Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Coaches on Defensive staff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Depends upon where you’re starting from. Are you looking for a hard and fast rule? You tell me

2. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    We are starting from the Dan Mullen hire. I'm not looking for a hard and fast rule, I'm asking about the Gators. You said it could be argued that 2.5 years wasn't enough. How much is enough?

3. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Haha gotcha. He was one of my dads best friends and colleagues in Gainesville and we always saw him at gator games so I was curious. All I really know about him other than being a dentist was that he loved tennis and I'd almost always see him when I went to DB tennis near Millhopper. Thought maybe as a Witt on a gator message board you were one of his kids.

4. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Look, we are all frustrated with the defense this year. I was. I get that people want to complain about it. But in the two previous years, the D really wasn't that bad under Grantham.

One of the more curious aspects of this board is that posters who bash the coaches get called out for being negative and hurting the program, especially in recruiting. The negative posters always offer the same justification for blasting the coaches:

1. You are a sunshine pumper, and I am entitled to blast the coaches;

2. I'm not hurting recruiting by blasting the coaches because the kids don't read the message boards and even if they did, it doesn't affect their decisions; and

3. No one pays attention to the incredibly negative posts in which I just flamed our coaches. You think anyone cares what I say?

All of which begs this question:

If none of the negative posts matter, if players don't pay attention, and if no one pays attention to negative posts and doesn't care about the opinion of the neg head poster, then why post them?

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    It’s not a name u run into often

6. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good question. It took Dabo 9 years before he had his team in the NC discussion.

It took Spurrier 7 years to get a good DC.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    Sent you a message re: Bill Witt.

8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The
    Thread

9. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Seems 2 completely different points. The easier one is SOS, who won 4 SECs with what you say was less than a good DC. Dabos in the ACC, but he did win a conference championship in his 3rd full year.

10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’d give him 2 more to have this thing operating at an incrementally higher level. As already stated, Dabo took 9 years to reach the top. People like you wanna hang Mullen after 3. If that’s not ridiculous enough, we were 4-7 just 3 seasons ago.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Is "wasn't that bad" the new Gator standard?
    The rest of you post bring up good points. Are posters just venting? (Which is ridiculous). Are they bashing? (Which is ridiculous). Are they simply trolling? (Which is ridiculous). Or are using constructive criticism? Are they looking for honest debate?
    This place would be dead if we didn't have differing viewpoints. But there is a happy medium that needs to be found.

12. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would think we would consider all points.
    It could be argued he would have more than 1 NC had he gotten a better DC sooner. But I'm sure he was learning and possibly being loyal to some extent.

Also wouldn't compare winning SEC championships in Spurrier time to winning them these days.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  13. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007

Negative posts have consequences. Negativity in any setting, the work place, the family, the internet, has consequences, none of them good

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    I'd say most of it is venting based on the fact that had our DC been a little bit better we'd be in the CFP with arguably the best gator offense in history. The name calling is unnecessary though, and at this point we just have to live with Mullen's decision and hope for the best. Doesn't mean we have to agree with it though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

“Best Gator offense in history”? You show your ignorance again. You’re a poster child for the clueless fans I’m talking about.

16. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Cmon, whats ridiculous is your reading comprehension. How do I want to hang Mullen? Whats ridiculous is thinking we had the talent of a 4 win team. But incrementally higher? Do you believe we fall back some next season or continue with incremental improvement?

17. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Let’s cut the guy a break. He said arguably and without much running game at all it was a ridiculously good offense. Were there more balanced and possibly better for sure on more balanced, yes. Keep this in mind, everybody knew we were going to pass and we still put up monster numbers on them so this poster is not far off at all. In fact there are some that would argue for him for sure.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Well you jumped from a competitive 2 deep to winning a national title. Its a pretty different discussion imo.
    Think about this, with SOS you are discussing national titles. With Mullen its currently SECE titles.
    SEC championships are a standard, how can we not compare them?

19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ok I’m being a little hard on the guy, but when you can’t run for 2 yards to save your life, you are not “arguably” better than a half dozen Gator offenses I’ve seen between 1984 and 2008.

We had an amazing QB and a stud TE and .........

Come on man, be realistic.

20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Who said we had the talent of a 4 win team? You jumped the track a couple miles back