Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Need advice re: cutting the cord.

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by GatorNorth, Jul 24, 2018.

1. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    The HOA at our beach condo terminated the basic cable contract to our building.

In retaliation, MediaCom increased our monthly (now individual) cable and internet bill (with no notice) by almost 300%. So I’m going to terminate.

Anyone on here cut a cord? What’s the best way to do it and still see live sports, movies and get local channels (can’t do outdoor digital antenna due to HOA rules and most TV towers are 30-40 miles away)?

Thanks in advance.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    You are still going to need high speed internet

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Depends a lot on what you want to watch. There are tons of options

For gator football and basketball, slingTV pretty well covers you.

What else do you watch? This will decide what service(s) you'll want to subscribe to. Like:

Netflix
    Amazon
    PSVue
    slingTV
    Hulu
    HBO now

These are all $10-15/mo. Each. So you'll want to be selective. Somefolks bounce from one service to the next depending on what they're watching. This is why a viewing history will help people guide you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Sorry, should have been clearer. Will have that through the building. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Thanks. Mostly sports and cable news. Some local TV for NFL. Have U-verse at home so I’m thinking we may be able to stream premium channels from the phone or iPad. And already have Netflix account.
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  6. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    It’s a great opportunity to disconnect from the ‘cable news’ nonsense, your mind will appreciate it. Go to the beach and relax! Some indoor antennas do work for the local networks. You can watch basically anything you want now through one of the internet based portals. Cutting the cord was one of the best things I’ve done.

Another article on cord- cutting, it’s definitely growing.

Cord-Cutting Keeps Churning: U.S. Pay-TV Cancelers to Hit 33 Million in 2018 (Study)

• Like Like x 2
  7. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    You'll be fine but it takes getting used to. The good news is that you will save money. I had to upgrade the internet, but the savings were significant. I get all the football I need, the digital interior antenna gets me the locals, and I get to pick the shows I want to watch whenever I want instead of when the broadcasters decide.

Have fun with it, it is somewhat emerging technology, and I for one would love to hear what others are doing, maybe I can incorporate some of that into my setup.

8. LeafUF

LeafUF GC Hall of Fame

May 1, 2007
    Wandering
    For the local channels you can get an indoor HD antenna. You will need a pretty powerful one though.

And since you have uverse already all you really need is an internet connected device. We use a fire stick on our TVs but there are a bunch of options like that to get any content you want. On the fire stick you can download an app for just about every station you want and login with your home cable info.

9. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

In your case, you might look into Xfinity.
    Still tons of channels (including sports)

In your case, with the HOA restrictions, it might very likely be one of the better options.

10. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I had a question about data uses. I bought a TCL Roku TV that is wirelessly connected to the router. Cox is now telling me I'm using up data too fast and need to upgrade my plan, or they will charge me an extra $50 for 500mb overage penalty. Is that Cox being Cox, or how can I measure data usage myself? Anyone know?

Thanks guys.

11. COGatorman

COGatorman Gator with Altitude!

Jan 2, 2010
    Westminster, CO
    There is good advice here, but I will add a couple other things.

I use PS Vue after ditching Sling. More of a channel preference thing than anything. There are others like DirecTV Now (or whatever they call it) and at least another one that escapes me. Definitely look at prices and channel options - they carry a lot.

We also have Amazon Prime with Starz and Netflix, so I ain't saving much.

I have a very good, boosted antenna in my attic. Cost about $150, but I get over 90 digital channels (although several are QVC and crap like that). It is inside my attic, not outside. Google "antenna ranges" and you will see how they are rated and links to a couple sites that you can use to see how many over-the-air channels you can get in your location.

Finally, you can tell your HOA to piss up a rope if they try to stop you, should you choose, from installing an external satellite dish! DirecTV and Dish Network put forth an AMAZING lobby and restrictions on small dishes are now illegal, just like covenants that restrict ownership based on race, etc. DAMN good lobbying!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Also thinking about cuttin. My wife has stopped me because she's worried about how we'd get to watch gator games not on the major channel. Any advice?

Seems ludicrous not to cut, especially since we don't watch much tv at all.

13. LeafUF

LeafUF GC Hall of Fame

May 1, 2007
    Wandering
    Every CBS game is available over the air so that is no problem. For the ESPN games you can go monthly with one of the live providers that offer SEC Network for the season. Or, borrow a friend who still has cable's login if you have someone who wants to share that with you.

14. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    We cut the cord about 9 months ago. The thing that changed for us was....we got rid of our landline. The reason (we have Verizon FIOS) is because if you get internet and a landline phone, it is cheaper to get the TV thrown in in a bundled package than getting those individually.

Anyways, other than getting banal live TV shows (my wife's is the HGTV stuff) I don't miss cable TV at all. I used the 7-day trials for Sling, Vue and DTV Now and it was fine but I don't get any jonesing for signing up.

BTW, I mean the way you get rid of cable is to get something like a Roku. I think their product is the best. Anyways, as I have said to people who don't get it, Roku is like a smart phone designed for your TV. You get the "phone" and then you get the apps to run on it. You would be amazed what kind of TV content (ie, the apps) companies and organizations are putting out there and most of it is free. You can get a darn good imitation of The Weather Channel, you can get many different news feeds - and without the many commercials - for getting your news if you can't pull them in via the airwaves.

Movies are crazy plentiful, as long as you don't want A-list movies for free. The HBOs and Showtimes have their apps if you want theirs, it just costs you a monthly fee. We have signed onto Cozyflix for our simple date-night movies and we also have One America News for the real national news coverage instead of the agenda driven stuff ($5/mo).

Once you jump you can't believe how much better it is. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    1) Get a Roku (see above).

2) Get Sling TV with the sports addition. Use it during the sports months and then cancel afterwards. Then pick it back up when you are ready.

16. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I believe that Cox is living up (or down) to its name. They are truly Cox. My kid and husband can only get Cox for internet and it is okay with the cheap intro pricing but plainly s__ks when you have to add stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    You got me! I came here thinking I was going to see advice on how to break up with a girlfriend/boyfriend.

Carry on...

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Well, that is better than thinking it was a hippie father-to-be planning a home delivery.:eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    First, assuming you are in Florida, the hoa can't legally prevent you from having an antenna.

Second depending on the construction of your condo and the direction you are facing, you can easily pick up the antenna farm from that distance with a small antenna

20. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Thanks! This might sound bad but we've long had a roku but didn't cut cable; my wife didn't want to. But we are wasting way too much money every year.

• Like Like x 1