Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Constitutional Amendment

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Jul 10, 2022.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Considering our country's history, I'm going to pass on that idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DesertGator

DesertGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Frisco, TX
    Why? I'd have thought you'd be on board with actually trying to fix the issue and put someone with at least half a brain in the highest office.

3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    In the past, our governments used "minimum intellectual competency" as an excuse for disenfranchising people they didn't want voting (ex. Black people and women). I don't want stupid Presidents, but I think the burden is on us to persuade the majority of this country not to vote for stupid people, not to create barriers to running for office that could be used in a discriminatory manner.

4. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I propose a series of publicly televised tests for every candidate. Undercover Candidate.

1) Mow the grass of a moderately-sized lawn start to finish with no assistance.
    2) Complete a trip to the grocery store, buying the top 20 most commonly sold items, start to finish, with no assistance. Also, add whatever deemed necessary to prepare a meal for two adults, a teenager, and a toddler. Prepare that meal.
    3) Drive to a gas station and fill the tank, with no assistance.
    4) Get a new GP, make an appointment (convenient real issue, or just general check-up), and complete it, no assistance.
    5) Shadow a teacher in a low-income district for a week.
    6) Shadow police officers in multiple socio-economic areas for a week.
    7) Have resume altered to hide identity but otherwise keep it accurate and current, and have Walmart hiring team evaluate it. Shadow an employee of America’s largest employer for two days.
    8) Same as #7 except McDonald’s.
    9) Take US Gov & Politics AP exam
    10) After all of this has been aired, give this candidate exactly 30 minutes on air to self-evaluate the whole thing.

My guess is that last one is actually the dooziest of all as we watch that person blatantly lie about it all.

As for an age amendment, absolutely not. There is no magic age at which someone becomes “unfit”, just as 35 is an arbitrary minimum.

Seems to me pretty convenient these last two are taking this flak for being essentially identical to their 35 year-old selves. Yes, they both now speak and do Old Man continuously, but neither JB or DJT are materially different than they’ve ever been. Maybe JB doesn’t crash the bike at 40 or DJT doesn’t break down lifting a glass, but mentally these two are just physically slower Themselves.

And in any event, if you want to discriminate individually based on age, you have that freedom, and I support keeping it. But baking it into the system is a weak power play agenda item.

If America chooses another Kardashian, then take your medicine. A country electing imbeciles like that is ready for a major “correction.”

5. DesertGator

DesertGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Frisco, TX
    I agree that having an educated electorate is absolutely the best solution. As Jefferson said, "An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people." Unfortunately, we don't have an educated citizenry. We have a citizenry who votes for taglines and a government in the hands of those with the deepest pockets more than willing to take advantage of it. Look no further than my avatar to see what we've become.

6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Only 60 and already demonstrating the intellectual capacity to meet current standards

7. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Did we ever and if so, when?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One of the most ironically clever (and I’m sure accidental) tactics of modern R’s is to claim that “no one talks about” something that they feverishly try to hide from public view.

9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yea, but it was actually the second tweet in the thread I was trying to link to about US fresh air and Chinese air

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DesertGator

DesertGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Frisco, TX
    It's been quite a long time for sure. It's a bit of a gotcha. Early on in the nation's history, people at least seemed to have the want to try and vote the issues instead of for the largest promise of largesse. Arguably people are "more educated" now than back then, but it's more than offset by their being blinded by the "yay team" involved between the two major parties.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So you think that people weren't voting for largesse or around team mentality in the era of Tammany? They just love Tammany's position on the issues?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    But “they don’t talk about” that air exchange model either, as Hershey Squirt so eloquently explains during the event he tried to hide from essentially all people.

I mean, tell everyone dude, fix the problem you just articulated!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Very romantic.

Venomous non-issue campaigning, because it works on voters, has always been brazenly front and center. Thomas Jefferson hired the Rush Limbaugh of his day to smear John Adams with high-end stuff like being a hermaphrodite. It never stopped.

And in the 1800’s one party just simply paid people to vote “correctly.”

Newspapers were also generally naked political instruments. I believe the NYT once had a multi-oped debate about whether a candidate was “crazy” or a “degenerate.”

All of that is because it worked then and works today.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. DesertGator

DesertGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Frisco, TX
    Maybe it is more than a bit naive. I have nothing to back it up really, but at least historically it seemed people were at least trying harder to keep "the greater good" in mind. It just seems more venomous now than it ever did.

15. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    EVERY POL is a salesman of sorts... ;)

16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

The most followed of the Kardashian/Jenner clan is Kylie. She is only 24. She has the 2nd most IG followers of any person on earth

17. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    What if it was just for POTUS?

I'm sure there are plenty of non biased cognitive test available to show cognitive impairment. Hell we do hundreds of studies that use them.

Here is a list

RVALT
    RBANS
    Mocha- can be memorized.

MMSE sucks and can be memorized too easily.

18. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I've heard some of these before, lol.

If this quote is accurate, Jefferson accused Adams of being "a hideous hermaphroditic character with neither the force and fitness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.”

In return, Adams' men called Vice President Jefferson "a mean-spirited, low-lived fellow, the son of a half-breed Indian squaw, sired by a Virginia mulatto father." As the slurs piled on, Adams was labeled a fool, a hypocrite, a criminal, and a tyrant, while Jefferson was branded a weakling, an atheist, a libertine, and a coward. Even Martha Washington succumbed to the propaganda, telling a clergyman that Jefferson was "one of the most detestable of mankind."

Adams vs. Jefferson: The Birth of Negative Campaigning in the U.S.

19. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    It's not because of her verbal posts if ya catch my drift.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Exactly, they loved their getting my loser cousin a no-show job at the docks policy