Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Netanyahu tells Israel ‘We are at war’ after Hamas launches an unprecedented attack, killing at leas

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Oct 7, 2023.

1. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    well if it makes everyone feel better these aren’t my unique ideas. I’m just piecing this together from several sources. It’s not like I did my own recon in the field lol

2. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    yeah. Experience is so overrated. I’m getting a much clearer picture now.

Meanwhile you’re colleague on here continues to tell me security council meeting below on may 25,2022’ is an opinion so there’s that.

not trying to change anyones mind. I have trained with some of these guys before. Had a guy I train with locally leave when this mess started and I haven’t heard a word. Hope he isn’t one of the ones you want to sacrifice to make this conflict more equitable. I know I would stand post anytime with him and them (women). They are first rate. You do you

9042ND MEETING (AM & PM)
    SC/14904
    25 May 2022
    Ninety Per Cent of War-Time Casualties Are Civilians, Speakers Stress, Pressing Security Council to Fulfil Responsibility, Protect Innocent People in Conflicts
    With civilians accounting for nearly 90 per cent of war-time casualties and humanitarians threatened with arrest for providing aid to “the enemy”, the Security Council simply must do more to ensure the protection of innocent people caught amid the conflicts raging around the world, experts from the field told the 15-nation organ today, as over 70 delegates denounced its inaction and explored ways to stanch the suffering during the all-day debate

Last edited: May 15, 2024
  3. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    If you are asking me to speak for Israeli strategy I cannot. What I can say is the people I know are not the least bit deterred by what other countries think about them and the methods they use to survive. The only ally they care about is the US and I can tell you the US knows and knew their strategy from the beginning. The treacherous decision to withhold weapons was a surprise but the Israelis are not going to stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    I know they aren’t. And the us is withholding only a small number of bombs it’s not like Israel is going to slow down. I still think long term their strategy is not sound. But it’s ok to disagree.

5. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...srael-shows-images-gunmen-un-site-2024-05-15/

note this key section:

"We also can't have anarchy and a vacuum that's likely to be filled by chaos," Blinken said during a visit to Ukraine.
    The remarks drew an apparent Israeli riposte, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu saying post-war planning was impossible without first completing the demolition of Hamas.
    Netanyahu was later publicly challenged over post-war plans for Gaza by his defence minister, Yoav Gallant, who said he had tried to promote a blueprint for an alternative Gaza administration made up of Palestinians, but "got no response" from various decision-making cabinet forums under Netanyahu.

— there is no plan for what comes next. This is like the us in Iraq in 2003. The dog has caught the car and is just hanging on for the ride. It’s absurd that we all just assume they have any long term goals besides war at this point. Very short sighted.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

You mean like the Ukraine war that has no goals whatsoever and no finish line? Why aren’t we cutting back on what we send to Ukraine?

7. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Are you shitting me with this comparison? It’s two completely different things…

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. insuragator

insuragator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with some of that, but Wiki is a poor source, but if you take a deep dive The British Empire set the stage for most of this.

9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

What plan is there in the Ukraine war? Keep sending Money until they win? You just don’t like the comparison. And you have no answer which is why you are upset.

10. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    That really hits the situation squarely. Who knows what happens to the Palestinians or what's left of Gaza. The Palestinians have no way of rebuilding due to the economic blockades that are in place. Being cynical, listening to Jared, it's all about a real estate transaction “It’s a little bit of an unfortunate situation there, but I think from Israel’s perspective I would do my best to move the people out and then clean it up. But I don’t think that Israel has stated that they don’t want the people to move back there afterwards.” Opinion | Jared Kushner's absurd ideas about Gaza are a preview of Trump's policies

11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I disagree. Imo, the policy is to limit the use of large ordinance which causes much more civilian casualties. It is a rational response to Net disregarding legit concerns

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Biden bent over backwards to scream his threat at the top of his lungs. That’s not usually how things are handled when you have a disagreement with your ally at war. Biden had ulterior motives, IMO.

13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    How can they leave Gaza? Has Israel or Egypt provided an exit that I have missed and even then it has been reported that hamas was shooting people trying to flee

14. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    After the Ottomans decided to jump onto the losing side of WW1. If only the Turks had been smart enough to stay out of that war ... but they just couldn't refrain from engaging in that "jihad thang"!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    What is the formula being used? How many women and children can be killed to kill 1 hamas fighter?

16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    He raised objections via diplomatic channels multiple times and the concerns were ignored. What options did he have? Upped it to public objections, no response other than fu. Net played a stupid game by totally dismissing us concerns so he won a stupid prize. More weapons approved today. He is making rational decisions to support their goals but not their use of blunt force with no consideration for civilian casualties.
    If the world wants to help end this, they need to laser focus on putting the hamas leaders abroad in jail or in the ground. Cut off the head rather than allow them to live unabated in Qatar and elsewhere.

17. insuragator

insuragator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Turkey is an interesting piece of the puzzle and always has been. WW1 was a cluster for sure. Super changed geographical lines and millions of lives. Gramma was born in Romania, moved to Austria and the family fled when Germany collapsed economically. They then emigrated to Canada. I am going way off topic but WAR should be avoided at all costs. No one ever needs to lose their son or daughter!

• Like Like x 1
  18. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Actually no, you're just all sorts of wrong - but I guess you're used to that.
    1. Ukraine was invaded (without provocation) and is now occupied by a world superpower, so they are fighting a defensive war against a foreign aggressor who is much more powerful than they are. There is no comparison to Israel. Israel was attacked by terrorist organization, who did not occupy shit. Israel then invaded Gaza as a reprisal, and is now basically occupying and destroying a civilian area with over 2 million people living there.
    2. Whereas Ukraine has killed maybe a couple of hundred of Russian civilians in over 800 days of war, Israel has already killed 20,000 or more civilians in 7 months of fighting.
    3. The goal of the Ukrainian government is to retake all of the land Russia has occupied going back to 2014, and then to force them through the international community to pay for the rebuilding of the country. Those are the published stated goals as of right now. Even now, the international community is working to basically steal frozen Russian assets to pay for reconstruction after the war. So yes, in fact, there is a plan in Ukraine. Now are these realistic goals? Probably not when it comes to retaking land - but Israel's goal of destroying Hamas isn't realistic either - so I guess they do have that in common, at the least.
    4. Whereas foreign powers could choose to come in and help Israel at any time, the world does not have that luxury with Ukraine because it could inadvertently start world war 3. Much different stakes in the Ukraine war than the one in Gaza.

Honestly we could go on and on - the two things are entirely different, and yes, there are currently many plans for post-war Ukraine, and many plans to try to help Ukraine win the war.
    The comparison is childish and ridiculous.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    In my experience, there is no such “formula” per se. But the governing math is generally not “how many X will this mission kill” as much as “how many more of our ground forces will die making this assault without this airstrike?” The targeting team makes a collateral damage estimate, shows the decider the projections with and without the strike, and the decider either chooses one course of action or the other or kicks up the decision to higher headquarters if they do not have the authority to incur the risk.

20. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    I have addressed that exact thing. If Hamas is holding its own people hostage and not allowing them to go to the humanitarian areas that Israel has set up, then how is that the IDF’s fault? Should Israel just say, “Oh, well, I guess Hamas has got us. Nothing we can do. Time to go get ready for the next October 7th, I suppose.” I guess I would prefer Hamas or its successor group saying to itself 10 years from now, “Uh, no, remember what happened last time? We took a whole bunch of Israeli hostages and hugged our own population … but the Israelis came for us anyway. Let’s not do that again.”

• Winner Winner x 1