborg pro athlete".

This is Progress?

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

This will eventually diminish the value of college basketball. Look at college baseball. The only time it becomes really relevant is during the College World Series. I see a lot of players opting out for these alternative means of earning money than the college route. Colleges are going to have to provide as much incentive to come to school as these alternative leagues do in not doing so.

6. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Who needs college when you have a half a million at 19 to start your own business??

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Basketball Selenites.

8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I think that college baseball is diminished because of lack of interest in the sport overall. I think college football and basketball will remain popular despite the recent changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. core545

core545 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Is this kid, Badda Boom, in the portal? What can you tell us about him?

11. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

I like this, but then, I’m a Gator fan. I don’t care much about the pros but I will watch college basketball because the Gators will play the teams I’m watching. And I played basketball 60 years ago. Likewise baseball (I could hit but not field). I watch college football because it’s more fun to me than the pros. None of my fandom will be damaged by the best highschool players going straight to the pros. On the contrary, I think it enhances the college experience and puts more emphasis on teamwork, coaching, and fun. So I’m all for it.

12. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Not sure if serious. How many kids have the drive to do that? Some kids will be drawn in by the dollar signs, and not understand what they are giving up by not going the college route. The college route gives players a back-up plan if their pro careers don’t go the way they thought it would.

Regarding the kids that take the money, the government will take 30-40% of that 500k, so they net maybe 250-300k. Minus living expenses and they are down to about 150-200k assuming they are fairly frugal. If the NBA doesn’t pan out, then what? You have an individual with a high school diploma and ????

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Is it wiser to go to college and get a degree so that you will have some foundation for solid employment? Absolutely, but if a guy is worth that kind of money at 19, he will be, barring injury, able to land with an international league and earn 250K Euros a year without a degree. How many people graduating from Florida earn that even 10 years after getting their degree?

• Like Like x 1
  14. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    The only real student atheletes are Division 3. The rest is BS. For me, it started when JV was eliminated. So, this is just another expected manifestation of the UAA being a separate business from the university as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    It is always a risk/guess as to whether a high school kid can succeed at a higher level. Look at Chris Walker and how things ended up for him. And playing overseas isn’t something every kid is cut out to do. Oversea fanbases can be absolutely brutal.

It is not just the degree from the university that is important. It is the networking and contacts that are made during that time that can lead to future opportunities that can be worth more than a degree.

16. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

i agree with you. But for every Chris Walker there are others who have had very successful overseas careers. CE is in the G League which tells me he is looking to sign with an NBA team. Is that realistic? Who knows? There is no denying that a college education opens up doors that have NO CHANCE of being opened without it and God’s intervention.