Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Coaches on Defensive staff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Profound

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Thanks for the Cliff's notes!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Senior

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m willing to bet he was offered by LSU but chose ND because he’s Ohioan and is very family oriented so staying in the area was important. Now, if he was offered a head coaching gig elsewhere I’m sure he would move further away but I’m sure the DC money offered was similar so “home” won out.

4. pstebb

pstebb Freshman

Apr 3, 2007
    Plus Brian Kelly has much more job security than coach O. Another bad year on the bayou and he may be gone.

5. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    This place has some good arguments.

I am afraid for our future a little. We knew what we had in Polite and then Zuniga came on. We had Reese, Vosean, CG-J, CJ and the young dbs. It seems no one has progressed from there. Polite moved on and we got Grenard. Then he and Z moved on, Reese gone, CJ gone and we have no identity on defense. Safeties and corners and linebackers and save one or two DL, all no better than they were as freshmen. They too are moving on though.

I hope they can get something going in the right direction. I am afraid it is on the DC because the talent is considered good enough. Why did they throw that piss poor defense out there? Who’s fault is that? Who opted out that hurt? I would have emptied the bench to find someone to play. Everyone should have got a look. Everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    It's the same amount of info whether I space it or not, and it read just fine if you took 2 minutes. You probably spend more time in a day watching wayfair commercials than it would take to read my post. But alas you want to keep your head up your butt, so don't read it and live in your fairly land where TG is a good DC lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Well at least your posts are shorter now. That’s progress

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
  9. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    You just had a huge post of nonsense about how it isn't Grantham's fault that he is so terrible. I can't believe any Gator would defend him. But there you are...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

For what it’s worth, I am not a fan of Grantham. How could I be? I cussed at our defense this season as much as anybody else. What I’m objecting to is the incessant bitching over and over, hijacking every thread into another opportunity to bash the same guy, and the nastiness with which it’s done.

References to Jabba The Hut and the like should be reserved for opponents and rivals, not our own. Attacking Dan Mullen for not firing him after 2 seasons, or in the middle of the past Covid season does more harm than good.

If Dan Mullen can identify and land a better DC, I’m all for it. But the notion that anybody would be an improvement is beyond ignorant. Refusing to acknowledge that this season presented significant and unique challenges to defenses is as clueless as suggesting that Marco and Trey were of equal talent as Chauncey and VHIII.

The most outrageous posts are coming from the clowns with the least knowledge, and their ignorance is laughable. Believe it or not, Dan Mullen is in a better position to address our problems on defense - and offense - than the loudest and most obnoxious ‘fans’ on this board. Insulting him for not satisfying your demands for immediate gratification accomplishes nothing good - and it pisses me off.

In all kinds of weather” was meaningful back in the decades before we won our first championship. It clearly is no longer applicable to today’s spoiled ingrates who lash out with hatred and hostility any time things don’t go according to their demands. You don’t have to love Todd Grantham to be disgusted with such behavior.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I think he means it’s much easier to digest on our ends if u use paragraphs. Don’t feel bad I used to be a flagrant offender of this unwritten rule. Damn the man

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. integrator

integrator Junior

Jan 25, 2009
    Skink,

I LIKE your post! Its a WINNER and I WISH I HAD SAID THAT.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    I concur. :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 18, 2015
    And Bo Nix turned out to not be very good. Grantham’s success always comes against lower level / average QB play. Top shelf QBs generally win against TG.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Couldn't have said it better. What is curious to me is that all the neg heads think they are helping. Any good business organization knows that neg head whiners are toxic and only create problems and controversy. They get fired.

But you can't fire people for being negative, whiny jerks on the internet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Wordy. Average sufficed. “to above average” was superfluous amd unnecessary.

I share your concerns. It remains to be seen if the guys McElwain’s staff recruited can be replaced. Will we lose a step or two? I can envision more control and lower scoring offense and maybe a few more key stops from defense. But no doubt the team will have a different personality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Quite the job Kirby did coaching up his LB on the wheel route in game. Without it he might have lost that game to us.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    At least he was giving effort. You never see that with the d coaches. They’re supposed to be teachers first. And at best that’s low hanging fruit , at worst it doesn’t even remotely apply to what I’m saying but u do u boss

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2021
  19. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    This post was much more palatable than your first. I agree with most of it, though I do believe there are better DCs out there right now that we could easily hire.

I will still be cheering for the orange and blue on Saturdays, but as someone else said my kool-aid will be much less sweeter this off season knowing the ceiling of our DC. I hope to be proven wrong. Go Gators

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    That's fine and fair, but to just say too long didn't read when he posted an essay of his own with an insult at the end felt much more like a teenager losing an argument and deflecting.

• Funny Funny x 1