Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NBA Summer League...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Jul 10, 2017.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Caught a bit of action this weekend. While it is only summer league and you aren't playing against the best, here were some quick impressions:

Tatum - He will be an instant asset for the Celtics. I thought he was the best player in the draft and his play definitely backed that up so far.

Ball - He will be a good player. I see a Rondo type but maybe a little better of a shooter. His dad is still an @$$hole. If you want a good laugh, check out Elena Delle Donne ripping BBB shoes on Twitter.

Fultz - Shame that he got injured as I think missing out on these games will set him back a little. He struggled with his shot and missed a few he should have hit, but you could see his explosiveness. If he has a decent team around him which I expect he will, he should be a good addition.

2. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    Looks like the Heat made the correct pick (and maybe a steal) with Bam. I've been watching the Heat's games and I like what I see.....a lot! They definitely made the correct decision by selecting him over Leaf as he absolutely dominated him in their head to head match up.

Look at the athleticism and activity all over the court. With the Heat picking up Olynyk, having Bam instead of Leaf gives them a more diverse front court rotation where Leaf's ceiling is really to be an Olynyk clone. Bam gives another tough athletic rebounding, shot blocking presence. Plus, he is showing some ball handling skills that I didn't know he had

Personally, I think Bam is going to be a very good player in the NBA for a very long time.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. lfggator

lfggator GC Hall of Fame

Jan 8, 2017
    North Carolina
    I watched about a quarter of the Wizards game. Unfortunately for DRob he played with 2 morons who would never pass the ball. If these 2 guys (Cunningham and some other dude ESPN was hyping as having a shot to make the team) touched the ball in the offensive end, it was their shot and only their shot. Needless to say, they missed about 90% of the shots I watched those 2 bums take. And most of them were terrible shots to take. If I was the coach, I would have benched their sorry butts for not playing as a team.

4. A100

A100 Junior

Oct 8, 2011
    Six oclock game Chris Walker for the Bulls and Drob for the Wizards
    Walker with the first two baskets for Bulls

5. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

I wasn't a big fan of him play or demeanour while at Florida, but I've actually been impressed by Chris Walkers play with the Chicago Bulls summer league team. Playing much more within himself then he did with us, running the floor hard and working tirelessly on the glass. Will be interesting to see if he can land a spot somewhere.

6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I was one who thought Bam was a reach and that Leaf was much more aligned with what the heat needed. But that could prove very wrong.

7. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Saw C Walker in the box score and was curious if that was him. Good for him to make it even to this point based on what we saw.

D Rob didn't shoot well last night. 2-7 (0-3). He is going to have to perform better if he wants to have a chance.

8. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

You could tell he was really struggling with the NBA three point line. Watching his stroke, it was noticeably different then it was in college, and it was a lot more forward explosion as he tried to get more distance on the ball. It didn't work as he was missing pretty wildly, including a wide open air ball. Hopefully he can turn things around.

9. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    Way too early to tell. But the Heat signing Olynyk was very smart as they are getting basically an established Leaf type player (maybe more attitude as well)

One thing that is obvious about Bam is his unbelievable athleticism. He has a Dwight Howard type body frame and at only 19, should continue to get stronger.

10. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I liked the pick at the time (assuming the medicals on OG and Giles didn't pass mustard) because Bam has a very high floor. Too much size/athleticism combined with reportedly high character (very important to Riley). At worst he should be a quality rotational big....which is a win at #14.

Signing Olynyk and re-signing Johnson was a big plus. They can now afford to bring him along slowly and the organization has shown a penchant for player development. Lots to work with in Bam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

That kind of body type and athleticism can't be taught or trained into a guy. Incredible raw talent but can in some ways contribute immediately defensively and on the boards.

I expect him to have a long career. Probably not a superstar but maybe a 15-18 ppg and 8-12 rpg down the road. A nice solid NBA player. Like you said, the "bust potential" is a lot lower with Bam than say Leaf in my opinion.

12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I take DFS not playing for the Mavs as a good sign that his roster spot is secure and don't need to see any more from him?

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Ball was killing it last night. Granted it is only Summer League but you can tell why everyone had him listed so high. His vision on the court is already at a high level and I think the fact that a lot of NBA players are lazy on D will allow him to instantly be a force.

I love how he was wearing the Mambas last night.

14. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 26, 2013
    He's been doing that exact same thing in the D (now called the G league?) league the last few years.

15. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    Ball is the first player in decades (and I believe 1 of 2 ever) to shoot over 70% from 2-pt range, and over 40% from 3pt range. He's a far better scorer than Rondo ever was, IMO.

16. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Prather played well for Cleveland last night.

10 points on 5-11 shooting with 7 rebounds. He started and played 21 minutes. Zero assists which is a little surprising. You would think he would get 1.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Was going to start a thread and then saw this gem.

Wagner and Lonnie Walker off to good starts. Didn't see any of the games. Only box scores.

Trae Young and Grayson Allen both get T'd up for a little tussle. Let me show you my shocked face :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Derrick Jones Jr. has looked phenomenal for the Heat thus far. His shooting has improved drastically and he can jump out of the gym.

19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    66 percent free throw shooter and 16 percent 3 point shooter according to stats against scrubs in a no D league. Won’t play for Heat, if makes roster. Coach Eric already had his 8 player rotation and others rarely get in games

20. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Devin and Cheese both going now for the Wiz.
    If you have the ESPN app, all SL games are being shown.