Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Coaches on Defensive staff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Sophomore

Jan 2, 2014
    He literally quoted what you said lmao. "this was not a championship team. We had the QB and TE of a championship team, but there were too many holes in other key places - like o-line for openers"

And I totally back the high horse comment.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    I’m sorry did I misread this? To me it sounds like you said we are not a Championship team because of holes in other key places - like OLine for openers. I simply disagree with you. Our O as a whole played fine. Yes our run game sucked but Trask broke some DW records if I recall. Think our O in general broke a few records. Our D however did not break any records....not any good ones at least. Really if we had anything close to a D, our offense numbers would be even better. So I apologize if I misread your post, but I don’t believe I did

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    I think it was this quote of yours

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    :emoji_call_me::emoji_punch: Since there’s no ratings for me

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’m shocked :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

OK pals, there’s a significant difference between being “the reason” and being “a reason”. But this has deteriorated into arguing just to argue. Y’all can go on calling this the best offense in UF history, and I’ll keep saying no it wasn’t. I’m thinking we’re done

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Orangeandblue15

Jan 2, 2014
    Still waiting on your credentials for your clearly superior opinion.

8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

really? Ok man, stay right there and I’ll get back to you .....

9. Orangeandblue15

Jan 2, 2014
    I'd like to know who you are to be calling people clueless ingrates (can you blame me). I won't be holding my breath.

10. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, I am not claiming that it was the best. But it was REALLY good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Orangeandblue15

Jan 2, 2014
    Funny thing is that nobody has claimed it was the best.

12. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's like saying the only problem with the Titanic was the iceberg in its path.

13. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    No, it’s like saying that without the design flaws (i.e. the performance by the defense), the Titanic could have survived hitting the iceberg, and as a matter of fact, should have survived the iceberg. A sister ship of the Titanic with the design flaws fixed survived 4-5 torpedo hits in WWI.

Design flaws doomed the Titanic, not the iceberg. Our defense was the major issue this year, and sunk the team’s playoff chances.

• Like Like x 1
  14. username

username GC Legend

Aug 17, 2017
    Ok so are we getting ash or what

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    That’s an absolutely fair stance to take

16. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    That brings us to another important part of all this. People push the development abilities of this coaching staff often and say that the recruiting is absolutely sufficient to get where we need to go. They can’t have it both ways because if I’m to believe that the dev side of this is as top shelf in all areas then the def should not have been as bad as it was. If recruiting wasn’t at least a minor issue then more of this staffs recruits should have been playing this year in year 3.

Seems like we lose nuance in here from time to time, this all one way or the other stances folks take in here are asinine. I totally believe the development chops of a lot this staff are top shelf(not all but a lot). I also believe that coaching only goes so far , at some point you gotta have the horses.

A fair view imo is that most of this staff has earned enough rope to hang themselves with (I.e. knox)(hev is more diff to defend bec ol perf and Rec have been mediocre at best )

I also believe that any objective fan would also understand that if you’re not starting a larger number of your recruits in year 3 left from a 4 win team then recruiting could stand to be looked at a little deeper.

I personally don’t think either hill is worthy of dying on because both have merit. We can stand to up our recruiting game , and this staff has shown lapses in critical areas that have cost us at times. It doesn’t mean blow all of it up , just that areas have to be addressed. I just hate it when anyone that offers an opinion that some things could stand to be improved are greeted with a Scarlett letter like we’re less of a fan. Anyone shouting the other side down when that person has a valid point for or against is just absurd.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't agree with your analysis of the Titanic. If there was no Iceberg, the Titanic would have survived in spite of design flaws since it wouldn't hit an iceberg. Plenty of Cruise ships never hit an iceberg and thus have long service lives.
    Our D, arguably 1/2 the team, had many issues that went into it's performance. Excluding the cotton bowl, our O was good enough to win had we not played teams like A&M and Bama (assuming LSU was a fluke).

18. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You must be fun at parties.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    ^This

I think Ash would be a great addition to the staff but perhaps the delay is with Urbs taking the Jags job. Ash would definitely be a consideration to join Urbs along with several current Ohio State assistants which would really hurt Day who has never had to assemble his own staff.

20. 31g8r

31g8r All American

Oct 20, 2013
    this is a fair assessment in normal years. Covid delayed/stopped the offseason improvement of those year 3 players. Essentially you are talking about a development level of a RSF end of year not fully developed Rsoph player ready for season 3. As far as 4-7 win talent, bad coaching can effectively hide good talent (see all those players who have gone to the league on offense off of Mus/Mac teams while underperforming as unit at UF)

We aren’t quite to the point of talent overcoming decision lapses in game yet (keep in mind even superior talent cant overcome true bone headed decisions ex. KS fake punt at uga) It is a really tough standard when you need to perfect every game with all decisions. I’m not overlooking what appear to be routine choices in terms of game management. Keep in mind a more balanced offense wrt to running the ball effectively will make game decisions easier less controversial after the fact. I will say that knowing your defense is suspect will alter choices made during the game that cause people to question the decision.

The defensive game struggles that is a can of worms that has been opened repeatedly.