Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nembhard Continues to Impress

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorPlanet, Jul 3, 2018.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    • Like Like x 5
  2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Good article. Should be a good leader in the floor and get ball to the right player. Needs to improve free throw shooting and get stronger in weight room

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    I wonder if @Efawcett7 is starting to think Nembhard could be a one and done? I'd hate to lose him, but if we do it means he will have had quite a year which = lots of fun for us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

So, is he now a one 'n done?
    I had the sense that he was a great passer with a lot to learn. I would like to hear from those with insight. How long does he play for the Gators?

• Like Like x 1
  5. manigordo

Guess we thought the same thing/same time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Hard not to, when he's playing with the national team alongside pros. I'm very interested in how this plays out now. It seems he's improved his jump shot, but it's streaky could be more work to do there. Personally I think we have him for 2 or 3 years, but if we only have him for one we could be very dangerous between him and Hudson next year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

I think he could be.

A big factor in this situation is that the upcoming draft class is really weak which could make nembhard projected even higher.

He has NBA level passing and instincts and good size and NBA squads will love that. If he shoots rje ball decently this year I think he might leave.

8. Efawcett7

Every time I see him he's looking better. After high school I thought he wasn't great at finishing at the hoop, and he went out against great athletes in the showcase games and finished through contact. I also thought he wasn't a great shooter. Then he started shooting awesome at the u-18s and with the senior national team. Like you mentioned, he is really getting better every time I see him

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    He’s not a one and done and I’m a huge fan.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't see him as a one and done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Efawcett7

I think in a "normal" draft class he's not a one and done but in what will be a weak draft year especially with point guards I think he might decide to declare. I hope he values development more than the chance to get drafted at a potentially higher number though.

12. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    It would be great just to have a player that sparks one-and-done speculation (no idea if Nembhard will be that guy). It would be refreshing if the Gators had a legitimate NBA draft prospect. Bradley Beal was a long time ago and I think a Gator going in the first round would help our recruiting. Frankly, Nembhard being a OAD player of the first rd variety (plenty of OAD guys make awful decisions and don't/barely get drafted) would be a nice problem to have.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    He will be a NBA player but not after one season in college. Has to get a lot stronger and improve his shot. The way White is talking, he may not start this season. Okauru has a year under his belt and White likes experience.

14. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    The competition will be healthy for both players. White wants the battle to go on into the season, and I think their minutes will be split pretty evenly until someone clearly separates themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. manigordo

Thanks for the responses. As others have suggested...this speculation is the best problem to have!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. themistocles

themistocles Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Speculation on Nembhard's One-N-Doneness are speculations. Shai Alexander, was not thought at all to be a One-N-Done prospect coming in 3rd or 4th among Ky's incoming class last year, but he proved far better than anyone anticipated.

Regarding such thinking, I will note that right now, Coach White is recruiting two very highly ranked HS PGs according to 24/7 in Tre Mann (Nat #37, Pos 3, St 6), and Kyle Sturdivant (Nat #123, Pos 14, St 10). Both of whom show interest, with Mann, its Fla, Tenn & Kansas at the top right now, and with Sturdivant its Cal Berkeley, Clemson, UF, Ga, Ga Tech, OSU, Ole Miss & USCw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yep. In no way should an incoming freshman be just handed the job without winning it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Okauru can't run the point for us as the main guy, unless he has some kind of ridiculous improvement since last season. He is more of a 2 from what he showed us.

19. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Well, give him a chance. The sophomore season is typically when you see the most improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I agree with that, but my point was that Nembhard will probably be our starting 1. I have high hopes for Okauru.