Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nate Pickering

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jun 21, 2018.

1. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Go get him coach

2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The brand after Spurrier and Meyer were highly regarded. National Championships, SEC championships, Bowl victories, and high scoring offenses. Zook recruited well in between Spurrier and Meyer with top rated QBs like Leak, but brand is really diminished after Champ and Mac offenses outside the top 100 nationally and scoring few points. We also have not had a hit at QB since Tebow that has been able to stay eligible and injury free. Bad luck, bad protection, bad recruiting, bad coaching? Yes! Think Mullen had longer rebuild due to time since Meyer. I see us more like Oklahoma that was down for many years until Stoops came along. Think we will be okay in a few years, but there are a few lazy recruiters on the Mullen staff that are not selling program and messaging kids every day like their competitors are doing. Better learn to kiss a$$ with these millennial and Gen Zers quickly, if want 4 and 5 star kids. This is not MSU

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. themistocles

themistocles GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Zook was looking at Status regarding recruiting. He put a lot of eggs into a few highly ranked baskets then filled his classes with a bunch of kids who never saw the field. That's why Meyer's first 3 teams had almost no depth, that, and the fact that Meyer didn't understand what it took to play in the SEC. Of his first class, only 5 kids made the 2 deep.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    pretty impressive to win the national championship that way.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Yeah, he just wins.

6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I thought zook recruited quite well considering his recruits won in 06 under meyer

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Zook was all in. Just a plethora of poor decisions and hires.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Sure. But he also left us so in need at certain positions that we would have been screwed without a grad transfer cb in Ryan smith from Utah and converting players to linebacker and cb from offense. In hindsight we were amazingly lucky not to suffer injuries in 2006 as we literally couldn't lose a single player from those positions and still succeed

9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The chips always have to fall your way a bit

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. GatorInTX2014

GatorInTX2014 GC Legend

Feb 5, 2014
    Temple, TX
    At this point I’m not sure they’re even good. We’re gettig killed left and right. This staff needs to be overhauled. We need better recruiters. Unfortunately, I see the transition year as the outlier, not the standard. When we’re looking at finishing (hopefully) in the 20th spot, that is unacceptable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  11. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Will you feel differently when we sign the best DB class in the nation? Possibly the top RB. 2 more highly rated WRs...it's still early. That's 6-7 highly rated 4 and 5*s. You know that bro.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And what happens on the field will go along way this year. I like our dbs and rbs he signed last year. We signed a decent class this year. We get this class, the credit card guys and some really good transfers on this years roster. Mullen has more to work with than he’s had in a long time. Online and qb have to be average but if that happens I can see us being very much improved. May end up with a couple nice flips in the end.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not to argue but we are a long way from signing the best DB class since we have zero committed. That would be great if it happened. I would ask where the DL are or if they are coming since we only signed 3 in 2017 and 1 last year. From my POV we should at least have quite a few hybrid Bama-type tall and heavy DL/LB lining up to showcase their versatility and future ability to the NFL. But what do I know? I hope we have two more highly rated WRs by the end because at the moment and according to the recruiting services we have two lower ability WRs committed. I don't know about our LB board but what we have so far is not what we are capable of.

My feeling is that the staff does not feel good about our prospects in our state or surrounding states but who knows. They have been recruiting the Southeast for a long time and should be a force in the state of Florida. If not then why would fsu's staff be doing well suddenly? Did they fly in from Michigan and Washington State and just get lucky?

I believe we as fans will regret that they let a QB from California go last cycle. Of course I do not know what happened behind the scenes but I cannot imagine- from the film I watched- that they truly believe that prospect did not fit Dan Mullen's system. NO WAY.

We all know that McElwain was inexplicably and negligently loyal to some of his assistants and I wish it looked like Mullen had more reach and foresight in his staff development. Of course, I am saying that before we played a single game and it is true I cannot see the future. But I do know that as a LB coach we hired what might be the youngest and most inexperienced position coach in Division I. Is Mullen a genius? I hope so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I understand my friend. Our DB haul will be great. Our DL board is questionable but we will get our share of talent.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Agree w/ Die, our DB class right now is a low 3-star who will likely end up playing LB or TE. Go look at Jimbo's DB class so far (this is the title from SDS after A&M got another 4-star DB yesterday: Texas A&M locking down nation's best DB class as 4-star CB Erick Young commits to Aggies). I know this is gatorcountry, so we're supposed to sugar-coat everything w/ O&B glasses....but while we were sleeping, other schools got a few more commits and we're now ranked 31st in the recent rankings (w/ nearly half our class committed already).

As far as our DL class goes, we have a shot at a couple more 4-star DL's - but if we miss on them the class will be very underwhelming. Luckily, we got a solid 4-star committed already (hopefully he sticks).

I'm not worried about WR, as this offense doesn't necessarily need a flashy WR class.

I'm holding out hope for Sanders, but you know Bama is putting the full court press on him. I hope one of the Plan B's works out if we miss on him though.

We need 2 more OL's, and hopefully one is a 4-star.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Briang8r

Briang8r GC Legend

Dec 5, 2011
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I'm most concerned about trading Seider for Knox. Seider had a lot to do with that transition class IMO. Seemed like he was everywhere with Mullen on those recruiting trips.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Sounds oddly familiar. Going way out on a limb for that one Note. HA

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’ll be deja vu all over again

• Like Like x 1
  19. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks matherly. I knew I could count on you my brother.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Hall of Fame

Apr 29, 2007
    Nate Pickering is taking an unofficial visit to UF on July 27th

• Informative Informative x 2