Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Netflix Documentary about AH

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by AlumofUF, Jan 16, 2020.

1. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I’ve been over on Too Hot a decent bit. Just don’t follow college football and recruiting like I use to. Picked a good time to do that.

Saw this documentary and wondered what GC was saying about it. The Too Hot board thread did not have much on it as it said to see this one. I wondered over.

2. hawaiigator

hawaiigator Junior

Sep 9, 2018
    Just watched the first episode, thought the exact same thing

3. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

Watched last night and my range of emotions went from disgust to anger to feeling a little empathy(Not respect!). Beyond just the "Entitled jock loses it and murders someone because of CTEs" like OJ or unfeeling sociopath story, it was a real commentary about our current culture of violence(adoration for urban thug culture), surface appearances, judgment, throw away people and moral decadence. AH gravitated towards that stylized version of a hard gansta, which makes money on Madison Avenue right now. Being "dissed" and not taking it is a real sad way to be in life, be that enslaved to your own ego and paper thin masculinity. The culture is rotting and it's infection is taking down not only kids in the 'hood, but kids in the burbs of all shades...drugs, narcissism, violence, dependence, and hopelessness. Just really sad.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Watched yet another documentary on him last night on DiscoveryGO...(originally aired last year at the same time)
    All three of them say basiclally the sane thing....but the one on Hulu was so drawn out that many parts that a lot of it seemed exaggerated....
    It could have been done just as well in 1 1/2 to 2 hours...

And, the sad thing is...once the 1st documentary was rreleased over 3 years ago, making and airing 2 more seem to be starting to beat a dead horse now....

And, not surprisingly...every one of them arer aired during recruiting season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    I haven’t seen the doc but this is a tragic and complete error.

AH had serious mental and medical abnormalities that made him the way he is. Society captures the gangater life and has always glorified it but the reality is that it’s either mental health or money making gangstas. The “hood rats” are just people that wanna have a cultural identity and grow out of it. Trust me on this one.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Did anyone catch the one on Reelz? It is called Aaron Hernendez's Killing Fields. I came away from the one on Netflix thinking the QB and his dad were kind of over the top. However the one on Reelz actually has an interview with his supposed jail house lover who has love notes AH allegedly wrote to him. There was also a male stripper that he brought to his house to get paid after a "party" was cut short - he said he and his friend barely escaped with their lives.

Aaron Hernandez's Killing Fields - REELZChannel

7. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The part about UF ended with a slow moving aerial shot while the voice over bloviated about how so many things are swept under the rug by people in power in college towns when this much money is on the line. And i think it mentioned law enforcement as well specifically. It was a terribly done piece, and you could tell they knew nothing about college football.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. rabidgatorfan

rabidgatorfan VIP Member VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I saw all three parts of the Reelz one this weekend as well. All I can is AH had serious problems and many people's lives are altered because of those problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    That dude was a freak athlete, too bad his demons took over. Watching him play- he was the true hybrid. Bad dude though, bad dude. Too bad.

Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Sexual identity issues, father abusive towards mother, mom hops in bed with uncle before dad’s corpse is cold, plays college ball for Urban Meyer. What could possibly go wrong?

This could be my extreme dislike of the man coming through but if anyone or anything related to UF should get any black marks it should stop and start with Urban.

If Urban was 1/4 of the man he claimed to be at the time, ( we all know what horse shit that was), he would have at least tried to take AH under his wing and give him what he needed. Instead he, like most others in Hernandez’ life, used him for what they needed him for and otherwise let him drift.

I am far from an apologist for criminals, and Meyer may not have been able to get him on the right path, but when he was 19 years old, there was one and only one man who could have gotten his attention and helped him turn his life around. That was Urban Meyer.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm only one episode in, but the family life sounded far from normal. His dad was an alcoholic who allegedly smashed his wife's head against the sink until she was unconscious.
    Aaron said he "made her life a hell".

12. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I think it's your "extreme dislike" for the man which is coloring your judgment.
    Coaches are not miracle workers. They can try, but they can't erase years of problems.
    And they have 85-100 young men under their wing. Along with all the other problems that come with coaching ball. Like winnin ggames.
    Along with other behavior problems, along with making boosters happy, etc.
    And then they have their own family to nurture and love.

