Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Coaches on Defensive staff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I have ignored Skink for a while but since I see you referencing his post, did he call our D a bunch of scrubs? That's pretty laughable.

Does it make someone a "true Gator" to trash players like this so long as they keep the Head Coach out of the crosshairs? (I think the answer is, obviously not.) Many of the defensive players deserved better coaching than they got this season, and that falls on Grantham and Mullen.

Even if those players were scrubs and coaching couldn't save them, who's fault is that? This was Mullen's third year here, and he had a number of his recruits and portal players on the field. Does he need five years to recruit and develop his own team?

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    But if the negativity is honest? I like your view, but unfortunately, its just not realistic in a large setting.

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    You left out a key word, being arguably. And I stand behind that statement. We averaged over 500 yards a game vs all SEC competition. Doesn't matter how you get there. Yes it is arguably the best offense we've had and whether or not you argue for or against that it was good enough to win a championship if not for ARGUABLY our worst defense ever.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    You really don't believe its arguably the best offense in Gator history?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    You mentioned that we were a 4 win team a few seasons back. If it wasn't a talent issue, that means getting back on track isn't as difficult as it sounds.

6. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    You can call me clueless all you want, but I'm referencing stats and data which are literally the "clues" for how our coaches perform while you ignore them and spout just your opinion with no actual facts or data. So I'll ask again what makes your opinion superior to mine?

7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You make a good point man, but this was not a championship team. We had the QB and TE of a championship team, but there were too many holes in other key places - like o-line for openers

8. novagator

novagator Junior

Jun 20, 2014
    No he did not call them scrubs. I was just saying that they weren’t scrubs and their poor performance this year is on coach Grantham.

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Correct. We were too one-dimensional. Trask and Pitts and Toney were awesome.

10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

We were a 4 win team 3 years ago. And that was coming off a near decade of mediocrity. That makes recruiting more of a challenge for the new guys - that goes to why we didn’t build a solid 3-deep in record time.

11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The answer to your question is too lengthy to post here - even with paragraphs :cool:

12. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    We were 6 pts away from one and had we only given up 45 instead of 52 we would've won one so I'd disagree. Were we the most balanced team? Absolutely not, but to act as if we were so far away seems like a very big stretch. Especially when despite our lack of balance we put up 46 on Bama.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Please go ahead. I'm not scared of reading.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Hint Hint: the only hole was the defense. While not running well we still scored a boatload of points against everyone.

15. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Recruiting for the new guys is a challenge because they aren't good at it and they have their own rankings. Recruiting really isn't all that different from when mcelwain was here, but the offensive coaching and off field is 1000x better. Recruiters recruit. I do like how we jumped from a 2 deep to a 3 deep.

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. marlingator

marlingator Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    Georgia
    My daughter went to Ole Miss as well. You should spend a little time in the Delta. There are lots of folks that have more money than you would ever imagine. Most of them are Ole Miss grads. Many have places at Sea Island. One I met owned the King and Prince.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd have to agree with you on this one. It's hard for me to pick at our O this year (it was really good!) when our D was as bad as I can ever remember.

18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Nobody is picking at our O. I am simply pushing back against the hyperbolic claim that this was the best offense in UF history. Fred Taylor, Terry Jackson, Eli Williams, Riedel Anthony, Ike Hilliard, Quezzie Green, Mo Collins, Donnie Young, Zac Zedalis, Jeff Mitchell, and a guy named Danny might agree with me on that.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  19. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    You know, you’re kind of high up on your horse right now tbh. First you brush off “arguably the best offense” comment and then push blame on our Oline being the reason we are not a NC team. I’m sorry but I don’t know our punters name because he was never on the field. Our O scored points on way more drives than any Florida team I ever saw....regardless of if it came by run or pass. Our D was the one and only reason we are not playing in a championship game. I mean our opponents literally knew how we were going to attack them and they still couldn’t stop it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Where do you come up with this BS? I never pushed “blame on our o-line being the reason we are not a NC team”. How absurd, and you totally made that up. I did cite the o-line as one of the reasons this wasn’t the best offense in UF history.

“High horse”? LMAO