Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championship Meet

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by gatorpjb, Jun 8, 2021.

1. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Freshman

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    The latest USTFCCA rankings have the Gators men team ranked 14th prior to the opening of the outdoor championships on June the 9th, 2021.
    LSU remains a comfortable favorite followed by Oregon and USC. FSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Kentucky, BYU, Iowa St., Houston, NC A&T, and Georgia are all ranked ahead of us.
    The DQ of our 4x100 team is part of the problem, but doesn’t account totally for the drastic change from the Form Charts of the previous week (we fell 7 places). The USTFCCA charts predict only Fahnbulleh and Mardal scoring points.
    We’ll know the first day how accurate the charts are. Personally I think we finish anywhere from from 7th to 10th. I also think North Carolina A&T is vastly underscored at 11th. Watch Wednesday’s semi’s in the 100, 200, 400 flat and hurdles, and the 4x400 along with the HT and SP finals to see if the charts hold true.
    If only Fahnbulleh advances and Mardal scores, it could be our worst performance at the National meet in years.
    If Willie(400), Villaman (400 hurdles), Tyler Davis (200), and the 4x4 team advance and Connor Bandel scores in the SP it will be almost certain that the prognosticators were off base. It then will fall to the finals and Clayton Brown’s performance in the TJ and HJ to determine how far off they were.
    I’ll try to preview the women’s meet tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021 at 6:24 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty much agree with all of that, the rest could have done wonders for us. A good meet and top 5 isn’t impossible, a bad meet and outside of top 20 is definitely possible.
    Women seem to be more stable.

3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Freshman

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    In addition to Thomas Mardal’s win, Fahnbulleh advanced in both the 100 and 200 meters (both expected) and Freshman Ryan Willie and our 4x400 relay team both advanced. The pre meet form charts had neither advancing. Fortunately two of our best 400 meter men got healthy enough to run in the relays and Willie has improved through the season.
    Unfortunately Villaman, nor Tyler Davis advanced, and Connor Bandel did not score. I still expect a top ten finish; how high of course still remains uncertain, but the team has positioned itself about as well as could reasonably be expected.
    On a side note signee (actually a resigning) Kurt Powdar did not finish the 110 HH at the National JC meet and finished the season with a best of 13.75
    Sam Austin did not compete in the 800 at the Golden South meet, but did run in the 400 meter event, finishing second with a respectable 48+ time.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 1:03 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. BurkeGator

BurkeGator Junior

Aug 28, 2015
    I did a quick back of the envelop calculation based off last night's results and what is predicted in the Friday field events to come up with a rough event final team scores. Yes, I do have way too much time on my hands today. Several things became evident as what to expect Friday evening:

1. LSU is going to run away with the team title and if things generally hold to expected form Texas and Oregon will be solidly entrenched in 2nd and 3rd places.

2. The battle for 4th through 7th comes down to NCA&T, FSU, UF & USC. UF has an outside shot at 4th if our qualifiers outperform their Wednesday performances and Clayton Bates can score points in the HJ & TJ. The likely outcome for the Gators will be to finish 6th or 7th. Good pre-meet prediction gatorpjb. This assumes no disasters on Friday such as dropped baton, DQs or injuries. This would be a much better result than the 13th/14th place predicted finish for UF prior to the meet and given the challenges this team has faced would be about as good as could be reasonably expected.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn’t go as detailed as you, but if the prelim times for the track events and seeds for the field events hold the Gators will end up with 29 points, which historically has been around 6th. They could end up with far less or a few more as you said, depending on how things shake out.
    But my calc assumes
    7th in the 100 for two points
    1st in the 200 for 10 points
    7th in the 400 for two points
    7th in the 4X4 for for two points
    6th in the Tj for 3 points.

