Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NBN'ers - time to make a decision

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Gatorhead, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    So the two marquee sports programs for UF - Football and Basketball - (Generally Speaking) are BOTH ranked in the preseason top 10.

My question for you is: Which of the two do you expect to be
    more successful this season?

As fired up as I am about football season I am equally excited (perhaps more so) about basketball.

CDM seems to have the football program in great shape but my particular choice is basketball.

Anyway you cut it the football team has a "rough" schedule and
    BAMA and Clemson still seem to have the playoffs in "lockdown" mode.

CMW went through a "tough" campaign last year but has the Gators poised to make a huge jump with the best offseason we have seen in years.

Any chance we can have CDM and CMW playing 1 on 1 after clinching national titles ala Billy and Urban?

• Like Like x 1
  2. g8rboy

g8rboy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    I'll take both in the final 4 and go from there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Which of the two do you expect to be
    more successful this season?

Basketball easily

Any chance we can have CDM and CMW playing 1 on 1 after clinching national titles ala Billy and Urban?

Anything is possible.
    What Tebow did for FB and a determined Noah did for BB was phenomenal.
    The next two years are going to remind Gator fans a lot about 2004-2005.
    High quality players operating at a high level of play.
    But winning it all comes with a certain amount of luck as well.
    Either way I'm definitely enjoying the ride!!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    At this early stage, I expect the hoops team to have a better season. Football lost more key players than most Gator fans are willing to admit. As mentioned, the football schedule is also unforgiving. Hope we perform to the high ranking, but I’m skeptical.
    There are plenty is Qs about the hoops team’s chemistry. I suspect they will come together nicely and kick some serious booty.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Baring few injuries to either team, my guess is basketball for several reasons.
    1. Basketball has the preseason conference games to give this team time to gel. I expect a few hiccups early as this team starts to figure out their roles and give the new players time to learn more offensive sets and defensive expectations. But by end of January look out, this team will lead the SEC thru March.
    2. Football probably overachieved if you look at the season at the 3rd quarter of the SC game. I certainly think they can get back there again but anything over 9 wins this year will still be a success only 2 seasons removed from 4-7. It will be much harder for the football team to win the SEC than basketball.
    3. A basketball program is a game that can be redirected faster with an influx of talent. Sure football has its young stars every year but those young stars to achieve generally have to be on great teams as well. In basketball all a team needs on the court is two quality scorers, two really good defenders, and one really good all around player to make a difference. Nationally I don't see many other teams ready to make that jump compared to Florida.
    Either way both teams are set for great years ahead but basketball has the best opportunity before it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Basketball
    It is easier for 1 or 2 stud players to make a massive impact right away...CMW legitimately signed 3 1/2 this year.

Basketball has many more games to make up for a bad night. Football does not. Have an off night and kiss NC goodbye.

Schedules....enough said.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I'm going with BB. We have many more highly rated players, percentage wise, and possibly the best player is the league on the hard court. Can't say that about FB. Roster wise, BB has much better players.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Tough to predict. I'll just be very happy if both are serious championship contenders at the same time again. Even if it's not this season, I think there's a strong possibility of seeing that situation again soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Thank you for reply's everyone -

Grant1 - It is so exciting to anticipate the coming season for both sports. UF hasn't been positioned like this for quite awhile.

But like the old saying you can't keep a good man down, would like to see UF re-claim high rankings in both sports.

Spring sports are fantastic, UF is an absolute beast in the spring but it's time to get Football and Basketball back to elite status, looks like the Gators are doing that!

10. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Hoops. In the NCAA.
    Football. Probably Citrus. If not, great.

11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Football? What is this “football” you speak of?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I think it might be fun to have CMW & CDM go Head to Head in various sports. Maybe make it a charity event. Golf , bowling, game of horse.

Maybe a team competition too.

Has CMW brought back the 3 on 3 hoops tourney? That was always a big success. I know he invited some Rowdies to play. A treat for all.

Most successful? basketball. I think we are Elite8. Possibly better. I’m predicting a very fun year.

For football. It really is contingent on the OL. If they perform: it will be a fantastic season! I’m expecting some struggles. I think the OL blossoms next year. We could still be top10 material.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    I think basketball but to be fair I never thought football would have won 10 games last year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 9 wins and a bowl would be a good year in football, anything more would exceed expectations in a major way.

Final four would be a good year in basketball. Anything more would be within expectations....so, .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Recruit 5 big-time players and you have a good chance to get into the final four. Football needs 50. Easier to turn hoops around. Plus, the coaches in basketball are part of the game more and that can be a huge advantage or disadvantage.

16. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So you are suggesting that they players listened last year when white was screaming at them to move, to communicate, and not to start the offense with 5 seconds left?

17. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Like football, love basketball. If I miss watching a football game, no big deal but hate to miss watching the basketball team play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Equally good. We will win the national title in football and basketball.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

I don't think the football team is back to elite status quite yet. We're solidly in the high upper tier but not at the Clemson/Bama level. We'll have a good year and a top 10 finish but I don't think we'll make the playoffs.

Basketball....we are a clear title contender.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Nice to be “back” with both programs! Feels good. Got a great positive buzz going!

I guess only Michigan is in our position? Who else?
    Not really Texas or the sooners?

UCF? They are thinking national championship in both sports, no doubt!

• Funny Funny x 1