Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nembhard withdraws from NBA Draft, but now is Transferring.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by theforevergator, May 30, 2020.

1. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Maybe he'll send a link to NBN to get the waiver :devil:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. potomacgator

potomacgator All American

Apr 8, 2007
    The following is the explanation in Eric Fawcett's article on this site why Nembhard's game did not fit our present team:
    "... The dribble-drive offense White has tried to play never fit Nembhard’s more cerebral style of evaluating defenses before making a read, and the lack of players capable of playing in transition never allowed Nembhard to push a fast break like he did at Montverde or with the Canadian National Team."

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And what was Noah's career 3 point percentage versus Humphrey?

4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I was thinking Scottie Lewis was a good one to have on the team for transition type offense...he and Mann I thought were prototypical for that style, no?

5. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Cute, but you’re the one who implied that Nembhard could finish at the rim better than Glover. I simply asked you to look it up, in which case you would have discovered that Glover made 53.8% of his 2’s and Nembhard made 51.3% of his 2’s.

6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And AN had to play at crunch time against good opposition and Glover played his most minutes against a crappy Vandy team.

7. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Cute, but you’re the one who implied that Nembhard could finish at the rim better than Glover. I simply asked you to look it up, in which case you would have discovered that Glover made 53.8% of his 2’s and Nembhard made 51.3% of his 2’s.
    True, but that’s on Mike White, not Ques. Ques was 43-80 from 2, of which 3-5 was against Vandy. AN was 98-191 from 2, of which 1-2 was against Vandy in that same game. That doesn’t tell us much. I watched both of these guys play in high school. AN was a very good player in the role that he played at Montverde. His primary job at Montverde was to get rid of the ball quickly to the scorers, especially to RJ Barrett. Ques also played on a very good team, but he was the star of it and showed tremendous athleticism as well as being a very good scorer, ballhandler, distributer and defender. Based on what I saw of Ques in high school, I expected him to get meaningful playing time at the point. I was wrong, and I think that White was wrong in not giving him those minutes. We will have to wait and see what happens to both Ques and AN. It should be interesting to follow.

• Like Like x 1
  8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I think these two are made for transition basketball as long as they remember to bring the ball along with them. :cool:

That was a problem for them at times last season. I think they both showed improved ball security as the season progressed (particularly Lewis!) and I'm optimistic that will help us push the ball in transition more often next season.

I think KJ was also really coming on in his ball-handling/passing/decision-making (all important in transition basketball) the 2nd half of last season. So, if Appleby/Glover are also effective in the open court, I wouldn't be surprised to see us running much more frequently next season. I'd love to see it!

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I would imagine we will see a lot more of Ques this coming season.

I expect him to make a nice jump in his role - making a significant jump from freshmen to sophomore . He had some swagger in h.s.....I’m thinking that will be on display more as a sophomore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. g8rnc

g8rnc All American

May 13, 2015
    Can’t help but think that this aligns with the lack of player development seen in other players in White’s tenure. I imagine that he feels he has not made the growths that he expected to make and thinks he can develop better somewhere else. His choice of transfer destination will be very interesting.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Wish AN all the successes in the world!
    Welcome back Tre!!

We are set and I think we should all feel optimistic about the coming year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    I felt that AN wasn't particularly quick, but when he wanted to be aggressive he could play near enough to what Coach White wanted. When AN wanted to be spectacular, he could be. I just don't think it was in his "DNA" to play aggressively & he seemed more comfortable taking long reads before making a decision.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's my thoughts. Lewis yes but Mann not so much. I went to see Mann play several times in high school and he was most comfortable as a wing player. When he did bring the ball up he most very methodical and was more concerned about the ball position on the floor to start the play, kind of like Nembhard. Part of that is coaching, but rarely did I see Mann try to take advantage of a defense or push the ball up. An ex HS coach that lives in The Villages and went to every game, home or away, told me his biggest issue with Mann was he played to humble, meaning he passed it off too often instead of finishing at the rim. The games I saw he seemed like a streaky shooter from 3 but was better as a mid range shooter and working his way into the lane. So I have my concerns about Mann stepping up in transition. I do think he could be very good at it with his athleticism just not getting the ball up the court.

• Informative Informative x 6
  15. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    A lot of people on here screamed at me when I said before the season started that Mann was likely going to have a tough adjustment to playing the point at UF considering that he played the 3 in high school. Based on the game that I saw the Villages play against Tampa Catholic in Tampa, I came away wondering why the Villages coach didn’t play Mann at the point. I know that he had 2 good sub-6 footers on the team who started at the 2 guard spots, but it’s not that often that a school like the Villages gets a player the caliber of Mann. I did like the fact that when Mann got the ball and penetrated, he looked for teammates to pass the ball to. It was just strange to me to watch a team that had a McDonald’s All-American on it, and 2 little guys had their hands on the ball a lot more than did their superstar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    That wasn’t fake news. That’s for sure.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yep that's what I saw. I never saw Mann play when he was in Gainesville but maybe someone on here could add some comments if he played more PG when he was shorter as a freshman or even as a middle school kid during summer leagues. The Villages had a pretty good PG that was like 5-10 and signed with a low level D1 team (I think???) but Mann never seemed to push the ball up the court with or without the ball. Mann was primarily asked to stretch the defense from the far wing and be ready to attack if the ball was swung back across court. Sometimes he did and sometimes he just dribbled thru the lane. Regardless of how he scored Mann still averaged about 29 points a game and could have averaged 35 or better if he didn't pass so much. I will say The Villages team was put together by a handler out of the Orlando area that brought in Mann from Gainesville and 3-4 guys out of the Orlando area and had a lot of say on that team. They weren't kids that grew up in The Villages. HA!!! It makes me wonder how much Mann is still handled even now.

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    The "kids" in The Villages are all in their 50s.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Per Adam Zagoria, Gonzaga, Duke, Oregon, Memphis, Georgetown, UCLA and USC have "reached out" to AN.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    The scouting reports suggested it was him. Athleticism issue.