Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Never Thought this ...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ofmgator, Nov 13, 2021.

1. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    They could have dropped 77 points on them. We need a defense. Simple as that. Jesus!

2. FusionGator

FusionGator All American

Nov 15, 2015
    Good grief! Things have gotten so bad that now we have fans attacking other fans for being the wrong kind of fan - Old School vs. New School.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    OP changed his post because it originally didn’t mention coaches. Look at the first few replies and they’re calling out that coaches are to blame too. Also didn’t say that some deserved to stay IIRC. Basically just said all the players are to blame and need to go.

I have no problem with what they posted now.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

The players that have consistently underperformed and seemingly given half effort should be advised that they are not going to get meaningful playing time, and that if they hope to have some future in college football or beyond, that it might be advisable that they consider another program. Many players on the defensive line looked flat out of shape and the overall defense team looked weak.

I think any wholesale changes to players should only happen once a new coaching staff is put into place. It is hard for a coach getting paid 10 million dollars a year to fault loafing players when his program has not beaten a top 25 team all year, and has won five games against teams that HS programs in America could beat.

Yesterday's game demonstrated conclusively that it is time for wholesale changes to this program. I can understand us struggling a year or two with a HC who is new to a big program and has to put into place the right staff and players so that his system can work, but when you have a defense "playing" like that on a power 5 level, it proves that the current administration is incapable of competently managing the task before them.

5. ufmc84

ufmc84 GC Legend

Aug 13, 2017
    A team being led by a poor leader isn’t playing hard so pull their scholarships was the original idea of this thread. No one is advocating quitting but of all the ideas about improving this team that ain’t it. Shifting the blame to the players and “firing” them because of a failed coach is not going to improve this team in anyway. If the players need their scholarships pulled for whatever reason this administration or staff are not the people to do it. This isn’t a generational gap disagreement, this is endorsing a categorically horrible idea and spreading out some of the blame from the people in charge. It’s up to the next coach to fix the broken locker room, not the current coach to ruin men’s future while walking away a multimillionaire.

• Winner Winner x 3
  6. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    This thread. SMH

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Elam needs to get his resume ready because he's not ready even for an NFL scout team. He was consistently outplayed yesterday again. If he's ready then Washington should be the 1st pick in the draft.

8. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Regarding effort:

It is my opinion that a player gives subpar effort because he is some combination of lost, demoralized, or in less common situations, trying to protect himself (like a clear R1 CB not dying to come screaming into the C gap to stuff a 3rd and 1 power.) Even that last one is understandable, and his draft stock is partly because his default effort is outstanding.

So when I see some of this “effort”, I do not believe it is a conscious player decision. He either doesn’t fully know what he’s doing or is pretty certain that what he is being told to do is destined to fail, likely because he has lived the nightmare over and over.

Just want to be clear, because I often point out effort. But players are almost never mailing it in. In addition to most of these guys being uber-competitive, they also understand that putting that on tape is the ultimate self-sabotage. They simply aren’t doing that. They are with almost no exception being put in bad spots and are flailing through it.

I don’t think our D understands what the plan is. Why did the DE’s run out of the counter against LSU every time? Seems to me that was their assignment, and it resulted in them looking like they weren’t trying terribly hard. But did they know that the assignment was a fail, and thus neither busted it getting upfield NOR crashed down into those pulling OL? Imagine that quandary. Can’t go rogue out there, but also understand that the call is bad. What do you do?

Why does every DB stare at the QB and never look up receivers after the snap? Looks like crap effort when a simple route tree runs guys into gaping holes, but is that it? How is it EVERY DB does it that way? A half dozen guys choosing to not cover, relentlessly? Nah, that’s the plan. And they are also now in the same sitch. No faith in the prep and plan, no commitment to any particular choice because it’s mass confusion, and now it looks like an effort problem.

Even the tackling. When you know the assignment and can anticipate run support, that is far different from reacting continuously, which it appears our guys are doing.

All that to say that when I criticize effort, I also understand that it is almost always a problem with coaching, not an individual player problem. Those guys are happy to bust ass all day every day, they just have to be empowered to let it all hang out.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    I disagreed with some of your post.

Are you standing at field level? Bc if you are watching on TV …no way you see this…

‘Why does every DB stare at the QB and never look up receivers after the snap? Looks like crap effort when a simple route tree runs guys into gaping holes, but is that it? How is it EVERY DB does it that way? ‘

Pre snap reads v routes …no one watching’sees’ where DB is looking.Pointing to the sidelines is a visual cue of course.Where is he looking? Anybody’s guess.

I’m seeing missed assignments everywhere. The 5 yard- 10 yard cushions drive me crazy.

10. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    This is sad. You don’t consistently play inconsistent without a multitude of issues. Recruiting. Coaching. Desire. Work ethic. Our D sucks. You can’t put the blame on one group alone. I don’t care if you hate your coach or want him as your best man, you should play every damn game like it’s your last for the simple reason that you should hate to lose. It’s called pride. You want to win every checker game and every one on one driveway basketball game. That’s what makes it fun. And our players need to see and hear that from their teammates and coaches. But if they don’t, it shouldn’t matter. This ain’t rocket science.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Wow, so thought provoking and judgmental. Thanks
    I guess I could make some of my own judgments but I won’t, I don’t know you or anyone else on here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I didn’t call anyone out specifically. We can find a safe space if you got triggered.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  13. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I resent the comments about the so called"old school guys" because I'm not only one of them but I proved myself in the military where we all pulled together for one another regardless of who was calling the shots. All of this "watch me" crap when someone scores or stops someone with a good tackle is BS. Posing for the camera shows that it's all about the individual. Watching the DB's making arm tackles and not following the play makes me angry as a fan and die hard Gator. Either give it your best or go somewhere else !

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gator matt who's on the field ? The players and they're the guys arm tackling and stopping before the play is over. There is no will to win on our team right now!

15. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I get what you’re trying to say. I dont think you’re saying don’t have fun but kinda the room too.

16. FLIPCUP

FLIPCUP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I hear you and it sounds good...but I am not buying it. You go by the name as Coach. Should know better. Great coaches have great impacts, from little league, High School, college, olympics and Pro's. Very much like parenting.

17. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    I'm not saying it doesn't play a part, but high performers are self motivated. But yeah there's a good portion of roster that needs somebody to get them going. I always had a hard time faking it. Was usually at my best when a lesser player on team had a big moment for them. It always got me pumped and the team fed off it. They always played their best when their lead dog was fired up. No doubt teams will often take on the personality of the coach.
    So yeah a coach can elevate a team for sure. But that shouldn't be required against a team like Samford. A normal competitive athlete's intensity should be enough when the talent differential is that wide. So when the performance is that bad, there had to players out there with a dead a$$ and not playing up to a normal athletic intensity.

18. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I blame the cat we paid 7.5 million dollars proportionately more than the measly stipend and tuition (and broken promises) we paid the players.