Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Need to Deploy Access Database

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by MGGator, Aug 12, 2018.

1. MGGator

MGGator Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Treasure Island, Fl
    I am not an IT guy so this need to be the dummy version.
    I have an Access database that needs to be used by 5 users in different parts of the state. This is for a nonprofit group of writers so limited resources. Have looked at Sharepoint and this does not seem to be an option. Twenty+ tables and forms, 30+ queries, 30+ reports and growing.

2. solari

solari GC Janitor VIP Member

3. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    The Zoho Creator link that Ray provided is probably the easiest approach to solving your dilemma. Access does not support direct deployment on a wide area network. It does work decently as the backend database for web access but that requires that all the forms and queries would have to be rebuilt in ASP (Active Server Pages) or some other web platform. That is moderately serious development and, therefore, not inexpensive.

This article, Remote access for an Access Application, gives a number of options that COULD be used but pretty much says you are not going to get anything that isn’t painful or expensive to implement.

By the way, Access gets a horrible rap for many poor reasons. It is really a great product for a fairly narrow range of applications. 'Real programmers' hate it because it isn’t ‘real’ programming. The biggest complaint about Access is that it is very slow. My experience is that almost all these cases are caused by the system being built by people who did not understand database design so the table structures were horribly inefficient. Unfortunately, it looks like your organization has pretty much reached the point at which Access cannot provide a good solution.

Wish I could offer a more positive answer. Hopefully, the Zoho Creator is not too expensive and will give you a good way to proceed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. MGGator

MGGator Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Treasure Island, Fl
    Thanks, I will look into Zoho.

• Like Like x 1
  5. solari

solari GC Janitor VIP Member

They do offer a free trial and free migration so it might be worth your while to speak to someone at Zoho that handles migrations to see what they think.

Ray

• Like Like x 1