Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

National Championship 2022 Game Thread: (3) TCU vs. (1) Georgia, Monday, 1-9-23 at 7:30pm on ESPN

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Jan 4, 2023.

1. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I’d argue we beat them soundly that year because their D was a weak link. They never could stop the wheel route. Been a few years but I don’t think that loss was really on SB.

2. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    From what I understand at least one recruit 24’ was on the UgA sideline last night..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    If we had a Defense this year they weren’t that far out of our league

4. steve

steve Freshman

May 23, 2007
    Not to defend Georgia, but they were originally scheduled to play @ Oklahoma Sept 9th...the SEC forced the schedule change.

5. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Thanks. After the 41 year drought these past 2 seasons have been an amazing experience. Trying my best to soak it all in because I know we are living through the good old days right now.

He was in the mix for the Purdue job this cycle. Was supposedly in on a few last season as well. Decided to stay each time. I’m sure more than a few teams were not wanting to wait until after the playoff to fill their spot.

Was Dylan Raiola

Lot of our fans are still pissed about that.

6. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Was Dylan Raiola

Actually there was another I’ll try to get the name from my sons he’s friends with the kid (from rockledge HS)

7. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Senior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    I’ll never congratulate Georgia for anything, it’s just not in me. The words refuse to leave my mouth.
    What I will do is admit that was about as impressive of performance as I’ve seen. (and I’m aware it was TCU)
    I also was wrong about Kirby Smart as far as coaching was concerned.
    That not only was a supremely talented group of players, they were also extremely well coached. Obviously talent and coaching go hand in hand, but that was a terrific job by the Georgia coaching staff.
    The fact that he was somehow able to convince them that any sane person thought they would go 7-5 also says a lot about his powers of persuasion… although I’m not quite sure what it says about those that believed it.
    I’m personally not a huge fan of the pre game cursing… the passion was there, but it wasn’t even that imaginative or diverse, however it worked for him. Time and circumstance I suppose.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Expanding the playoffs will certainly help the situation. I used to be against that, but, I now see it as a good thing in the current environment.

9. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Not a bad approach. But, any game under scenario 2) will yield a game that is no more valid than a spring training MLB baseball game or a preseason NFL football game. No one cares who wins those games. They're exhibition scrimmages. No more, no less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    IMHO uga wasn't at all concerned about uf, heck they were like 13 points or so favorite, they saw what most fans saw 'a bad team'. I suspect they were preparing ahead for a better team as in UT. They didn't need much motivation to beat us even though we were a hated rival. It's sad that we seem like Vandy to them.

11. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    IIRC, they actually said they were. Don’t remember if it was Kirby or one of the players, think it was a player, but they said outright they’d been preparing for UT for several weeks.

12. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Which is so sad! Shows just how far we have fallen.

13. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    Oh it was pretty clear they treated us like mid-90's FSU playing Wake Forest. They were not sharp and only turned it on when they needed to. They were razor sharp against us in 2021.

14. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I never thought TCU belonged, SEC bias for sure, but once they lost in the little 12 title game, I thought there time was over.
    I do think ohio state deserved to be there, and at full strength that team is very good.

Georgia is so good in a every facet of the game. from personal to play calling, from D-line to offensive line. They showed what they can do with an average high IQ qb, scary if they had a 5 star can't miss product etc.

put AR on that team, and they don't win (controversial comment for sure) - probably lose 2 games.

having TCU in the game really ruined the entire season. (easy to say after the fact, but clearly they were not prepared nor ready for that level of talent they were facing). Even at 10-7, you knew the dawgs were gonna score on the next possession.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    If you look at the actual results, we averaged just over 30 points per game. Other than the playoff game against Ohio State, the most points the Georgia defense allowed was 30 against LSU. And if you remember we scored 35 against LSU.

So pair AR with that defense and I don't see any problem except maybe Ohio State.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    Yeah, that was my point.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1