Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nembhard withdraws from NBA Draft, but now is Transferring.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by theforevergator, May 30, 2020.

1. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Did not see this coming! Wow!

certainly opens the door of opportunity for another Gator!

makes you go hmmmmm....I wonder now, if CMW was frustrated with AN’s game and maybe voiced it a few times in private, all the while heaping accolades in public on AN?

2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Also, I'm going to safely remove our name from the Ryan Nembhard sweepstakes.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    While I think it was really good for Nembhard’s game, I wish he hadn’t missed last summer with the gators.

now I wonder if he might have given rise to some early season disjointed play? Team was used to fast break transition &DDO offense, I am speculating, in AN’s absence....then, a totally different rhythm with AN present. I’m thinking: We could have been a much more cohesive team had AN not played for the Canadian National team.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have a research assignment for you. What were the 2 point field goal percentages of Glover and Nembhard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m not suggesting that he should have started. However, the kid got 11 minutes per game of playing time as a freshman. On a per-40 mpg basis, he averaged about 14 ppg, 4 rpg, 2 apg, and 2 spg. His 2pt% was 52% and his 3pt% was 40%. That’s pretty good for a freshman. His reward was to get 6+ mpg in his sophomore year. At UNC Wilmington, Okauru had 14 double figures games with a high game of 22. I’m not saying that the kid is great, but he could be a solid bench player on a high major team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    So any sources gave out a reason why he's choosing to transfer? It's not every day that a starting PG of a solid program chooses to transfer to another school. Especially with having to sit out a year.

7. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Reading the tea leaves I think it was Nembhard or Mann, and Nembhard made the choice for them. Just my guess

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Other than a true family emergency, I can't imagine any viable waiver reason he could claim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Best wishes to him where ever he goes.

10. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    This is just my opinion so take it for what it’s worth. I’d say that White is smart enough to know that another season of underwhelming offense and barely making it in the tournament wasn’t gonna do much for his job security so he had a good conversation with Nembhard about things needing to change. Nembhard was probably told that he wasn’t gonna be a good fit into what White wanted from this team this upcoming season. So, this left Nembhard with the tough choice of playing overseas or transferring. Again, this is just my speculation and it may be totally off base.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Pure speculation—if he has to sit out a year he’s off to G-league or international. Europe is no longer the only good non-US place anymore

12. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    i think sign of the times as much as White or this program. Kids are much more about finding the right fit for themselves these days, rather than stay in a not quite situation for 4 years. I wish him all the best...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I like Andrew a lot and wish him the best. But he was projected as a 1-2 year player, and the staff recruited accordingly.
    And so there was a logjam at pg. Was AN pushed out? No.
    But if there was to be an open competition for starting pg next season, I don’t think Andrew would have won.
    He likely recognized this in practices, and made his decision. I am surprised he isn’t opting for g-league or overseas. Another year of college seems odd.
    I suspect waivers will come easy this year due to covid.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    My two cents for @GatorLurker and @tampajack1. Sorry if I'm not being clear both of you are right, in a way. TJ might have a stat that says Glover had a higher percentage of hitting two's or layups over Nembhard but GL has an important point that finishing is not only about making the shot. Sometimes the more productive player passes up a shot for a better high percentage dunk, or passes to the corner for a very good 3 shooter, instead of forcing a shot in traffic. I get finishing is a simple stat to look at if the ball goes in. Glover often zigzagged around to confuse the defense and sometimes his own players that got him some easy layups, but not his other teammates. Instead Glover ended up with more mistakes in the paint for the few opportunities he created in a herky jerky approach in the lane. We all know these players offer different aspects for the offense. How that transpires for better offensive plays in 2021 remains to be seen.

15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Besides, we have filled our schollie numbers. If he chose to sign with us we would have to lose another player.

Perhaps he could sign with us and then leave to free up the space? And so on and so on.

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I like this take. He just...ran out of time based on his original plan. I am not sure whether Mann's decision was based on AN's or not. To me he just never got to the next level in his sophomore season; he merely hit his ceiling. I go with plenty of players who were middling in college but had the game to play in the NBA. I also go with damn fine college players whose game was not NBA material (Mateen Cleaves comes to mind).

But to the former, if the system was not a great fit to your game (Jordan and UNC?) there is something that says you have skills that work. Andrew never showed me he has NBA skills. Damn fine passer but the league wants speed or height or both. The only thing that makes sense for his decision (unless this is merely an interim step) is that he was told that G-league and international ball is so up-in-the-air that to make a bet there is very dicey. So transfer and hope that the NCAA grants immediate playing time.

Anyway, thanks for your contribution to my team. You are a quality man.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    2021 recruit.

18. Zepgator

Zepgator All American

Oct 18, 2010
    Hate? I didn’t read anything that was hateful. I don’t agree with all that was said, positive and negative- but haven’t read anything that resembles “hate”.

SB Nation had a survey in 2016 that branded Tenn as the worst on social media and Sat Down South in 2017 that Tex A&M as the worst recruiting visits. Bleacher poll in 2011 said LSU had the worst fans with Bama #2. That Under Armour one you referenced was in 2015. I guess it all depends on which recruits you speak to. All big time universities have tough fan bases - none different that ours.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I hope your take that Appleby was destined to win the starting PG job, regardless of AN returning or not, is accurate. I doubt AN thought this considering how supremely confident athletes are in their own abilities. But he had to see the logjam in the backcourt, and that a reduction in minutes and a de-emphasis on the ball being in his hands as often was imminent.

I've got to give White credit if he made these things clear to him and "moved on", so to speak, once AN put his name in the draft (again). I had come to believe last season that AN was his ride-or-die PG, and felt he would handle AN with kid gloves this off-season. Granted, part of this assumption was tied to little bro's recruitment (I really didn't know if he was a priority recruit or not). I'm glad White didn't let AN call the shots this off-season.

20. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm a big AN fan. But my local paper had a tiny blurb on his leaving, and paragraph two lead with "The slow-footed guard...". Oomph.

• Funny Funny x 2