Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NCAA's Florida baseball's all-time starting nine (1999)

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, May 23, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Wayne Cavadi | NCAA.com | February 6, 2019
    We picked Florida baseball's all-time starting nine
    Let's take a look at the Florida Gators all-time starting nine in this edition of the NCAA.com series of the best possible starting lineups for some of college baseball’s most successful programs.

Here is how we picked the team: We only considered the players' college careers. Their achievements in professional baseball did not come into play. There was also consideration given to their positional fits and how well they fit into a batting order we made that could provide a combination of a high batting averages, speed and power.

SEASON PREVIEW: 9 questions to be answered in 2019 | 5 reasons SEC baseball is

Florida is a program rich in its history of high-profiled MLB Draft talent. Gainesville is one of the premier pitching factories in the nation while lineups of yesteryear feature some of the more prolific hitters of SEC lore. Simply put, it was no easy task selecting the Gators all-time nine, but it was certainly fun.

David Eckstein, second base (1994-97)
    Bernie Parrish deserves a shout out here. The future NFL Pro Bowler hit .433 for Florida in 1958 en route to earning the first All-American honors in Gainesville. But this Gators all-time lineup is stacked with the program’s best at scoring runs and Eckstein is right there at the top. His 222 runs scored are third all-time. While Eckstein was never going to be a power threat, he racked up the hits and hurt you on the base paths with his 93 stolen bases, second in Florida lore. Eckstein’s speed and ability to make contact seems like a good mix to lead things off.

We picked Florida baseball's all-time starting nine

Read the rest then if you like post yours

• Like Like x 4
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I’ll take the backups to this team, and win a natty :)

3. salt72

salt72 Freshman

Sep 29, 2019
    If the season would have played out Barco had a legit chit at Freshman of the year. Would have been fun to be able to compare his career to Shores. Now we will never have the same sample size to do so.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Barco was a freshman twirler that already knew how to pitch instead of just throw. I was very impressed the few times I go to see him pitch.

And most importantly he gave up ZERO triples. (Shout out to @WESGATORS.)

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1