Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Coaches on Defensive staff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Jan 7, 2021.

1. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I totally agree. That goes to my larger point, worts are present on both staff and talent. What drives me nuts is people that are so damn black and white when everything in this world is shades of Gray. Of course we need to bring in more top shelf studs , arguing against it causes me to remove credibility from anyone making that case. And of course the majority of these coaches know their shit , they’ve forgotten more ball than most of us will ever know. It’s no diff than some of the political stuff going on. The overwhelming majority of us in here are in the middle in terms of what we criticize or ask for. It’s the lunatic fringe that blasts anyone that says we may need to look at “this or that” that take the conversation from a genuinely objective open ended discussion to a shouting match that serves no purpose.

it comes down to 1 thing. Do we trust that Dan sees the obvious and has the gumption to address these areas. I contend people that smart and driven don’t get where they are by accident. He sincerely strikes me as a man that would walk through hell in a gasoline suit to win a game (all things being equal ) and I can appreciate this quality because I too find losing offensive. I hate losing far greater than I like winning. He’s had a rough year no doubt but I just feel like he’s our best option. And probably most important of all He understands gator fans and it’s hard to overstate how critical this is

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You essentially did, with the ‘arguably’ caveat. Argue we did, to the point of semantics and other silliness.

Hey man, it was awesome watching Trask drop dimes into double covered Pitts’ hands. It was thrilling to watch Kadarius reverse field and turn on the jets. This was arguably the best offense in the SEC, second only to Bama.....but we were just so one-dimensional.

This offense in a way reminded me a little of our 1994 team that gave up a 28 point lead in the 4th in Tallahassee — because we couldn’t run to save our lives. Pick up just one 1st down and extend just one possession beyond 3 & out, and we win the game. But even with Danny Wuerffel under center (and true freshman Fred Taylor), and brilliant Steve Spurrier on the sideline, we couldn’t, largely because we couldn’t grind out one freaking 1st down on the ground.

Rewind to the prolific Dan Marino, Mark Duper, Mark Clayton offense in 1985 in Super Bowl XIX — a record-breaking aerial attack, but in the end it didn’t matter how good they were at throwing the ball if they can’t run when they had to. The 49ers were able to ignore the run threat and focus solely on shutting down that amazing passing game. I think the Dolphins attempted less than 10 rushes and got dominated. Some might say that was the best offense in Dolphin history. But a less sensational group made up of Csonka, Kiick, Larry Little, Bob Kuechenberg, Jim Langer... take that honor because they could run the ball down your throat while opening up the pass game for Griese, Warfield, Twilley, and others. Not as spectacular, but a true 2-headed monster that was nearly impossible to stop.

So that’s why I keep stubbornly pushing back on the folks who make it sound like we had all the makings of a national champion in 2020 and the defense squandered our best offense in history. Trask and Pitts were amazing and Toney was electric. But the right side of our o-line was very suspect in pass protection at times, and the run game was nearly nonexistent. We were great in spite of it, but not the greatest.

That’s really a bunch of arguing over a trivial point, but it goes to the bigger topic of the competence of CDM that keeps getting called into question. Many want Grantham fired because our defense sucked in 2020. I contend that he’s still in a building mode that is still in the footers and rebar stage of development. Grantham’s unit is clearly the weakest link, but there were too many one-off random and transient factors in play this season to dump the DC. To me this is all about patience vs. impatience. We’re not in a race. Mullen knows what needs to be done and he’s earned the opportunity to do it according to his bigger plan.

