Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Baseball Stadium added link to UF's latest video 9/19/19

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, May 6, 2019.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I am going to miss a lot of things when Perry Field is no more.

I am especially going to miss Dave Fuller's orange seat when all the other seats are blue.

And of course I will miss all the other history in that piece of land that is now going to be just one more football facility. An old-timer told me that Sandy Koufax pitched there, but he couldn't remember if it was an exhibition or as a member of the 1954 U Cincinnati team. Or maybe he just made it up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    For me it will be strange when its gone. I went to 5-6 games a year when I was a student back in the mid 80s but I don't remember much about the stadium. I wish I could. Even seeing some old photos doesn't really help. I wish it mattered more; it should matter more. I don't recall any games having much of any crowd back then. Maybe I just picked games that were not well attended. I do remember the slope in left field for some reason.

3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

Are you saying that ol’baseball fans and ol’fishermen have something in common?;)

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    You mean that they embroider the truth a lot?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I think lobbying ADSS on that very thing, moving the seat and the plaque to the new digs, could bear fruit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    But it won't be his seat.

7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    When I got to UF Fuller was head baseball coach, an assistant football coach and he taught PE, he taught Tennis and Handball to our class, he did his best, Handball I could play a passable game Tennis not so much :)
    my how times have changed

• Like Like x 2
  8. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    This morning I Sent this email and a much shorter tweet, the twitter handle and email are at the bottom, if you have a minute and agree that there should be a memorial/recognition to Dave Fuller at the new park drop ADSS a note or tweet, doesn't take long and it could make a difference, and it can't hurt :)

Good Morning Scott,
    I am writing to ask that in your planning for the new baseball stadium you find a way to have a memorial for Coach Dave Fuller, at the Mac there is a plaque in the walkway and the chair that was his seat is Orange while all the other seats are Blue. Dave was a great coach and worked tirelessly to build a strong program at UF, he was the coach when I arrived in '66, back then salaries were not like todays's and he was also an assistant football coach and taught PE, I was in his Tennis and Handball class.
    I have been talking with many of my friends who are avid Gator baseball fans, season ticket holders and regular attendees at the Mac. Dave meant a lot to all of us and if there is a way for you to build in some recognition of his impact on Gator baseball I and countless others would be pleased and it would carry on a well earned tradition of recognition to Dave's service.
    Thanks a bunch for all you have done and continue to do for UF athletics facilities and otherwise.
    John Hotaling (the old guy with a pony tail that bugs you from time to time :)

administration@gators.ufl.edu
    Scott Stricklin (@ScottStricklin) | Twitter

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  10. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It struck me that I don't even know when they moved to the current baseball location. My grandad played late 20's/early 30's but I never asked him where the field actually was.....maybe they played in the current location but not sure. The above is one of the oldest I could find that clearly shows current location

• Like Like x 4
  11. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    P A Lee was the handball legend as a teacher years ago. Looked like he was 80 years old (back then) but would kick your butt hitting that spot about 2 inches above the ground every time and you'd just look at him and ask yourself "how is my great grandfather kicking my butt"!

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I met PA but never played against him, knew his daughter when she was teaching at Lincoln MS in Gvl, very nice person and a terrific teacher, wish we had had Handball in PE back in the Day at Clermont High :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    @wingtee on the mound that day??

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Look how far out the batter is on his front foot. Definitely @wingtee on the mound.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    There wasn't much shade back then either.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I appreciate the photo. It looks more like a sandlot between home plate and the dugout. I guess we didn't have a grounds crew back then or were they the relief pitchers.

17. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    back in the day they called the grounds crew "Assistant Coach"

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    This stadium will be forgotten very soon when the new park is ready. Perry Field , the MAC is just a Park. Nothing special , didn’t attract students to fill it and not a real fun place to hang out. We will all get over it by the 2nd inning of the first game. This from a guy who pitched a lot of innings there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    And all you pitchers get a rake , hose , chalked and get busy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. 74nole