Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Neil DeGrasse Tyson vs Ben Shapiro on transgenders in sports

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 108, Mar 18, 2023.

1. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    I think at the heart of it, a large swath of conservatives just don’t agree with allowing the freedom to express yourself as LGBT, regardless of the sports question.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Call me old school, but I draw the line at men beating up on women.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    I agree with ND. I don’t care what people do. Just don’t require me to participate through force or fraud. Unresolved sports is correct. We segregated sports out of fairness. Do we segregate sports based on hormonal range or bone density? Do we agree to dissolve title IX? If not, why not ? That’s to be resolved for sure but as it stands now my opinion is biologic males should not be playing in women’s sports. Anecdotally as i said before. I enjoy participating in MMA. I work with women with more experience and technically more skill(high degree BJJ and MT) but when we spar I absolutely have to go at less than 50%. I remove certain combination/ strikes head kicks etc. based on attendance sometimes it works out I will spar a younger male and the same Thing applies. I’ll slow down, won’t strike near capability, will be cautious on any take down etc. should I be able to compete in any of those categories Because we live in a free society as ND states? As he said. Who gives a shit ? I don’t think I should. I also Don’t care what you smoke,who you screw, what you eat or how you dance.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Women just need to come to grips with the fact that men are just better, even at being a woman. :emoji_joy:

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
  5. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Yeah, they need to calm their asses down.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's right... we men need to stick together and put woman in the place at all times... we're are the superior gender in every single metric. Screw those high estrogen weaklings. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I think most conservatives don’t care what a grown person wants to do to their body. Don’t force it on us or kids.
    With that said, it makes zero sense to allow a biological male to compete in women sports.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  8. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I wonder when besides sports the LGQBT community “forces” anything on us other than to accept their lifestyle. Other than gay and lesbians, I don’t understand what possesses one to adopt that lifestyle, but it’s not at all difficult for me to say “whatever makes you happy.” I do agree there ought to be an age limit (adulthood) to “trans”, and that transgender men ought not be allowed to compete as women.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    bless your heart Rick

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    upload_2023-3-18_18-2-55.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    RW constantly having things “rammed down their throats.”

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Let’s see how the new standards play out. To me it seems a waiting period with no hormonal therapy in play and meeting certain testosterone standards with hormonal therapy probably gets closer to the right answer, but having only 4 years of eligibility puts inherent pressure on the issue.

And I don’t think this is a case where one side doesn’t want to allow for gender dysphoria and transition, it’s the immediate eligibility that was problematic. And unfair, in my opinion.

Apart from inherent physical advantages, frankly I wouldn’t want my daughter in the locker room while Lia Thomas was walking around with her/his junk flopping around.

https://www.transathlete.com/policies-college

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Generally agree with ND, it doesn’t matter except for sports. I do think it matters for sports, and until you can come up with a different construct, which I don’t think exists, biological sex is the best you can do.

It does matter to a degree in terms of gender reassignment surgery, and is that something that insurance should cover. I don’t think that’s an insurmountable issue

Also I’m a bit uneasy with the glamorization of transgenderism and the influence that has on teens/children, especially those with mental illness or are just socially awkward.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    As a conservative I can say we don't care about anyone expressing themselves. We care when others are expected to play along. Nobody is stopping a man from pretending to be a woman. People will stop him from beating women in sports and won't want to participate in the charade though.

If a man wants everyone who comes to his house to refer to him as a woman that's fine. If, however, he wants to go to McDonald's and insist people call him ma'am that's not acceptable. They can play along if they want, if not then suck it up.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Really?

foricng someone to bake a cake they don’t want to due to religious beliefs? How long has that been a legal battle?

how about the sheer amount of teachers in some school systems with books, flags, posters, or even homework about gay or trans material?

Can we get a show or movie anymore without someone who is gay or trans?

Didn’t Disney exes just not to long ago say they are going to ramp up gay and trans material in their movies and shows?

I find all this ironic because how many people wanted Christianity not thrown in our faces yet now the same people who used to complain about this are ok with throwing lgbt stuff all over.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  16. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    To people like you, not denying the existence of LGBTQ is "shoving it in your faces."

• Come On Man x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  17. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    I think Cameron Kirk and Sorbo are still making movies that appeal to your sect. As for TV there’s all of Fox News and the 700 club. AM radio is your safe space.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    The feminists are preparing to picket your house.
    ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Dude, you might want to give Christianity a try. That might help you with your problem.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    First, what’s my problem?

Second, i grew up a Christian and more or less live my life as such.

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1