Patience, Grasshopper

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I think how good LSU’s run game was last year along with the ability to make plays on defense is drastically overlooked because how damn good the passing game was. Edward’s-Elaire killed teams on the ground and screen wise. Their d gave up yards and points at times but they made plays, big plays in big games and big moments.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan Senior

Apr 12, 2007
    Oline/Dline recruiting and development fixes 85% of our problems. We should start to see that with the young linemen now. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    If I’m being honest, I see the world in color ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And I can understand his demeanor and not so smart things he has said. I understand because I may be similar to him in that way. What comes out of my mouth may be the wrong thing, but at least I didn’t say what I was really thinking. If you can’t say what’s really on your mind, you have to be very measured with what comes out. Sometimes you get that” I can’t believe I just said that”. Moment and he isn’t one to backtrack. He may regret what he said but he isn’t going to crawfish.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm not picking on the point, I just enjoy a little 90s talk amidst all the current day hand wringing. But Fred Taylor wasn't really Fred Taylor until 97. He was always a talent, but especially his freshman year ran very upright and was pulled down far too easily and often. We had RB by committee during those great 94-96 offenses, it was just a heck of a committee: Fred, Eli Williams (eventually moved to DB), and Terry Jackson.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The best offenses can always get third and one as an automatic first down. Tebow is a great example. His offense wasn’t going to score instantly like some offenses but the touchdown was inevitable. Just because it takes longer and creates a lower scoring game by limiting turnovers doesn’t make it any less effective. It actully puts more pressure on the other team because a couple mistakes and a two score deficit can take an entire half to overcome. 08 offense could come back quickly also but had the option to eat huge chunks of clock.
    Our offense this year was very explosive and deadly but when you pass on third and short consistently, that has to be viewed as a weakness. As good as this offense was, it had a gaping hole.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Exactly - that’s why I said ‘true freshman Fred Taylor’. The talent was in place, but it hadn’t been developed yet. Once it was, our offense was balanced enough for the Fun & Gun to go all the way.

10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

^This

11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

and neither was Spurrier

12. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Just sick of all the excuses absolving Grantham of any responsibility for the defense underperforming this year. Replacing the secondary coaches should totally fix the issues with his scheme we have seen the past three years. We will see who gets to say I told you so next year.

13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

And clearly if the defense underperforms one year amid the most unusual of circumstances, the DC should be fired immediately. Everything that went wrong is a fireable offense, and all the factors in play this covid season are nothing but excuses. Got it Steve.

I have no idea what you do for a living, but I hope you’re never put in charge of anything important, or even remotely complex.

14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    But Spurrier said whatever he wanted for the most part. No filter yet very measured.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And it’s no surprise that the 96 gators with that great running game to compliment that great passing game won the natty.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Quickest way to rectify that is to win , beat everything they put in front of you. Media and fans become a lot more forgiving when you’re laying waste to the conference and country

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Our fans are fine with Mullen. There are a few that got their panties in a wad but they are just a vocal minority. You’re right, just win and they will pipe down quickly. The school administration is quite a different issue.

18. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Your definition of “underperforms” is like the Black Knight’s definition of a flesh wound. Missing your arms and legs, FLESH WOUND! Head chopped off, FLESH WOUND!

Underperforming would mean the defense was average this year. The defense this year cratered and set several records that hopefully will never be broken again. If the offense hadn’t been as good as it was, we would have been looking at 2-3 more losses.

The second problem with your argument is that it’s not a one year issue with Grantham. He had similar secondary issues last year, and has had 3rd down issues his ENTIRE career over multiple schools. His scheme gets roasted by good qbs and has 2-3 games a year where it doesn’t show up at all. Wasn’t impressed last year, and definitely not impressed this year. You seem to think it will get better next year, and we will see if you are right.

I see a repeat of what happened on the offensive side of the ball during the Muschamp years. Which is a coach that can’t adapt his scheme to fit what his players do best, and then blames his players for not executing his “perfectly” called schemes. We would run the ball into a stacked box and the coach would say the reason the run failed was someone missed an assignment. If every play call requires perfect execution and stud players to succeed, and you lack stud players, then the failure of that play call falls on the coaching staff.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Sophomore

Jan 2, 2014
    Nobody said it was the best, just arguably, meaning it was up and around the best. The best ever? Most likely not. We have 3 National Championships though, so anywhere near the top is good enough to compete for and win championships if our D holds up their end of the bargain. They didn't even come close this year and considering our 3 losses where we played all of our healthy players were a combined 12 points difference. Yes I would say had our defense been better we could have at least won the SEC championship and been playing in the CFP.

20. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    So what is Wesley McGriff's position going to be?