Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nembhard withdraws from NBA Draft, but now is Transferring.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by theforevergator, May 30, 2020.

1. theforevergator

theforevergator Sophomore

Nov 15, 2017
    From Jeff Goodman on Twitter:

BREAKING: Florida’s Andrew Nembhard will withdraw from the NBA Draft and intends to transfer, source told
    @Stadium
    . The 6-foot-5 sophomore point guard averaged 11.2 points and 5.6 assists per game this past season and should be a pursued heavily by other high-major schools.

So he will sit out a year and this insinuates that our system is holding him back? Good luck, Andrew.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tc7

tc7 Junior

May 5, 2015
    kinda odd

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Is it our system holding him back or him holding our system back, or both?

Odd to take a year off though..

Experts?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Good luck, Andrew.
    Seems the G-League would have been a better choice, though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. VTGator

VTGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Hopefully Appleby is ready to step up and take the reins.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    In the right place and the right scheme, in a sets-based offense with talented interior players, he will be a big success. But two years in a row, he entered his name in the draft. If AN was going to be content playing collegiately, it wasn't going to be at UF.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. wa_gatorfan

wa_gatorfan Freshman

Oct 3, 2019
    Someplace where he's allowed to pound the ball for 25 seconds every possession.

Probably a great move for him, Florida seemed like a no win situation for the kid.

• Like Like x 1
  8. xenythx

xenythx GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Might I suggest Virginia and their slow-ass brand of basketball?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. theforevergator

theforevergator Sophomore

Nov 15, 2017
    Wisconsin?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wa_gatorfan

wa_gatorfan Freshman

Oct 3, 2019
    Something like that. Someplace he can dominate the ball, though, and I don't think Wisconsin is that place.
    Someplace he can play in screen roll 90% of the time and probe, probe, probe like he does.

11. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Thanks Andrew for the two years! The SEC tournament run in 2019 will be remembered by me for a long time. You and KJ put the SEC on notice, even the NCAA. Good luck in pursuing your basketball goals. You will be missed.
    Hopefully you will get a shot at the NBA and you stick. Thanks for being a well composed student athlete and representing the Gators, you only are young once, so make it count.

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Thank you for properly submitting your question. The answer is ‘both’.

thanks

the Expert

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. wa_gatorfan

wa_gatorfan Freshman

Oct 3, 2019
    That's a good, thoughtful post. Kid drew a lot of criticism here but he did give two years and undoubtedly gave his best effort.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks Andrew! I wish you the best of luck in the future!! (except when/if you play against the Gators)

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. GATORJV

GATORJV Junior

Oct 10, 2014
    I never understood the hate for AN. Some of the responses in this thread are a good example. He gave more to the program than anyone posting in this thread and you're going to hate on him? I don't get it. It reminds me of when a survey was done with recruits in football that asked who the most annoying fan base on the internet was.....Florida fans were number 1.

I wish the best to AN. I can't hate on someone who is doing what they determine is in their best interest. Good luck AN. Thanks for the blood, sweat and tears you put into the program.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Wish him well. May have to sit out a year, if does not get a waiver. If so, the move is strange. He started for 2 years for Coach White, but seemed AN was always looking to leave, declaring for draft after first two seasons and even last year when played for the Canadian team all summer and early Fall rather than helping develop with the UF basketball team. Need kids that want to be around the program. We need a PG that can hit his free throws as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    7 transfers in 2 years.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Well, this in an interesting turn of events. Hope he finds the right place.
    As for us... PG = Appleby? Glover? Mann? My guess is Appleby but that's based only on what I read on important Internet basketball message boards. If he's not quite as good as advertised, Glover will do a good job in the starting role.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    That's honestly not a bad fit. I was thinking a very methodical team that actually has an established, efficient offensive system.....as opposed to our hap-hazard offense that gets scrapped in-season. He's a smart player that could thrive in a good half-court system. He's still not an NBA player. Too limited athletically, with limited shooting and physicality. That's Europe all the way.

I'm actually shocked at this turn of events. A transfer for a kid that played 33 min a game. Unless he's got a really good case for a waiver. Otherwise, I can't help but think White might have nudged him out the door. Maybe based on promises he made to other players? He might have told him he was recruiting on the assumption that last season would be AN's last. Appleby obviously didn't come here to sit a year and then ride the pine.

• Like Like x 1
  20. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    White boxed himself in by giving Castleton a scholarship. He was going to have to push either Mann or Nembhard out the door. If Mann also decides to transfer, I wonder if there is a chance that we could pick up Figueroa. That would be a miracle.

• Like Like x 1