Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Never Maskers Please Read

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by scrappygator, Jun 23, 2020.

1. scrappygator

scrappygator Moderator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I have been asked to opine on my personal feelings about this article. It states what I firmly believe in items 1 and 2.

There is no excuse for a grown person, not to be caring enough about their fellow man/woman, to not wear a mask the short time they are in a store. To me, it is an F you to everybody that has one on.

Someone mentioned that their sister has asthma, and it was recommended she not wear one. That is legitimate, but other excuses are bogus.

The multitudinous non-maskers aren’t a monolith, of course, but most can be loosely organized into two groups:

1) Self-centered narcissists, who simply refuse to make the smallest sacrifice for the health and well-being of others, because they’ve been so weaned on individualism and have so little appreciation for interdependent community—that anything less than completely unfettered freedom feels restrictive.

2) People with such a cultic adoration of this President that they refuse to wear a mask, because to do so would mean that he was wrong all along and that they were lied to and that we are in grave danger—so in an oxymoronic attempt at self-preservation, they swallow a toxic cocktail of tearful nationalism, Fox News fakery, macho flexing, and willful ignorance—and kill people to own the Libs.
    A Mask is a Stupid Hill to Die on, America

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    • Agree x 12
    • Come On Man x 12
    • Winner x 3
    • Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  2. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I actually kind of think it's funny that the best thing for Trump's reelection chances would be for the Corona cases to bend down rapidly and put down the risk of second shut down and economic collapse that would go with that ... you know, make Trump look competent and successful in spite of himself ... but it's the Trump supporters that are trying to make Trump look as incompetent and ineffective as possible.

• Agree x 3
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Off-topic x 1
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty sure that if you try and gaslight the other side you at least have to put some of your own commentary in front of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Honestly, we have to wonder why the SEC hasn't come out with a "wear a mask if you want football" campaign. I'm in the camp that still believes our leaders are not doing everything they can to get the results they are looking for. But to that point, there is a third group:

3) People who are not presented with the challenges related to the spread of the virus. People that have not been properly engaged by their communities to be encouraged to wear masks. Believe it or not, not a lot of folks go out of their way to read up on COVID and learn about the value of wearing a mask and how it can help others.

There has to be another mechanism (preferably, one that doesn't make the issue political...cough-#2-above-cough ;) ). We've even had some of our county commissioners caught without masks.

I support mask encouragement; I don't support mask shaming (that is about as productive to mask wearers as people shouting you are going to hell is to Christians).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    I have never worn a mask and I recognized Donald J. Trump as God Emperor. This thread offends me.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Never maskers seem to place paranoia, conspiracy theories and partisan ideology ahead of their own lives and the lives of people in their community.

I think that pretty much makes them stupid.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. archigator_96

archigator_96 Sophomore

Apr 8, 2020
    There's is a 4th category. Those that don't mind wearing a mask but have a million other things on their mind and forget. I have one in my car and have literally gotten out of my car and almost to the store and turn around to go back to get it. I might think about the virus once every 5 or 6 hours. There are probably a lot of people that think about it once every 5 minutes.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Scrappy, you do need to add something of your own commentary to start a thread. Not just a quote and link to someone else's take on it.
    thanks

9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

My sister got cursed out in the store for not wearing one. She has asthma and her doctor told her not to.
    There are idiots on both sides of this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Staggering we are still arguing over this.....

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article243395651.html

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

The thing is I think the bad attendance at the OK Trump rally was at least in part due to people taking the risk seriously. They basically said it would be a free for all up front, and not even the Trump superfans want to die for their big wet president.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Blatant bothsidesim (literally!)

"I have asthma" should diffuse that situation.

I am giving the benefit of the doubt to folks publicly condemning others for not wearing a mask (never maskers, of course). Those folks are willingly endangering the lives of others.

Would you call a man an idiot for telling a fellow hunter stop pointing his rifle at him?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

So an asthmatic mom of three walks through a store with no mask, gets cursed out, and you equate that to her aiming a gun at you?

14. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I said pointing, not aiming. One implies threatening intent, the other casual disregard for the lives of others.

You can pick apart at the analogy all you wish. It's a common diversion method which gives them limited benefit.

Your curser assumed your sister didn't have asthma. You assume the curser isn't in a high risk group (e.g. diabetes). But yeah. He's an idiot.

• Like Like x 2
  15. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Posted link in Florida thread.
    A study done by Tampa General and USF

87% of tested positive did not wear a mask.

Edit, not hospitalizations but tested positive

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This stat seems out of context with the idea behind wearing a mask.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Way more on one side. The people with a legitimate medical reason for not wearing a mask are very few and far between.

I assume she was taking extra precautions as the fact she has asthma in no way limits the possibility she may have the virus. I certainly hope she does not, btw.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. 14serenoa

14serenoa Living in Orange and surrounded by Seminoles... Premium Member

Jul 28, 2014
    they appear to make masks with air vents...

19. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I edited it was tested positive not hospitalization

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t even wear a mask when robbing banks because I’m not going to live in fear.

• Funny Funny x 10