Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NCAA whiffs in baseball Non-scholarship players, volunteer coaches shafted (Bianchi Column)

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Jun 30, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    commentary
    Mike Bianchi Sentinel Columnist
    NCAA whiffs in baseball

Non-scholarship players, volunteer coaches shafted

The biggest travesty in college athletics has nothing to do with the ridiculous notion that football and basketball players should be paid lucrative salaries to compete in their sports.
    No.
    Not even close.

By far, the most monumental injustice in all of big-time intercollegiate athletics is happening in college baseball, where hundreds of “volunteer” assistant coaches are working full-time and not getting paid a salary or medical benefits and thousands of players are leaving school in massive debt because they only get partial scholarships or no scholarship at all.

For whatever reason, college baseball has always been the whipping child of the NCAA,” new FSU baseball coach Mike Martin Jr. laments.

At the College World Series, there are 30,000 people at every game and millions more watching on ESPN,” UCF head coach Greg Lovelady says. “Our game is growing, but we’re still stuck in these archaic times when it comes to funding coaching and player scholarships. There’s a feeling in college baseball like we’ve been neglected and left behind.”

The NCAA should be ashamed of itself for the cheap, chinchy way it treats college baseball’s players and “volunteer” coaches. This was brought to light by two of the most prolific figures in the sport during the just-completed College World Series in Omaha.
    NCAA whiffs in baseball

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Its shameful. One of my former guys is D1 volunteer coach now. Basically living hand to mouth to get his foot in the door. Surviving on camps and lessons

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Meat should be using Bright Futures to build his program at FSU.

Nevermind.

Why would a smart kid from Florida go play for him?

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    It’s definitely a stacked deck and the outcome of the college game will remain a losing hand with regards to these monies/funds until the rules are not changed but rewritten.

I truly don’t know if the greed for the almighty dollar and power to control the same by the current structure in place will ever give our great game at the college level a true chance for coaches to have the chance to make a living doing what they love, they’ve already earned it—

Much less the baseball student/athletes to be at a fair place in competition for athletic scholarships—

One or two or even a handful of HC’s can’t change this IMHO, the system has to be changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Softball is also affected in the same way. Rediculous.

6. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    All you gotta do is exclude football from Title IX. No women’s sport fields a team that big.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    When a sport finances the remainder of the athletic dept, it should get an exception.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    11.5 for college baseball is absurd when 20-25 guys play regularly. Ditto golf.

They can easily remedy by simply jacking up the number, for example, for women's golf to 10, softball from whatever it is to 25 or 30, etc. Then take men's basketball from 13 to say 12. By the time you fiddle diddle numbers you have 20 for baseball.

NCAA fails to acknowledge (1) population growth (2) growth of certain sports.

Look at football, guys get hammered, they allow OT instead of ties, increase # of games then do the absurd and reduce rides from 105 to 95 to 85. I'd put football up to 100.

Let the schools add some women's sports (no I'm not going to suggest pole dancing, mud 'rassling, etc) but I could spend 1-2 days and get this whole thing right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1