Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NCAA asks Cal. Governor to deny "Fair pay to play" act

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by WhattaGator, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:51 PM.

1. top_hat-29

top_hat-29 Freshman

Aug 5, 2019
    How about the federal government pass a law stating that no person/persons/company/business/organization nor any other entity may spend more than $50,000.00 a year on advertising and/or promotion of their product(s), goods, services, et. al. ? I comprehend that such said law would have to be more inclusive of gift giving, expenses, etc. Have to work that in somehow.

Think about it.

All of the people who basically contribute nothing to society other than a little entertainment, plus a few other mindless nothing occupations such as tv talking heads and journalists, should then be paid what they are really worth. Minimum wage.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. merinker

merinker Freshman

May 28, 2019
    Ok, then take away any rules regarding age/grade or class to declare for the NFL Draft. Therefore, if you are a high school senior and want to declare for the NFL Draft you can do so and almost certainly destroy any potential professional football career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Completely agree, but most ball players are not getting a degree with marketplace application.
    I said most, not all.
    I coached a kid who played at West Virginia for four years, knew he had no legitimate shot at the NFL, and graduated with a Masters in Logistics. He entered the workforce at 80k a year.
    But he is the minority of student athletes I would wager

• Like Like x 1
  4. merinker

merinker Freshman

May 28, 2019
    lol. If you feel like you are being exploited in your everyday job then maybe find a new everyday job where you don't feel that way?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

I sure woudn't say they have "zero need" for that education....
    How many players havent made it to the pros???
    or even HAVE made it, then their career ended sooner than thought, and their education came in extremely handy.

Just sayin'

6. merinker

merinker Freshman

May 28, 2019
    I lived in a town with an independent league minor league baseball team. Every season the team asked families around town to house a player or two because they made so little money they couldn't afford even a cheap apartment to live in.

7. lorigatormom

lorigatormom Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    Can't it be both? I can hate the way the NCAA operates and also think it's not right for California to take it upon themselves to single-handedly turn college football upside down without input from any other parties or without consideration of how it plays into the future.

I'm not even opposed to players getting more $, I'm just saying this is clearly not the way to figure out a way forward.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree that it should benefit most, I am simply making the point that they are being remunerated in a very limited and restrictive currency not of their choosing.
    If a kid’s backup option is to be a plumber, go work for their family farm or join the military for a career if he doesn’t make it, college doesn’t get him much. And many kids who are very good at football aren’t academically inclined either. The money those educations cost may have been far more valuable. And a kid who has the talent to go pro would likely want the money over the degree too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    If you (hypothetically) are worried about outside money impacting college football, then this truly is a solution. People who would have made it will make it. Those who would not would feel the pain.

10. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Who is to say though? Why don't we set limits on what coaches or schools make? Some make more than others, by a lot. That hurts competitive balance as well.

Why are athletes where we have to arbitrarily restrict compensation?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Which brings this thing to a whole different level.....

If the laww passes......
    There will STILL be only a select few players who will really make any kind off substantial $$$

Yeah, some kids might make a few hundred from a "Joe's Pizza" logo on his jersay, while the better players from the better schools will make thousands from Nike, or the such.

And.... many of them will make nothing.

12. 31g8r

31g8r Sophomore

Oct 20, 2013
    Here is a unique take, unlike basketball or baseball where select few 17-19 yo athlete can compete against older players, football doesn’t have that opportunity. You get some skill positions that can compete as a true Frosh but not against top flight competition in August. We see the learning curve all season. Public appetite would really sour on the game if the NFL trotted out these young kids a cannon fodder and the league would never Draft these kids based on potential like baseball.

I could see a path of reimbursement for services from athletes attempting to capitalize on their likeness. Pay the university market value for in/out of state tuition, room, board, materials, round the year training, tutoring, medical services, travel etc.

Presently, some athletes are showcasing their talents, training, living on the dime of
    the university. Hoping to develop and become competitive enough to make the jump to the league. I would rather a farm system for those with no academic aspirations but the market has spoken loudly on marginal football beyond college the NFL.

With the relatively low number of college athletes making it into the league vs participation in all levels of college football, the colleges are are clearly footing the bill for many players never sniffing the league. The prestige, donations, recognition, etc drives the machine. The dollars generated don’t seem to accumulate in one location outside coaches. I would venture to say that TOP 10 programs despite their revenue are operating on paycheck to paycheck mentality. Yet, college football is now a multi-billon dollar enterprise. Players meet the golden goose, greed ultimately leads to collapse.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 8:48 PM
  13. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Honestly I am less worried about the nikes of the world since they have a large broad customer base and stock holders to answer to - they will pay but it will be relatively fair...and more about the T Boone Pickens/ Bobby Lowder types that will completely distort markets to recruit kids. It will become a game of most creative way to be the highest bidder for talent. And if rumors are true about how it works now, it’s a lot more than a select few that are going to cash in on the bidding war. There’s a big difference between a kid being fairly compensated for appearing in Madden, and a kid in Tuscaloosa getting 50k for use of his picture on the cover of a local magazine with 5k readers. Schools with the wealthiest and most committed alumni will win this game.

As I said, the law was well intentioned, but it doesn’t address reality, it replaces a dictatorship with anarchy. They need to find a middle ground. Which, to California’s (limited) credit, why they made this effective 2023 - they are anticipating a legit discussion from it.

But will leave the rest of the discussion to others, I have made my points.

14. 31g8r

31g8r Sophomore

Oct 20, 2013
    One potential hole in you argument is that i cant name one freshman player in the last 45 years I’ve been watching football ready to mix it up in the NFL. California has kids wanting to be professional football players but unable to compete in the NFL and now want compensation for their exploits on the HS gridiron vis a vis their likeness, SMH

I acknowledge basketball and baseball players are outside of this observation.

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Hmmm, get the sewage above board and quit pretending it’s clean is a bad idea . Not so sure it’s not a bad idea to understand why Richardson’s went to Bama.

16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The wealthy ( teams spending cash for football) are ruling as we speak. Glad we are spending money on facilities and I hope our next heisman qb’s mom gets a nice job.

17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    That does not fall anywhere close to the boundaries within which the federal government should operate.

18. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Legend

Dec 11, 2009
    They’re not screwing anything up. They’re doing the right thing and potentially leading and compelling other states to do the same. Which is exactly what should happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm no lawyer either, but why would this be different than any other eligibility rule? From the NCAA's perspective, they wouldn't need to pre-emptively ban the schools, only investigate and treat players that are violating their existing rules. Same way a Colorado football player can't smoke weed even though it's legal there. They can choose to smoke or they can choose to remain eligible...why is it any different when it comes to accepting payments?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. top_hat-29

top_hat-29 Freshman

Aug 5, 2019
    Commerce? Perhaps not but I still think it's a good idea. People who contribute basically nothing to society would be paid accordingly - minimum wage. Meanwhile this should free up money for those workers who do contribute. If not monetary gains then through cost of living, which should go down if companies are not spending millions or tens millions of dollars on advertising.

Think about it. A society where those who contribute basically nothing ( anybody and everybody in the entertainment business: everybody connected to sports : fashion, modeling, photography, journalism, lawyers, tv talking heads, hotel/motel owners, people in finance, advertising, et.al and etc. ) making what they deserve: minimum wage, while those who DO contribute ( teachers, police, fire personnel, the military, farmers, construction workers, energy, etc. etc. list is too long name ) would benefit.

• Winner Winner x 1