Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Coaches on Defensive staff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Jan 7, 2021.

1. mkfgator

mkfgator All American

Aug 28, 2019
    I get you. I am concerned about more than just this year too. But most CEOs don’t have 18-22 yr old employees, many of whom don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground. I don’t have anyone in my office who throws shoes at our adversaries. And most employees don’t have to worry about tearing ACLs and shoulders and head injuries at the office. But the point is Grantham needs to get better along with everyone else. By the way, if Alabama and Georgia’s CEOs judged the worth of their DCs by the Florida game, they would have handed them a pink slip already too.

2. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    I agree that we don't need disrespectful bashing. But we don't need Grantham either, especially at his salary. Half the crowd is fine with excuses. Some if us aren't. Doesn't mean I believe I'm more knowledgeable, but it does mean I believe there are better options. We fold against every good offense we face, and we also regularly make average offenses look good.
    The argument that our losses were on the offense is laughable to me and a sign of incorrectly assigning blame and accountability. You call #5 raw but guess what, hes already on his way out. If he's raw the DC needs to find the best way to use his talents. Its not ignorance to believe manning a guy tight could have better results. Pressure is useless if you don't take away the quick response.
    Most of the guys who turned their back were mac guys, but they were also the guys Mullen chose to depend on.
    This is life, find a way to get results, let's not continually cut slack and make excuses.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Stop pumping sunshine and polishing this turd of a defense. Our secondary has been hot garbage the past two years. Since the Dline took a step back this year, it exposed our secondary for what it is. It’s the reason we give up so many 3rd and Grantham’s.

Those secondary issues we faced this year were also present in 2019, and the good qbs we faced took advantage of them, and even some of the not so good qbs did as well. Grantham’s defense has given so many qbs career days against our defense that it makes me sick. At some point, the blame has to fall at the feet of the DC who determines the scheme that is run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    When I saw this I immediately thought of how Trask and Emory carved up Auburn's secondary in 2019. Color me unimpressed by this hire.

5. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    I suspect that Mullen is very concerned.

I’m frustrated with the D as well but I think there are more factors at play than just “Grantham sucks”

For comparison- are Clemson fans calling for Brent Venables head? Their D was horrid at the end of the season and he gets paid even more than Grantham.

There’s been so much moaning about Grantham - and that leads to questioning Mullen. IMO just not a healthy exercise. Bringing in a Co-DC, mixing up assistants, etc. clearly that’s the path that’s been chosen.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I'm not quite sure this is accurate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You’re right it’s not accurate. Grantham’s defense won that game against Auburn. They played great. I was there - really great game and we had a fine season in 2019 with the exception of losing to Ga when we had to play CJ McWilliams against their wideouts. But that was all on Grantham - we were loaded with talent in our secondary and Zuniga and Greenard were supposed to put pressure on Fromm from the bench :rolleyes:

8. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    How does our D ends terrorizing Nix make Auburn's Defensive secondary good? I don't get the logic. No doubt our Defense was lights out in that game, but that doesn't make Auburn's secondary good...they were terrible early on in 2019 but did improve as the year went on (see LSU and Bama game). In 2020 they were even more awful (like ours). Unless its for recruiting only (and I was under the impression that recruits loved Gray), I don't see how this is much of an upgrade for our team.

9. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    In fairness he threw the shoe 20 yards down field, not at our adversary ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    So what’s the scoop on Ash and Strong? Anything new?

• Like Like x 2
  11. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Trask threw for 240 that day? He didn't exactly light them up.
    Mcgriff is gonna recruit and the CBs will play Granthams way. I think recruits did love gray, I dont think its an upgrade, but more status quo.

12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Only answer that comes to mind is simply embodied in the prevailing “anybody but Grantham” hysteria all around us. The concept that we could actually end up worse off by firing him is lost in the drum beat.

Logic you say? What’s that got to do with anything?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Emory also had 28 on the day. It wasn't an overwhelming passing day, but my comment about Auburn DB's were more about the whole last two seasons. In 2019 they had the best DL in college football and they still had difficulty on the Defensive back end. Maybe it was more Safeties than their CB's, but they haven't impressed me on D in awhile.

14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Agreed...I'm not a huge Grantham fan. However, I don't agree with this mania around replacing him. I am, however, mystified by the seeming regression by our DB's over time...particularly the safeties. I thought both Davis and Stewart showed promise the last 2 years, but were MIA for the most part this year. At least as far as Marco goes, you can potentially explain the decline on his injury....He was never the same afterwards. I thought Elam played solidly in 2020.

15. TEKgator22

TEKgator22 GC Legend

Nov 30, 2008
    VA
    While I don't disagree with the substance of your post, I dunno how LSU has been suddenly lumped into the likes of Bama/TAMU/OU/UGA (not just by you but other posters as well), if only to add another loss to the bucket of "decent teams" against us this year. If you're going by record, Mizzou and Mississippi both finished 5-5, the same as as LSU. So then we were 3-4 vs decent teams. Still not a goal to shoot for or be happy with, but a little more fair than cherry picking teams just to point to an indicting statistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    There's some truth here, as evidenced by the thread where someone asked what kind of defense people would like to see and the message board DCs were able to come up with "ummm, a good one." That said, you've overstated your case. Even if you believe that Grantham maximized the available talent, and that's certainly questionable, it's his job to get Jarrad Davises and CJGs and VHIIIs on the roster. Regardless of the talent limitations we should at least be able to line up correctly. Historically one can see the pattern of defenses being pretty good early in the tenure and then declining until Grantham moves on. People aren't crazy to want a change, even if sometimes people make dumb arguments to support that position.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Elam was the bright spot to me back there this season. When you consider the really good DB talent that’s left this program over the past 3 years, and add in losing Davis, Reese, Polite, and the aforementioned Zuniga and Greenard, you could build a case that talent has dropped off every bit as much as coaching. We’ve got young talent to replace them but a lot are RFR and Sophs who don’t yet have the experience, and these guys will also suffer most from essentially losing the entire spring practice due to covid. OK, yes it’s excuses, but you’d better consider everything before firing the DC just because things went bad in this screwed up season. Again, I don’t even thing SC should have fired Muschamp after this bizarre season.

Whoever they eventually replace TG with had damn well better be an improvement, and the uneducated bozos yelling that anybody would be an improvement are nothing more credible than a bunch of whiny juveniles.

We really were short of bodies this year and last - yes it’s on the coaches to correct that, but 2020 really needs to be put into the right perspective before making decisions as weighty as firing a DC and hiring a new guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Its on the staff to get the 2nd year players in. Nowadays, kids are leaving after 3 years. You don't have time to develop a kid over 5 years anymore. Odd to hear about all the talent leaving, yet so many say Mullen had a complete rebuild.
    I think our perspectives are simply different. I dont believe Grantham has shown (over his career) to be an elite DC. We simply aren't getting the return on a hefty investment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    I would agree if it was just an anomaly or a game here or there but it was basically every game where the D performed subpar and Bama/Georgia have not shown poor defenses to be the norm. Not to mention the recruiting for them on the defensive side leaves them hope for the future...not so sure we have recruited that well on defense to feel the same way.

20. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    I lumped in LSU with those teams because LSU's has had strong recruiting classes and I would say more talent across the roster than Mizzou and Ole Miss so even though they lost a ton of players they have some elite young players that can step in. Mizzou and Ole Miss most of us would consider a step below the upper echelon of teams in the SEC but LSU is normally the challenger to Bama in the West.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1