Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Coaches on Defensive staff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    So a majority of people are spoiled clueless ingrates because you don't agree with their opinion? What makes you Dr. Football? I won't pretend to be a football coach or former all star. But I do understand sports, been playing and watching them since 3 years old and a lot of which at a high level because of outsmarting my opponents. I played travel soccer for many years as my team's captain, coach on the field and assist leader at center midfield and got invited to the Olympic Development Program all while being the slowest person on the field. Along with placing 2nd at nationals for 3v3 which is entirely based on quick thinking and fundamentals. What set me apart was strong fundamentals and making the right choice time and time again by staying one step ahead of my opponent with my extremely high sports IQ. Those same qualities are why I love looking at game film and finding exploits in defenses. All offenses in sports come down to the same concept, how do you create space on the field and then attack it. My biggest issue with Grantham is that he doesn't change his looks based on how an offense is attacking his defense. He just tries to stay in the same look to minimize space, which is fine as a baseline to gauge how the opponent is attacking you. Then you change to take away how they're attacking you and try to account for what their next move would be to take advantage of your adjustment before it bites you in the a**. I don't see any of that with Grantham. We get the ball pounded down our throat over and over and we stay in 2 deep safeties. The other team abuses our team's inability to switch routes properly in zone and we don't send more guys to the quarterback and man up so that routes don't have time to get to a point where they need to be switched. I'm not saying you need to play press man every play, in fact that would be just as stupid. You need to be able to mix it up to keep teams off balance, and that goes for actual play calls along with looks, fronts, stunts and personnel matchups. If I can tell you pre-snap where we're going to be attacked over half of the time (which currently I'm doing it way more than that) we have a problem. I saw it last year, despite us abusing a true FR Nix in his first road game. Heck go watch Muschump's offense get whatever they wanted last year when they played us. Grantham is not an elite DC no matter how much you or Mullen wish him to be that. That said my issue's with Mullen are smaller and not fireable, but if we do aspire to win championships he needs to be much smarter with in game clock management and getting rid of or reassigning coaches who are not getting it done. He also needs to set a higher standard, there is wayyy too much dancing and celebrating going on after routine plays. Teams that do anything to win don't act like that, they are businesslike and professional. Celebrate when you get a 3rd down stop or a turnover, don't celebrate a tackle after the other team gets a first down FFS. He does way more things right than wrong, and I'm happy he's our coach and has brought us back to prominence, but he still has some learning to do and his attitude after losses gives me the impression that he thinks he already knows it all. I hope I'm wrong.

And please for the love of all things holy stop with the COVID excuse. Every single team that played a game this year had the same exact issues to work through, and our coaches being in year 3 had a major leg up. Lots of other coaching staffs did better with way less continuity.

Also stop with the talent excuse too, out of the 70+ teams that lined up a defense this year I'd wager that at least 50 (probably more) would trade their personnel for ours in a heart beat.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    I can’t comment to how good TG is or isn’t ...but when I see old highlights from say 3-5 yrs ago I see ALOT more talent on the field on every level

That is far and away our biggest issue

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    A lot of those guys you're referring to were Muschamp recruits and he definitely loved getting his defenders! That said a coach can also make someone look better or worse than they really are. CJ didn't look like a 1st rounder to many around here with his play last year and ended up a top10 pick based on talent. TJ Slaton, Zach Carter, Andrew Chatfield, Amari Burney, Trey Dean, Brenton Cox, Marco Wilson, Brad Stewart were all middle to high 4 stars or 5 stars that were upperclassmen this year. Kaiir Elam, Gervon Dexter, Khris Bogle, Jahari Rogers, Diabate, Hopper all high 4 star or 5 star underclassmen. We have plenty of talent, it's on the coach at that point to utilize it properly. I'm sure I'm missing more as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Savannah Ga.
    FWIW Freeman goes to ND.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Chris Ash is likely waiting to see if Urban takes the Jags job, he would be a prime candidate to join his staff.

6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Damn that’s a long post

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ces1948

ces1948 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So a couple of retreads get hired to straighten out the defence but the head man of defense stays. This sounds a lot the old "fire the underlings because they wouldn't or couldn't those guys like I wanted, but it wasn't my fault.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    I read your long post... so which one of us does that make clueless?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Legend

Nov 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. sqgator

sqgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Damn, I wish we hire him as DC.

11. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Legend

Nov 19, 2014
    Kelly did a great job with his last DC hire as well.

12. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Short version for those who find reading too hard is that I'm not a clueless ingrate, quite the opposite actually. And Grantham is average to above average at best.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Respect is always earned not just given. TG was slipping down in the quality of his jobs until he fell all the way to Miss. St. and Dan rescued him IMO. TG probably rewarded Dan with good production with just 2-3 star talent at MSU, and Dan appreciated that. They come to UF and TG has way more to work with and has some fair to good defense. Covid is inflicted on the US and something happens with Todd. He shows up 2020 and I think cheeseburger Charlie is back prowling our sidelines. The D looks just as sloppy and disheveled as him all season long. Perhaps some personal issues derailed Todd, I don't know that's purely speculation on my part. Whatever the case, Dan is not happy with his old coaching bud and lets him know it. We shall see how they both respond in 2021. To me when you're paid 1.5 mill a year you don't fall off into the deep end and risk losing your job. But it happens to people all the time. Grantham's defense at UF seems to have the same issues even when manned by very good talent. Certainly never looks as disciplined as bama, clemson or o$u defenses. I know this drives me crazy and I'm sure many of you as well. Again we'll see how TG responds, I believe this is the last year of his current contract.

15. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    I guarantee that I could have coached the worst defense in Gator history too, and for a lot less money.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Being good 15 years ago does not mean you are good today. And we want great not good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thetrooper

thetrooper Junior

Oct 28, 2020
    I seriously am always amazed to see anyone defend Todd Grantham.

It's not even debatable. Will Miles took an objective look at his career and the number don't lie:
    Mullen retains Grantham....but is that the right decision? - Read and Reaction

I never liked the hire. But the 2020 season SHOULD have led to a change at the top. Again, not really even debatable.

If we're sitting at 9-3 next year, having easily beaten bad teams but struggled on D vs the good ones, things are going to get INTERESTING around here.

18. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    Ha! Ha! Ha! I was going to post something similar, but I don't know how to post gifs. I knew you'll come through.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I try to not be “fire him” guy regardless of who we’re talking about. That being said there were 2 things that I found disturbing on a deep level and I know I’m getting repetitive here but ....we consistently didn’t get lined up all year and to make matters worse you almost never saw true coaching going on on the sidelines between plays or series. That’s one thing that u very much see with guys like Kirby and Dan. They are always teaching in game. I too feel that tg is not an idiot but the results this year were what they were. This is purely speculation but it almost felt like he mailed this year in because I do think you don’t get that many jobs without some aptitude. Hellifino man. At this point I just gotta hope Dan knows what he’s doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Well I don’t think you’re any less clueless if that’s what you’re asking.

Paragraphs are your friend.

• Funny Funny x 1