Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Navy probes footage of military dogs mauling 'target' wearing Kaepernick jersey at SEAL Museum event

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Aug 3, 2020.

1. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    It’s because of history. White people would never have accepted a mixed person calling themselves white and having the same privileges as a white person. They were still slaves and property. I don’t think that even today that the typical white person would accept a Barack Obama or Colin Kaepernick calling themselves white, despite coming out of a white woman’s body. Black people, for the most part accept them as black.

These are the rules that white people made up. I’m just used to it. Growing up if you were even slightly mixed, you were black. I’m starting to see some people use the term bi-racial more, but trust me if you get arrested by the police they will put black on your arrest report, as the self-styled “caublanasian” Tiger Woods found out.

So, while it may be an archaic system, it’s not the time to conveniently bring that up to call the protest of this black man, Colin Kaepernick, into question.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    once again, i'm not downplaying this incident. i've posted in this forum in the past about the one drop rule, so i understand the origin of this.

if you read my post, i said the derivation of the way we continue to label people comes from a racist past. i dont understand why we don't give this serious thought. i think these definitions enable bigotry. FYI, i think Kapernicks kneeling was wrong, however the attack dog video at the very least is inappropriate

3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    What is your real point, then? Regardless of Kaepernick’s race, he can still protest what he is protesting. There is no race requirement to advocate for issues affecting a particular race. Even if he was a white man, what difference does it make.

I’m failing to see the relevance.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I will do this on the idea you are trying to understand my original post in response to Mutz, so it has to be read in that context. I'm of the opinion our country is no longer 2 dimensional black and white, but rather multi-racial multi ethnic. To your point what difference does it make if kapernick is white, brown, black, or some other color. what should matter is what he did and his reasons for doing it.

5. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    I still don’t get why you brought it up, though. We already know what matters is what he did, not what he is. You wondering aloud why Kaepernick is considered black is off-topic, but I engaged anyway since you asked the question. I get the relevance even less after your last response.

This country was never just black and white... considering the Native Americans were here first.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    The King protests were tied in with the issue though. They can't sit in the front of the bus, at a lunch counter or march down the street without facing abuse from Jim Crow. Kaepernick's approach was to tell everyone eff America, now you should care about my issues. Personally I don't think doing shocking stuff to gain attention works because attention doesn't shift to the issues. The only ones that know what he was complaining about were the ones already in agreement with him and looked it up. It certaining wasn't in the publicity in any detail. That was about how his shirt sales were doing and whether SF would cut him.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  7. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't bring up Kapernicks race, i responded to a post about his race and how people responded to Kapernick. So since you jumped in on my response to a post, if you think it's off topic take it up with the person who originally brought it up, or with a moderator, unless you are a moderator.

8. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Agreed. Kaepernick is an idiot and a loser. What does his race have anything to do with it? See, you and I agree on a lot if we just talk it out.

9. mutz87

mutz87 #nowaytospinit VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    LBJ did much of that convincing in passing the CRA. Whites had extremely high dispproval of MLK during his life precisely because of widespread racism. We still see that same type of disapproval in blacks protesting. Or to my earlier point about denying that racism even exists any longer. I've seen several folks on here state as much in just the last few days.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    So King and the images of his followers on TV getting dogs sicced on them and hosed down had nothing to do with it then?

12. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Do you think the people today had a problem with Kaepernick being black or because he was disrespecting the anthem. Hint, his jersey sales tanked after the latter.

13. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Colin Kaepernick Tops Jersey Sales In NFL

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I never look at the color of someone's skin or the kink of their hair to determine whether they are less-than ideal. But if their nostrils are on the larger size, you just KNOW there is something wrong with them.

BTW, Colin is a useful idiot, and not just for athletic gear sales.

15. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I think people had a problem with him bringing attention to an issue affecting black people, so they made up some bs about him disrespecting the anthem and latched onto that. Just like people had a problem with MLK bringing attention to issues affecting black people, so they put a bullet in his head.

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    That's nuts. So if he would have talked about the issues during press conferences or decided to sit out a series in protest, you think the firestorm would have been the same because it's all racist?

17. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Kapernick was calling attention to this issue of social justice but at the same time he was showing much dis-respect. He said so himself "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color"
    There are many things that divide us in this country. IMO, the anthem at sporting events almost always brought us together. I suspect that the athletes kneeling today are doing so for social justice and not because they wont stand for the flag, but i'm not certain of that

18. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    I think anything MLK did back then would've been met with resistance...press conference, sitting out a series, peacefully marching etc. Wouldn't have mattered. When people don't like or agree with what you're protesting for, they'll nitpick to find anything to grasp on to discredit you. Sort of like how people took Kaepernick's protest about police treating people of color unfairly, and then twisted it into being about the anthem and military.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    That's crap. If Kaepernick lead a group of people on a March through downtown SF, nobody would have cared (maybe a few). It wouldn't have made national headlines. The fact he chose to kneel during the anthem to draw attention to himself is what made everyone blow up. After that a lot of them didn't care what he was protesting because they were pissed off about that act. MLK was met with resistance in the south because he was challenging their ridiculous laws, but the protest was aimed to directly show the rest of the country the crap they were going through. It wasn't a distraction to call attention to himself, it was saying look at us and how we are being treated. That was shown live on TV as they got hosed and beaten and the national sentiment started to change in their favor after seeing that brutality. They gained sympathizers. Committing a divisive act to call attention to yourself does that, but in the process you piss off the people that don't like that act and they refuse to listen further. MLK was adamant about preventing violence in the movement because he knew that reprisals, while probably justified, would lose him sympathy and that was the whole point.

• Like Like x 1
  20. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    I call complete bs on Kaepernick “calling attention to himself.” He quietly sat for the anthem, then started silently kneeling after discussing it with a military member. In what world is being silent during the anthem “calling attention to yourself?” Fun fact: Marshawn Lynch also sat quietly for the anthem every game of his NFL career for 11 years. Nobody even noticed until his last season and when asked about he simply shrugged. Was he “calling attention to himself” too? As I said, when people don’t want to discuss the point of protests, they nitpick and find other irrelevant details to focus on.

• Winner Winner x 1