Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nations Leading Rusher Visiting UF

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bvgator789, Oct 30, 2019.

1. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Idk if you know but he did grow up a huge gator fan. I played against him a couple times at Yulee and one of my buddies happened to play there so he kinda would give me the scoop on him every once in a while. He told me during his recruitment that while he wanted to play at UF they already had Kelvin committed and he was a top RB too. He also mentioned Muschamp did not want him at RB since they already had Taylor going to play RB. Remember Henry was listed as an athlete so some teams were recruiting him at different positions. But Henry was set on playing RB in college.

2. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Muschamp absolutely wanted Henry--the nation's all time leader in rushing yardage--on defense. Lots of articles at the time referenced this and Henry's insistence that he was a ball carrier. Though many softened Muschamp's stance that he was publicly open to different possibilities, the ones that quote Henry on the subject are pretty clear that he was being told he was too big for RB and the real money for him in the pros would be at DE.

Yulee also wasn't a big school either and Henry's team even played Glades Day with Kelvin Taylor one year. It really is possible to be dominant at a small school because you are great player, and not just better than poor competition.

3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Muschamp also passed on QB Lamar Jackson. Enough said.

4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    He’s obviously a talented rb and chose right but aren’t you at least interested to see what Henry could have done as an olb/de?

5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Jackson had academic issues. A lot of teams backed off of him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Yulee isn’t a big school but they were playing in a good district

7. tec68

tec68 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 12, 2010
    Vero Beach
    You classify the following player as a bust?

2013: Freshman All SEC player.

2014: Rushed for 197 yards against uga in a single game which is the 8th most rushing yards in any game by a Gator.

2015: Only the 9th player in UF history to rush for 1000 yards in a single season.

2015: 13 rushing TDs that same year were the 3rd most by a RB in UF history.

The only way to consider a player a bust would be to examine the others in the same class. I’ve done the legwork for you, feel free to check my results for yourself.

Let’s take a look at the RBs ranked near him on the 247 Composite. He was ranked #2 and clearly outperformed #1, #3, #4, #6, #7, #8, #9 and #10. I shouldn’t need to research any others as I’m sure this proves my point.

#5 had an exceptional career and rushed for 1000 yards 3 times. #5 was the ONLY RB in the top 10 at that position that clearly outperformed Kelvin.

So in conclusion, Kelvin outperformed 8 of the 9 RBs that joined him in the top 10.

Not so much a bust.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. BubbaBJ

BubbaBJ Premium Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I clearly remember the talk at the time that we only wanted him at LB. I watched the game when Henry and KT played each other and it was obvious Henry was better.

9. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I think Zach A has said that the "Muschamp wanted Henry on defense" thing never happened, but I can't find anything on Google right now.

10. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Have you ever thought that maybe those RBs were considered busts as well. I just looked at the top ten RBs from that class and read each of their rushing stats. Very low rushing numbers from so called top 10 RB. Which a couple of them even went juco. The only one who stood out to me was Alex Collins from Arkansas and we know he was very good there. Other than him everyone else had just decent or below average rushing stats. So I get that yes he outperformed most of those guys but those other guys were below average for their ranking.

11. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Agreed I even played him while I was at Trinity Christian Jax. Yulee played some quality teams.

12. tec68

tec68 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 12, 2010
    Vero Beach
    As I said, the only way to classify someone as a bust would be to look at those ranked near him at the same position.

Not to mention Kelvin’s top 10 status at UF for yards and TDs in a single season. Not a bust.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    The dude didn’t have a 1,000 yard season until his last year at UF. Other than that the previous 2 years he had 508 and 565 yards rushing. He was a 5 star who didn’t have numbers like a 5 star RB. That’s a bust for his ranking. As hyped up as he was coming out of high school yes he was a bust along with that 5 star ranking. In my eyes a true 5 star RB should have numbers higher than that. The only 5 star RB from that class that was a true 5 star was Derrick Henry. He proved his ranking unlike Kelvin. Now was Kevin a bad RB no but comparing his ranking to his numbers yes I would say bust.

14. G8tas

G8tas Senior

Sep 22, 2008
    I came to the thread to read about the nation's leading rusher and you guys are talking about Derrick Henry?

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Stars are not concrete info. Nfl draft proves it every year. The ability to recruit top players is only equal to picking the right ones. Talent evaluation is a true skill no matter how many stars a kid has.

16. tec68

tec68 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 12, 2010
    Vero Beach
    Derrick Henry was classified as an ATH not a RB.

No other 5 star RB from that class had a better career, not many 4 stars had a better career. There were four RBs that season with 5 stars by their name. Kelvin set the bar for production.

I’m giving you facts, your giving me an opinion. He wasn’t a bust when comparing him with the other RBs in the same class. He was one of the most productive to come out of high school that season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    Yep. Most of the time if the thread has more than 5 posts it has been hijacked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. obgator

obgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, would you rather hear about everyone’s kids and their hobbies and recipes for their favorite desserts. It’s happened, you know!

19. zman-1

zman-1 Junior

Mar 5, 2017
    West of the equator
    My first car was a '73 Vega wagon. Sometimes life isn't fair.

• Funny Funny x 1