Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Georgia Law

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by archigator_96, May 6, 2021.

1. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    The thing that I think makes this somewhat fair is that while college football and the schools certainly make money off the 1-2% of superstar athletes that make the NCAA brand each year, I would argue that the school brand is almost always a major part of the player's ability to get NIL money while in school. For example, how much could a guy like Trevor Lawrence get for an autograph picture of him not wearing a Clemson uniform or somehow tied to the school brand? In most cases the school brand is directly tied to the ability of the player to have NIL value.

I like the fact that this law directs money back to the other players as opposed to the school.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I don't know as much about the law as you do, but IMO the school's ability to add value to the player and NIL is the untold story.
    As far as the player goes- how good would CJ Henderson or Kyle Pitts have been without the Gator coaching staff/ facilities, and competition?
    If they had gone to some dumpy minor league team with low paid coaches and assistants, and bottom rung facilities, would their first contract be as good as it was?

So in that sense UF (or Bama or UGA) added greatly to the college players market value.
    Because they will show up to their NFL team ready to produce.

This is worth millions in compensation to them. Yet UF's contribution to their contract value is never told.
    While certainly we gained a lot of $ and value too, it could be argued that their association with us benefitted both parties.
    Financially and otherwise....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Definitely a symbiotic relationship with both parties benefitting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    And no more brother &sister relationships. Brother and Brother should be next.

6. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If it puts the school at a competitive disadvantage, the school won't take any money.

7. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    This is my thought too. T.Lawrence at Kansas makes how much? Same player. $100 bucks at a jiffy store appearance?! Clemson it’s what, $250,000 a year at Danny Ford Chevrolet? Clemson brought the $ from 100 yrs of football, not Lawrence.

8. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I know VERY little about law. :)

I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure I completely agree. Trey Lance was the 3rd overall pick coming out of North Dakota State. Lots of kids with lesser coaching and facilities are just as NFL-ready as kids from SEC schools. Trey Lance is going to make a lot more money in his first season than Kyle Trask despite where he went to school. That contract value has little to do with the school brand.

You may be trying to make a different point than I was ... or maybe we're saying the same thing in a different way.

I'm talking about the value of the Florida Gator brand. I'm saying that for Gator fans (even non-Gator college football fans), an autographed #15 Tim Tebow Gator jersey or an autographed photo of Tebow in a Gator uniform has a lot more value than a photo of Tebow wearing a generic tee shirt. Part of the reason fans are willing to pay is the tie to the school brand.

A large percentage of any college football player's NIL value is going to be directly tied to the school brand, regardless of the size of the school. The star QB at Duke is going to have some NIL leverage with Duke fans, but that value is going to be greatly diminished if the Duke brand isn't associated with him.

Let's be realistic. There are probably 1 or 2 college football players nationally who have any sort of face recognition to the AVERAGE football fan. Trevor Lawrence is the only one who comes to mind this year and even then, I bet a small percentage of the public would recognize him without the Clemson jersey on. Even in the NFL, Aaron Rogers and Patrick Mahomes may be the only players the average person would recognize without the tie to the team brand. TV commercials usually have to add visual cues, like uniform colors, to give the TV audience a clue as to who the person is.

My point is that the vast majority of these college players have almost zero NIL value without the team brand tied to the endorsement.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Legend

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    There are two new laws in GA. ( I cant bring myself to even type Geo..)

The other law is if you get divorced, she's still legally your sister.

Inbred humpers. Lol

11. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    I am predicting now that ugaly will not compel contributions to any pooling agreement. That's sports suicide.

Also, you can bet that there is no way this survives a court challenge. This is a taking pure and simple.

It's mindboggling that they could take up to 75%. If they simply said 10-25% maybe no one bats an eye. Here though it looks very bad.

If this can be used against UGA in recruiting, I hope no one challenges it.

12. reptilenation

reptilenation Junior

Oct 12, 2013
    Pace, Fl
    UGA has already announced they won’t take a percentage per a radio show today. It was up to each university if they wanted to participate.