Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Navy probes footage of military dogs mauling 'target' wearing Kaepernick jersey at SEAL Museum event

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Aug 3, 2020.

1. l_boy

l_boy GC Legend

Jan 6, 2009
    Arguably in poor taste, especially in this environment, but don't think this should be a scandal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Whatever. Just keep inventing whatever you need to justify all actions of protest.

3. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I’ll do that while you keep acting like a guy silently sitting off to the side during the anthem is calling attention to himself

• Like Like x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Isn't that the point? You don't enact change if nobody is paying attention.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. mutz87

mutz87 #nowaytospinit VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Didn't say that.

Only that when it came to passing the CRA, LBJ famously browbeat folks on the hill and that MLK was widely disliked by whites.

6. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    This a blatant and preposterous rewriting of history.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    I can't/won't speak for blacks, but I am not so sure that the anthem brought people together as you seem think. Might be more at *appearance* Too often whites expect blacks to have the same unconflicted love of country but fail to recognize how history has complicated such views for many of blacks (such conflicted views are is exactly what your quote of CK indicates, imo).

Yet then whites are quick to condemn blacks for not sharing in these same views. This has been one of the fundamental problems with whites, they either don't want to or are just naive to history as perceived by minorities in ways that create misguided expectations.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    As a veteran, I love my country. As a black man, I am not a fool and I understand the history of our country. While I serve(d) proudly, I'm not just going to ignore what happened in the Americas. You can love something and yet not be happy with it all the time. People with this overzealous patriotism, who act as though the USA is beyond reproach in all situations, are puzzling to me. I don't think they are like that with their family and friends. I'm sure they see fault in the people they love.

In any case, the flag and anthem means different things to different people. It also means different things to the same people at different times. When I see the U.S. flag being used by racists in a white supremacist rally, the flag in that instance doesn't give me a good feeling. I respect the founding fathers for what they did, but I also don't have the same reverence for them as others may. I know that many were slaveholders, and I can't just ignore it. There are other times when I see the flag and hear the anthem playing and I get choked up. It's a strange dichotomy.

It's bizarre that people want to force blacks to show unquestioned love to all aspects of the USA without question, considering the history and how much still needs to be changed. But... it's our country as much as anyone else's, so we have the right to feel how we want about it.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    So he wasn't kneeling to make a point? He just gets a little tired pregame? Why is it so hard to admit he is kneeling in protest? in his own words:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

10. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    He browbeat Democrats in the south and some others that were afraid that losing the south would relegate them to the minority party for a long time. The point is that attitudes were shifting such that it got into doable territory for LBJ. Basically similar to gay marriage where all the Democrats were against it at the beginning of Obama's term, then they evolved to supporting it once the polls shifted enough. LBJ wanted it done but he wasn't fighting both his party and a majority of the people. I am not saying that outside the south everybody loved the idea but Selma helped open a door for LBJ to do what he did.

Despite mixed views on civil rights in 1965, Americans largely supported Selma marchers

11. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    He was sitting and then kneeling (he switched to kneeling after a friend who was a veteran told him that was more respectful than sitting) during the anthem for several games before a reporter asked him about it and he explained why he was doing it. No one even noticed until then. Obviously there was a motive behind it all along , but its also revisionist history to a suggest it was all about attention for himself and his cause. If that was the case he would have announced it before he started doing it and made it a circus. Seems to me it started out as a personal stance, and it didn't become a 'protest' until he was asked why he was doing it and it became a story. Then it became a "thing" with other players getting involved or doing it.

12. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Notice a consistent theme of “it’s never what it really is”?

13. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    That’s not what you said, and not what I said was a lie.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    The guy's an idiot, a wannabe and a fraud. I never had a huge issue with him kneeling during the national anthem, although I do find it plenty disrespectful. I can get past the fact the NFL players handbook stipulates players are to stand during the anthem. What I can't get past is the fact that, as an NFL quarterback, Colin Kaepernick sucked hard and he subsequently blamed the owners in the league for "blackballing" him out of a QB job. Guy went 1-10 during his final campaign and was a total eyesore on the field. He tried using the backlash against his kneeling as an excuse for his suckitude. No team is going to pay good money for that hot garbage. And the thing is, Kaep knows this, but plays the victim card because he still has an endorsement deal and he's gotta get his millions, y'know? I cannot think of anyone in pro sports in the last 25 years that is a bigger phony than Colin Kaepernick.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Sure. But those numbers were driven by respondents outside the south. King was reviled in the 1960s in the south and among many whites in the north and many of the same types of accusations thrown at him and other civil rights leaders are the same thrown at black protestesr like Kaepernick and BLM now. Look around on this board and there are a few doing just that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. pcamera01

pcamera01 GC Legend

Jul 21, 2020
    Um, I have a Gator engineering grad friend who can tell you a story of his father being taken away and never heard from again for just laughing and saying that he would not come over and listen to a young Fidel speak that he had to go to work. They even went looking for my friend and his family after his father disappeared but thankfully they were able to escape to Miami. So, keep believing what you like Mutz.

17. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    We actually have Castro propagandists amongst us? Wow.

18. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    We do, all the conservatives saying he was a murderous tyrant

19. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Dear god, it's a veritable gaggle of commies around here.

20. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Wait a second though, I've never said I'm a communist, so I'm therefor not a communist. If you allow Dr. King that latitude, please be consistent.