Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NBA Thread: Sixers are Superior to Boston . . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatordavisl, May 3, 2018.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    . . . athletically. I know Boston has injuries. I'm talking about current rosters. What I see is a Sixers team that, if they make their shots, can't be beat by Boston. On the other hand, Boston appears to be a more veteran/savvy team. Boston must shoot much better (see game one) than Philly to win this series.

I love Big Al, but have been a Sixers fan since about 1980. I can't like the Celtics and never will. It's exciting to see these historic franchises match-up in the playoffs again (about time). Fun stuff. Again, I see a Philly team that is quite superior athletically. If they play near potential, should win this series 5-6 game. If Boston plays great, it's a seven game series. If Boston plays great and Philly succumbs to "playoff newbie syndrome," the Sixers are in trouble.

2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Brad Stevens is the man.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Apparently so . . . sixers were up about eight when I posted this. Since then, Celtics have dominated. Apparently this Sixers team is mentally fragile, ala Toronto. Let's see if then can play to their abilities and squeeze out a win in Bean town.

4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah, I figured game 1 to be a fluke and expected the sixers to take the series. They still might. Boston is so ridiculously short handed, but the poise of this team is amazing, particularly with a team lacking a lot of playoff experience. That's coming fron the top, IMO.

5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Boston has the better coach. Coaching matters in playoffs more than regular season. Talent evaluation and development better in Boston as well. Celtics trade with Philly this past draft may go down as most lopsided trade in NBA history, given the draft pick Celtics picked up from Philly next year as well

6. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    You are supposed to wait until after the game to post this. Especially after they blew a 20 point lead.

7. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Celtics have Scary Terry. That is all they need.

8. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Hmmm.... Scoreboard?

9. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Both these teams would fall to Cleveland. With Thompson finally playing like he wants to play, Cavs are probably going to cruise to another finals and get beat 4-1 to the Warriors. Pretty boring state the NBA is in right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    It’s my party and I’ll cry if I want to.

• Like Like x 2
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yep. I’m coming up all zero on this thread so far!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Just ask my wife how often I'm wrong!! Happens to the best of us. Hell, when Mac was hired I thought "not my first choice, but seems smart." Turns out he was smart.... but only relative to Muschamp.

Anyway, your sixers can still come back, but they gotta grow a pair.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Wow - Reddick/Simmons not on the same page, turn it over with about :05 left for a Boston layup. Unbelievable. Those who referenced coaching were right on. This is a team of Philly athletes, but not very smart. Belinelli saved overtime with a basket at :01.7. Definitely a two. Well . . . keep hope alive.

And if Boston comes out on top, I'm ready to accept the "bonehead thread of the year" award. :emoji_flushed:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Simmons/Embid = uber talented, but no killer instinct. Here we go with 1pt game, Celtics down with the ball and :08 remaining in OT.

15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Big Al gets the inbound with an empty post and drops in a layup. Covington panicked on D (bad coaching) and tried to front Horford at the last second, allowing the drop down pass.
    5.5 seconds left and Philly throws the ball away. Boston just owns these guys.

16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Horford just keeps getting better. The +/- with him on the court vs. Off it is astounding. He owned that overtime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Athletically, the Celtics are very good. Smart, Tatum, Rozier, Horford, Morris and Brown can compete with any half dozen players out there. Plus they plug in a few extra stud defenders when needed.

Horford is the glue for this very young team. I think they can beat Cleveland. This isn't the Cavs from last year. Celtics are better this year, much tougher.

18. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Simmons isn’t rookie of the year. Because 1) he’s not a rookie and 2) both Mitchell and Tatum are better than him now.

Until Simmons develops some type of a shot both of those guys will be better basketball players.

19. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Sixers have 4 key players that are 30 or older. Celtics just 2, Baynes and Horford.

The Celtics have focused on drafting athletes in recent years. Tatum is their only player that seemed complete right away. He's just 20.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Horford calling Stevens a "genius" is pretty rare praise. Might in fact be true. Can't believe the way my beloved Sixers closed out G3 though. Should have had this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1