Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NBA playoffs

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by oragator1, Apr 22, 2024.

1. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I’m calling B.S. if your body is still able to handle playing daily after 40+ years, you ain’t played a lot of basketball. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    This is finally his year. Wonder if he hangs it up if they win

3. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Haha or I’m just a damn machine. Trust me, there are some serious pains, but luckily for me (now, not then) I wore leg braces when I was 2 every night to correct bowleggedness, so I’ve never had knee problems (knock on wood). Yes, I was a little Forest Gump. A team doctor said I had the straightest knees he’d ever seen. Thankfully I don’t remember crying to bed every night since I was only 2 and pre-memory. I can’t imagine parents doing that to their child now, but I’m grateful for their tough-love strategy. That’s not to say I don’t get back and neck pain all the damn time or jammed fingers and a recently sprained wrist. By “daily” usually it’s half court, but I do full-court runs occasionally. I have gone from running and dunking to defensive rebounding and hitting the outlet pass. Let the young stallions do most of the running. I do stretch a hell of a lot more than I used to as well, definitely helps. Pilates too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I think it’s great to have fellow hoopers on this board. Definitely gives a unique perspective, because we see things from a players point of view. There’s some things you can only learn from experiences on the court. Not even being a coach can teach you some of these nuances.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I hope he does so he has that choice. Would love to see him go out on top.

I'm also still playing. Have a standing Tuesday night game. A bunch of late 30s to mid 50s guys that have all played organized ball at HS level or higher. It's an amazing high-quality game with just the right level of aggressivness to minimize inuries. Gentlemens basketball, if you will.

I have a Sunday morning game that runs through the school year (just ended last week). That one's a bit younger, faster, more aggresive - but I prefer it. I play better in that crowd (at 52).

I know my time on the court is growing short - but not only do I love playing - it also motivates me to stay in shape / keep the pounds off so I can extend my playing life as long as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    absolutely. the game moves so quickly when you're playing and you have a completely different perspective, in part because we don't have eyes in the back of our heads - a fan or even coach might say "how did you not see that", but as a player we know there are blind spots, which is why you need to keep your head on a swivel. Yes definitely adds to the board, seems we have a great mix here on NBN

Last edited: May 17, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Gentlemen's basketball is my favorite kind these days. Older guys that know the dreams of making the league are over, keep it competitive but no point in showing up to work with a broken nose on Monday. Yes those younger games are very different, it makes me wonder how I used to have that much nonstop energy....keeps you young just trying to keep up. That's great you still play too

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Agree that Al would like to get off that list, but that's not a bad couple of names to be on a list with.

9. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Didn’t see a Pacers blowout win tonight. Let’s see how they fare against the Celtics

Now onto the next game 7, Nuggets-Wolves is going to be epic

Last edited: May 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I think some of y'all need to fess up and admit that you were wrong about Nembhard. Many, many, many posters said time and again that his game would not translate to the NBA. Today his stat line (starter btw) in a game 7 win to advance to the conference finals:

20pts, 5rbd, 6asst/4to, 8/10 shooting and 1/2 from three

Apparently he hit the game winner in the previous contest. Ok, y'all . . . who's gonna fess up?

• Like Like x 2
  11. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I fess up that I wanted both Nembhard and Glover to transfer so that Mike White wouldn’t completely ruin their college careers. Fortunately, they both did get out of Dodge. That Glover guy is back in the portal.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    yes he had a hell of a game tonight, highly efficient. Seems the combination of he and White was the real culprit, I'm happy for him

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I played a lot of ball growing up but I'm far from a guru. That said, I never understood the criticisms of AN while he was here. I thought he was one of if not our best players.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    White had AN playing as a ball dominant point guard who would back his guy down into the post, chew up the shot clock and try to score or draw a defender and kick out. It resulted in a ridiculously slow pace that was blamed somewhat on AN. At Gonzaga, AN ran the fastest paced offense in college hoops.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I couldn't find the slew of posts criticizing Nembhard for being slow, but found these. And sorry for the hijack, but there's not much traffic on the 'Net board these days, so I thought it an interesting NBA-related topic.
    BTW - upon reading some of the old Nembhard threads, @tampajack1 was indeed very complimentary and challenged anyone who questioned Andrew's NBA prospects. Here goes . . .

In direct response to tampa's post:

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    In other news, the Twolves were down 20 earlier and now up 5 w 5min remaining. Could they pull off the unthinkable? I won't count on it, but it would be pretty exciting for MN fans.

17. 407king

407king VIP Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Denver is done

18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The janitor is gonna have a hard time cleaning up the puddle that is the denver nuggets after this.

19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Wolves up 10 with 2min left. This would be the biggest MN pro sports win in a while. At least since . . .

20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Wow - Twolves did the unthinkable. Folks in MN will be excited for the Dallas series.

• Agree Agree x 1