Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nashville Tornadoes!

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bullish, Mar 3, 2020.

1. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    A rough night up here last night. Tornadoes came through downtown Nashville. From what I am seeing as the sun comes up the farmers market area, East Nashville 5 points area, Mt Juliet, massive damage. Luckily the Broadway area I believe was spared where the Bridgestone Arena and all the honky tonks are. So the tournament will still go on. Might cause some disruptions on hotels as so many houses and apartment/condos are damaged or destroyed. Seven confirmed deaths as the responders are uncovering. Six semi’s overturned on I-40 on the east side of Nashville coming into downtown. I live near Hendersonville and we just missed the tornado, but a rocky night. I will update as news comes out.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Sad reports indeed. Praying for all of those affected and the families of those who died. Unreal.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Hope everyone is ok and glad you're ok billish. I've heard there were a couple deaths. The storm woke me up with some extremely loud lightning. Luckily (and unfortunately for others) it missed us just south. We had tornado warnings all night though.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    This happened at the start of another SECT in Nashville a few years ago. Time of year is the one that is prone to tornadoes, I guess.

5. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Up to twenty one dead, lots of cars and trucks downtown were moved, slammed into buildings or turned over. Lots of new and old apartments/condos lost roofs and windows, some collapsed. Many homes leveled, At Least two schools destroyed, others heavy damage. A lot of business buildings heavy damaged or destroyed. 49,000 without power in Nashville. Have no idea where all these displaced people will be housed. This reminds me of the Florida panhandle damage from the last hurricane that cleared a path all the way to Georgia. More compact storm but hit a large Metropolitan area. Hit Nashville around 12:30 at night. Thankfully that it didn’t hit during school/work hours.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Wow! I didn't know it was that bad. I saw some pictures of the area near Burger Up. Didn't know the path went on for so long.

7. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I have two nephews and their families up in Nashville. Far as I know they're okay. Sad occurrence

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Wow worse than expected, sorry to hear bullish.
    lived in Nashville (Stones River) for several years, I like the area.

Hate it for the community.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    My uncle's recording studio is in the Five Points area, but was thankfully spared. The photos look awful - prayers to everyone affected.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    The Basement East was a bar and music venue on the east side destroyed. Five points in east Nashville nice restaurants, music venues and quirky shops heaviest hit, gone. A lot of young professionals have redone/rebuilt homes on the east side, they don’t want anyone going in the neighborhood yet, so all the damage is not known yet. First spring warm day, 65 and sunny. The cleanup and rebuild is beginning. One young man was talking to a tv reporter and said he was on the top floor of an apartment building, heard the sirens for tornadoes, hid in a closet. They ask him if he heard a freight train sound, he said no, but his ears popped a few times and the roof came off his apartment. Lost his phone and they wouldn’t let him back in the structure to find his work ID badge, valuables because the building was compromised. Didn’t know what was going to happen. I am sure there will be more stories coming out. Usually the storms come from the southwest to NE, this storm came from the west and went due east. Spared the suburbs north and south of Nashville. I have been living up here almost three years. The Bridgestone arena has opened the doors to help anyone displaced. Think Hurricane Katrina.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Happened in Atlanta one year as well. During the game.

12. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Got family that moved there recently, about a mile and a half south of the path. No damage to their house. Lots of coworkers impacted, however. Sad news, truly.

13. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah. Didn’t the lights go out in the arena and they had to move the games to a tiny arena in Gwinnett? Think that’s the year Georgia came out of nowhere and stole a bid. Memory could be completely wrong though.

Prayers for those affected!!

14. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I was there.
    Crazy scene.

But thankfully no causalities, as I recall. This Nashville event is just devastating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    you have it correct. Don’t think the lights went out, but game was called, as roof and scaffolding was swaying. I believe the building was compromised and there was water/wind damage to the interior.
    Tourney was moved to a very small gym. No fans allowed. Sec refunded cost of tickets.

16. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    That's probably the one I was thinking of. Thanks.

17. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    In Nashville last night, people were trying to save their furniture, clothes in apartments that were affected and moving wherever they can to get short term or long term housing. No power or lights around, just using flashlights and pickup trucks.
    Truly an event that will be remembered by those effected. With so many businesses destroyed, a lot of people have lost their jobs to add to their problems. So far there has been a third of a million donated and five thousand volunteers have signed to help. It’s going to take some time!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  18. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    Brent;

Played the remaining games at Georgia Tech. Weird watching the Bulldogs win three straight games in their arch rivals gym (two in one day). IMS, our game going into overtime against Alabama saved allot of lives that evening. If our game had ended in regulation, there would have been a ton or Gator and Crimson Tide fans hitting the streets when the tornado touched down.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My folks would have been among the ones walking back to their hotel.

20. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    Todd;

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that is scary. Certainly brings this type of thing "closer to home".

• Agree Agree x 2