Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

new infielder Dale Thomas transfer in from Coastal Carolina

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by fat_gator, Jun 24, 2022.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    There’s a report out there in which BT indicated he’d likely stay.

• Like Like x 2
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

shane—

I’m sure that’s what we would all prefer—but we better have a doable plan B….

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    At some point in the post season as a coach is having conversations with players about their plans (summer ball, draft, transfer) and his intentions (playing time, scholarship) for that player in the coming season, wouldn’t the coach get some reasonable assurances about the draft from the player? How soon after the season? Seems like it usually works out - somehow.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Back in our day the answer about reasonable assurances would be yes. However in today’s world I don’t know how much weight that carries. You see/hear all the time about this or that recruit who has de-committed (I know that term is normally heard referring to a football recruit) and with the transfer portal definitely figuring into the outcome of so many players I just don’t think it’s a smart move to assume it usually works out as a sound decision for building your program.

I wish in this aspect that truly things were the way that they used to be.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

• Like Like x 1
  6. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    People I trust here think BT has high draft potential, but I'm not sure I see it. He's not a great defensive catcher, the bat is good but not special. His overall body type and athleticism is...fine, and he'll already be 23 years old in a couple weeks.

We'll find out soon enough and I hope it works out for everyone involved.

7. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    It is interesting to me as he struggled a bit down the stretch, maybe he was tired, but he has a solid bat from the left side and is a decent catcher. He isn’t a Top 200 pick by MLB.com (Thompson [27th], Fabian [38th], Barco [71st], and Sproat [112th] are) but from a few sites I have seen, he is a Top 10 round pick and they leave (now not everyone is drafted where they are projected because of money BUT Top 10 round selected dudes leave…).

Nick de La Torre stated that BT has told the team he is returning. Gators catcher Mac Guscette entering transfer portal

So who knows…

8. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021

For starters, Mac is leaving so there is the first clue. Next, he has more to gain coming back next year and improving his K to bb ratio. He seems to be out of the top 6 or 7 rounds. The money just doesn't make sense to leave. Also, I know a guy, who knows a guy, whose best friends' sister's neighbors' cousin's babysitter told him so.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    When I was a college student I was also a part time steelworker. I worked weekends, every school break (Christmas and Spring), occasional weekday night shifts, and all summer. I paid my way through a private college and had money in the bank with no student loans when I was done.

I took a pay cut to get a job as an engineer after getting my BS.

I didn't go to college to get a decent paying career. I went to college and then grad school to do what I wanted to do.

Of course those days are long gone.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 28, 2019
    I think he was making a different point.