7. BurkeGator

BurkeGator Junior

Aug 28, 2015
    I came up with 31 points which would have us in a tie for 6th with USC. Only difference from your calculation is I gave Clayton a 7th place finish in the HJ. Even though he has the 10th best HJ in the nation going into the meet, of the remaining competitors competing on Friday he has the 7th best height recorded.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Freshman

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    The addition of veterans Chantz Sawyers and Kunle Fasasi to the 4x400 team helps enormously. Jacob Miley was recruited as an 800 meter guy and is still somewhat of a stopgap on the 4x400 relay team. I suspect that since he didn’t advance in the 400 hurdles we may see Villaman take Miley’s place, his open 400 meters best time is quite a bit faster, both have run with the relay team this year. Both Sawyers and Fasasi have all PB’s in the low 45 second range in the open 400. I just have a feeling we can exceed expectations again in the relay. A team with Villaman included and everyone else healthy is certainly capable of a 4x400 in the range of 3:02.
    In the semifinals Fahnbulleh set a new PB in the 100 meters (wind legal), but there are a bunch of talented men in the final. He certainly is capable of winning the 200, but again against a very talented field.
    The jumps are always very hard to predict, but Clayton Brown certainly has the talent to do well in both, although anything over 6th or 7thin either event seems unlikely, still strange things always seem to happen at Track and Field meets.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 3:24 PM
  9. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Fahbbulleh wins the 200 against some incredible runners. At least one bright spot for the Gators!

• Like Like x 1
  10. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Impressive. Can't watch where I am. Any other notable results re: the Gators?

11. MatsideObserver

Apr 24, 2008
    not much 7th in the 400 and that’s about it.

12. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Freshman

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    Clayton Brown also took 5th in both the TJ and HJ. The men currently are tied for 3rd with Texas but we will pass them. USC is in 4th place 3 points back. They also have a 4x400 team in the finals that is seeded higher than us, as does NC A&T. A 3rd place or 4th showing (if it happens) with the injuries we’ve had, would be one of Holloway’s finest coaching jobs.
    Absolute props to oragator1 for calling Fahnbulleh’s exact finish in both the 100 and 200 meters. It was a remarkable piece of prognostication.
    Better yet we finish better than both FSU and Georgia, both rated higher

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021 at 10:32 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. MatsideObserver

Apr 24, 2008
    Men finish 4th.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Freshman

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    North Carolina A&T wins the 4x400 and edges us out for 3rd. USC also finished with a better time but does not finish enough places ahead to pass us.
    Great job by the Gator men’s team.

15. BurkeGator

BurkeGator Junior

Aug 28, 2015
    Fantastic day for the men's track team. They did outperform Wednesday's performance in several events and Texas and FSU underperformed for Florida to grab 4th. Just missed 3rd by 0.5 point due to the scoring system when Clayton Bates tied for 5th in the High Jump. Instead of getting a full 4 points for 5th he only received 3.5 pts due to a tie. Interesting scoring methodology. Regardless, great meet for the men with bigger things expected next year.

• Like Like x 1
  16. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Fine day. Always good when you punch above your weight and beat dawgs and noles as well.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021 at 10:57 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I watched the 200 semis and finals. Fahnbeulleh is a big dude.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

With ties you take the total points available for the places involved. You then divide by number of spots. If there was a tie between 2 people for first you take the 18 points available and each gets 9.

Been that way for as long as I recall. Doesn't happen too often. They will sometimes break ties based on number of tries or misses in field events.

19. BurkeGator

BurkeGator Junior

Aug 28, 2015
    That is what happened in this case. Tie between 2 individuals for 5th place so 7 pts divided by 2 = 3.5 pts each. I would be inclined to give both 5th pace finishers the full 4 point value for 5th with the 7th place finsher(s) getting 2 points, etc. But apparently the governing powers want to hold on to the integrity of having a set maximum number of points distributed in each event thus preventing the possibility of 1 event being worth more in overall scoring placements than the other events.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. BurkeGator

BurkeGator Junior

Aug 28, 2015
    Looking back at last night's results a couple of things really stand out:

1. If Texas had held form with Wednesday's qualifications and got the expected 10 points from their #1 ranked senior TJ they would have finished solidly in 2nd with 50+ points. Instead they really crapped the bed in the TJ and 2 other events to only score 29 points and finish 6th.

2. What the hell happened to Arkansas track in the 2nd half of the season? Even with less than stellar qualifying at regionals they still had enough points earners to break the top 10 but instead finished 28th! With their history and resources that is rather a unexpected result. Even their women's team will be hard pressed to do much better than 15th based on Thursday's qualifying. Is there some wave of team dissention or mass injuries because otherwise it does not seem to make sense? UF had significant issues with injuries and no shows this season and still managed to finish 4th. Same for the women's team and they will likely finish anywhere between 4th and 8th.