It's asking quite a lot of any man that he be able to spot a problem from 1 of his 100 charges, and then fix that problem.
    And what about other player's problems? Is Meyer supposed to fix all of them too?

And he has to perform these miracles in just 3 short years?? (For AH?)

Nah- I really disagree with this. Hernandez had some bad circumstances but other people have had far worse.
    And they don't end up killing people.
    It's not Meyer's fault. It's Aaron Hernandez fault.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I land somewhere between you and "Distant".
    I certainly can not fault Meyer, but I think you are absolutely right that he could have done more - but didn't care enough .... beyond winning .... to do so.

14. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Meyer kept trying to keep AH from going back to Connecticut on their breaks....
    That's where his "gangsta'" buddies were, and he got drawn into that....most likely because those same "gangsta's" were the stereotypical "hangers-on"...the homies, who keep tellimg him he's the best, that want to be his "entourage" as his success grows.
    Areas around Bristol, CT, are some nasty places...(just as there are areas in lots of towns and cities)

Combine that with all the life situations, and there's a potential problem...

Now...on to another topic.... the CTE's......
    I would venture to say that many, many more of those hits to the head occurred in the NFL, and not while he was playing with the Gators

15. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Gotta disagree with this. I think Meyer became AH's father figure. I actually inferred that that's part of why AH came to UF and that the family atmosphere was good for him. Granted, Meyer might have entitled some of the athletes a little too much, including AH, and there might have been some minor trouble he got into at UF, but it sounds to me like AH's time at UF was maybe the most stable period in his life.

It all kind of fell apart as soon as he went back to New England.

16. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    That’s one of the things I was referring to. Meyer recruited well using the “family atmosphere”. Was probably exactly what AH wanted to hear. Probably took him about a month to figure out that Meyer was feeding him a crock of crap. I have no doubt that Hernandez wanted and needed a father figure. Unfortunately for him, Meyer wasn’t it.

It was obviously falling apart when he was in Gainesville, it just hadn’t exploded yet. It doesn’t take kids like AH long to figure out if people really care or if they are just using you.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  17. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I think blaming Meyer falls into this coach worship that so many are guilty of. Thinking they can solve all the problems, or conquer any demon. They can't.

Question to - I think we can all agree that Tebow is the opposite of AH. So does Meyer get any credit for Tebow's amazing success and humanitarian accomplishments?
    Tebow certainly loves and adores Meyer. (I've heard him say so.)

So does Meyer get any credit for Tebow? Or was Tebow was already like this when he arrived at UF?
    I think Meyer should get a little credit, but the lion's share goes to Tebow.

But perhaps the same thing could be said for AH.

18. oldgatorman

oldgatorman GC Legend

Oct 20, 2014
    No.

19. gatorfan01

gatorfan01 Freshman

Aug 21, 2018
    How do you know Meyer didn't do anything? Look at the college football now. What happened while he was in UF, happens every day in college town that doesn't mean Coaches know in advance those killers. When you run program as big as UF and in charge of 100 students and coaching them up, there are far more important things to deal with than sit down with AH and preach him 7 hours a day. Meyer is easy scapegoat for lot of people on this board although killing happened 4-5 years after he left program and went to professionals organization where they literally have private investigators to vet players and all the resources in the world to deal with this type of behavior issues. And still we have to blame Meyer for everything.

20. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    No coach worship here, and I certainly don’t think they can solve everything. My point is that he didn’t try. As aka said; he didn’t care enough.

The Tebow analogy isn’t valid. Tebow didn’t need Meyer, or anyone else to be a father figure. He already had one who had done a fantastic job of raising a great kid.

AH, however, did need one. That’s what any man with his normal wits about him could see. Meyer failed in even trying to fill that void, much less being successful at it.

If a coach is going to recruit young men with the “I’m gonna take care of your son, I’m going to be like a father to him while he’s away from home” line, then when the time comes to walk that walk he needs to do it.

Meyer cared and still cares about one and only one thing; winning. He doesn’t care about doing it the right way, or doing right by his players as young men. He only cares about doing it.