Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Coaches on Defensive staff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Wife and I were in DeLand day before yesterday. Was that you outside Half Wall brew pub sipping on a Martzen around lunchtime?

2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aw shit that was me - never mind

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Quite unfortunate but I was working. Would have been in the Samsula - Osteen area. Me and Mrs kes frequent half wall bout once a week or so. The one in NSB is pretty nice. Bigger building and bigger menu.

• Like Like x 1
  4. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Winner

5. novagator

novagator Junior

Jun 20, 2014

Skink for the most part I agree with you but our D was not a bunch of scrubs. Yes we were missing several elite players but the huge drop off is the concern for me. Regardless of who leaves we should never be in a position like this. We lose Trask next year are we to accept that our O is going to be the worst in UF history and one of the worst in the power five? Heads would roll if that happened. Grantham should have been held accountable and fired immediately. Instead we picked out a couple scape goats and are hoping for different results next year. Guess what? Those defensive players aren’t walking back through the door next year. What makes you think we will get different results?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    I don't have the rating buttons, but I will give you a 100% agree. Maybe those who are bitching and moaning constantly here give a million yearly to the program. Who knows?:emoji_unamused:

7. thetrooper

thetrooper Junior

Oct 28, 2020
    Totally. Nobody should complain when we field the worst Gator D in 75 years.

"It's fine."

8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I agree with everything you say short of “fired immediately” — again, I’m not a fan of TG, but this effed up season was expected to be a patched together exhibition when it started over a month late, and after zero spring practices. All I wanted out of the season was to beat Georgia.....

Yes some teams and coaching staffs handled it better than others. Last year’s national champion sucked out loud this year. Bama and Clemson and OSU have been rolling for years and were in a better position to roll with it than a team still trying to rebuild in its 3rd season under the comparatively new staff. But firing anybody coming off a season with so many one-off variables should only be done if there’s a clear improvement already lined up. Anything short of that is a gamble with potentially more downside than upside.

As to your last question, the thing that makes me hope we’ll get better results next season is all those talented freshmen who never even got the chance to practice with their new team last spring. We’ve been generally encouraged with the talent we hauled in last season and the one before that - but you can’t just take these 18 year olds right out of high school, who haven’t seen competition even close to what the SEC brings, and throw them out there to play man coverage against the likes of DeVonta Smith. So you play the hand you’ve got the most confidence in under the circumstances, and play the few dudes you’ve got with experience — Marco, Steiner, Dean.......

Not a strong hand by any measure, but ripping them for not “emptying the bench” with youngsters who haven’t even practiced in Orange & Blue is the height of ignorance. This season was what it was, and when you consider 3 of our 4 losses came to seasoned teams who will all likely end up ranked in the top 5, you don’t necessarily go firing people immediately when it doesn’t produce a championship.

Now more than any other season I can remember, “wait till next year” seems like a purposeful approach to 2020. Worst that can happen is we replace guys a year later. So what? This is a process that CDM is trying to manage. It’s not a freaking race to satisfy all the spoiled brats demanding a championship yesterday.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 1
  9. filamg8torfan

Mar 17, 2019
    I never said the defense was fine. It's the "constant", non-stop, the same beat the dead horse stuff that are bothersome.

Wouldn't you rather read news about new asst coaches UF is bringing in. How about players transferring or recruits that are interested to UF.

The OP mentioned that it doesn't matter one iota what you and I, or anybody say here. TG's future with UF depends on CDM, TG, and their employer (UF).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thetrooper

thetrooper Junior

Oct 28, 2020
    Of course, but if you believe (as I do) that we have a definite ceiling w/ TG, it's immensely frustrating. And this is, you know, a message board.

McGriff was a good hire. It should help w/ recruiting. I like several of our defensive position coaches.

But the guy at the top is going to hold us back and if/when we see the same trends in 2021 (torched on 3rd down by decent QBs, etc), the blame will shift to Mullen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. filamg8torfan

Mar 17, 2019
    It will ultimately will fall on CDM if defense is still terrible. After next season, it will be an easier decision financially.

Let's face it, everything is about money (at least for sports). With all UF had gone through paying coaches who were coaching other teams is a tough pill to swallow. The pandemic brought a lot of financial hardship as well to everyone around the world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    To clarify what my thought is...I don't care if you complain, I don't care if you praise. It's the exchange of ideas and thoughts. We should be able to handle opinions different than our own. At the end of the day our posts have ZERO effect on the Gator football program. If any want to think otherwise, that's OK too, but that's a little grandiose thinking on their importance. IMO

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Why didn’t anyone try to replace the coach last year

He was welcome at the start of the year

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    The scary part is who says we have spring practice or Savage workouts again this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    He was not entirely welcome. It was more I hope Dan knows what he is doing by keeping him. Nobody expected the total collapse to happen, but we did expect the defense to not show up for 2-3 games, just like it had the past 2 years.

There was a lot of grumbling about the secondary last year and how the defense underperformed in big games. The two biggest games last year, against UGA and LSU, the defense couldn’t get the ball back to the offense. The defense also gave up multiple 3rd and long conversions. So no, Grantham was not welcomed back with open arms.

16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The few times Greenard and Zuniga were both playing our defense was significantly better. Even “average” as people keep saying would be good enough. But there was no depth behind them and we could put no pressure on the QB when they were hurt (which was most of last season). Same goes for the secondary - Chauncey was the only stud back there.

Yes you can run off all the coaches for not having a solid 2-deep all juiced up and ready to plug & play, but it can also be argued that takes more than 2-1/2 recruiting classes when you’re essentially starting from zero (or 4-7).

17. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    whats a realistic time frame for having a solid 2-deep all juiced up and ready to play?

18. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    I've been meaning to ask you: Any relation to Bill Witt(Gainesville Dentist)? Every time I see your name I wonder.

19. integrator

integrator Junior

Jan 25, 2009
    There likely will still be Covid impacts this spring but considering a way was found to play the season I would expect a way will be found to workout and have some sort of spring ball. It may not look like normal yet but we are now approaching a year into this and learning to find workarounds. Last year it was a total unknown with its beginning coinciding with the start of spring practice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Bro I’m gonna be honest we’ve lost track of nearly everyone in the family since dad passed 2.5 decades ago but here’s the caveat....my gator fandom started because my grandmothers cousin has lived there for 50+ years and began sending my brother and I Albert’s since the mid to late 80’s. I know we have various other family that also lives in and around Gainesville but I was a teenager the last time we were in contact. say all that to say this , it’s entirely possible. Prob more than you bargained for on that 1 but believe it or not that is in fact the short version. Hehe