Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nebraska Recruiting (Frost)

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by themistocles, May 2, 2018.

1. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    We all see threads about how great UF's Rivals with new coaches are doing with a lot of sour grapes comments, but Frost was the #2 prospect for the Head Coaching position I think, with Mullen #3. Frost went to his Alma Mater, Nebraska, and I haven't seen any notes regarding how well he's been recruiting, so, I looked it up and am creating this one.

According to National Rankings, the 2018 Nebraska Class was ranked by 24/7 at #22 with 24 Prospects, 6-4* & 18-3*. Elijah Blades didn't qualify.

Their 2019 class is ranked 42nd with 4 commits, all being 3* kids (even one named Snodgrass). Further, their 2019 Offer List (Nebraska 2019 Football Prospects), although it includes 5 5* prospects and a lot of 4* prospects, has ratings of Warm for only 18 players (circa 10 4* and 8 3*) out of 273 prospects.

By Contrast, the Gators currently are ranked 17 with 8 commits, including 2 4* & 6 3*. Regarding offers (Florida 2019 Football Offers), the Gators have made a total of 304 (32 more - of course there are more nearby here), and have warms from 29 prospects, including 4 5*, 20 4* and 5 3* kids to whom offers are currently out.

If Frost were at Florida and doing the same, Chicken Little would be screaming: "THE SKY IS FALLING!"

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    But in fairness, Nebraska is a harder sell than Florida, and the state produced far less talent than Florida. So IMO it is not an apples-to-apples comparison.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    More like a corn to oranges comparison.

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I think Frost is a hell of a coach. And at Nebraska, if he continues to recruit like this, he is going to get the chance to prove it.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LFGator

LFGator Freshman

Aug 4, 2015
    My thought with both Mullen and Frost is that they have to change a mindset within the program first and that is what they are doing. You can go out and say whatever you want to recruits but until it shows on the field, you are going to have a hard time swaying most of the big names. I think that we were probably farther away than most thought after Muschamp and Mcelwain back to back and Nebraska is that times 3. Both fan bases are hungry for anything close to consistent winning and if either/both of those coaches can give that to the fans, then the stadiums will become more electric, the media will talk about the teams more, and recruiting becomes easier. Both Mullen and Frost right now are recruiting on promises and what-ifs. Better product on the field will turn that hope into reality and kick recruiting into high gear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015
    If Nebraska wins, then he won’t have any issues bringing in talent with the history of Nebraska..

If you can recruit at Oklahoma, then you can recruit Nebraska. They just need to win games and go bowling.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. username

username Junior

Aug 17, 2017
    Same for Florida.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015
    That’s not the point... The point is both can win titles and both can recruit...

9. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    You may recall that I noted there simply aren't nearly as many good prospects around Omaha, and also, if you ever been there and around the locale, it's easy to see why it's a harder sell.

Regarding how long it's been since the Gators have been winning compared with Nebraska, the table below shows that the Gators have done far better recently, although Tom Osborne had an 83.6% win percentage from 1973-97. Only Muschamp is below 62% (Zook), while Nebraska have had 2 in the low to mid 50%s. However, Pelini's 71% is high enough that some HS athletes will recall, although their high point was Osborne.

upload_2018-5-3_8-12-3.png

10. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    There are 600.000 more people in Orlando than the state of Nebraska

They have to attract out of staters to a boring ice box.

So when he starts winning it’s going to make coaches in the big ten nervous

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Sounds like maybe he shoulda stayed at ucf.

12. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    And the Surrounding States are all very tiny also (yet look at Boise State).

It's not so much the number of people however, as the proportion of African Americans for the simple reason, that just like in Horse Racing, where about 70% of the Jockeys at this year's Derby are Hispanic, and College Basketball, where probably 90% of the starters are African Americans, College Football is also largely dominated by Darker people. It's really hard to find many African Americans in that area (outside of Chicago and St. Louis, they are fairly rare out West).

13. acegator

acegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Since Mullen was the OC at UF when we won 2 NC's and seeing that he took Bama to the 25 sec mark in the 4th tied last year, I think he has less of a what if and promise situation than Frost.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. LFGator

LFGator Freshman

Aug 4, 2015
    I'm not comparing who has more of a mountain to climb between Mullen and Frost. I'm simply saying that I believe they are both taking similar approaches to creating the right atmosphere to win titles and bring their programs back to prominence. It starts with a mindset that, if it works, will make recruiting easier for both programs. They both have their work cut out for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. acegator

acegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    I understand what you are saying.

16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I hope Frost does well at Neb. Anything to make Urb's life more stressful and to put Harbaugh's ass on the hotseat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    When you look at what's been occurring in the Big 10 recently, there are clearly more decent teams in the league than there were when Meyer arrived. Not yet as tough as either the SEC or the ACC, but a more difficult row to hoe than earlier. Of course, the same is true of the SEC East.

18. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    When I look at the chart, the thing that jumps out at me the most is that Nebraska actually had a couple of pretty decent coaches in Solich and Pelini after Osbourne retired, so if they could not make it happen to the expectations of Nebraska, I find it hard to believe that Frost will make it happen. It is really hard to recruit there, and I think that the national recruiting they need is predicated on their brand, which is not what it was 20 years ago.

19. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Nebraska lost its competitive advantage when it ditched the option offense and the walk-on program.

No other way to attract top athletes to Lincoln, NE.

20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Also tougher playing in Big 10 versus no defense Conference they used to be in

Nebraska used to have West Virginia type admission standards that most kids could meet. Tougher when trying to gain academic reputation of Big 10 programs