Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Need cooking tip on prime rib

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub & Grill' started by GatorLegend, Dec 23, 2020.

1. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Have a 12 pound standing rib roast I’m going to cook on Christmas Day. Would like to cook it so that it comes out medium rare. Got a recipe from my sister in law but she usually cooks her roast till it’s medium to well done, which I think ruins it. Any suggestions on how long to cook in an oven and at what temperature?

2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    In my one restaurant stint where we served prime rib we put the oven on 450 and cooked the roast for about 30 mins then reduce heat to 350 and for med rare it was 15 minutes per pound ( a 15 lb roast is around 3.5 hours)or an internal temp of 130 degrees- for best result pull it out at 125 degrees and let it stand for about 20 minutes before slicing and serving

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. etennant

etennant Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville
    Chef John's Perfect Prime Rib

I was very wary of this method until I did it. I have used it numerous times now. You do have to follow the directions though. It cooks for one hour, then you turn the oven off and let it sit undisturbed (no door opening).

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks Gators!

6. PCBeach

PCBeach Freshman

Oct 24, 2007
    Ingredients
    1 (10 pound) prime rib roast
    10 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons olive oil

2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons dried thyme

Directions
    Place the roast in a roasting pan with the fatty side up. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Spread the mixture over the fatty layer of the roast, and let the roast sit out for at least 1 hour.

12 mins at 460
    8 mins at 400
    15 mins per pound at 325

Pull at 125 internal temp.

Allow the roast to rest for 10 or 15 minutes before carving so the meat can retain its juices.

After rest temp should be 135 for medium rare.

• Winner Winner x 1