Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Name that Pubster Contest

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by lacuna, Feb 23, 2020.

1. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    As Growl has his movie star contest, I'm going to start one for with the focus on the readers and contributors of this forum.

Over the years the denizens frequenting GC's Pub have shared things about themselves and their lives. This is a contest to determine who remembers the most about things that have been posted on Pub threads. Every few days a series of questions about various Pubsters, or information that at some point of time was posted on the forum will be asked. The correct answers for each question will be derived from information the Pubster has revealed of self, other information that was posted on this forum at one time or another, or general information any self respecting Gator should know.

PM me your answers. Do not post them on this thread.They will be compiled and the correct responses totaled. If necessary there will be a tie breaker question. At the end of the contest the winner will be announced with all the correct answers, and a prize o will be awarded to the winner.

I've compiled a list of questions and randomly broken them into segments of a lesser number. Each group of questions will be posted every few days rather than all at once. This will give me a chance to perhaps add additional questions and give contestants a chance to scour existing threads to possibly find answers to some of the questions. At the end of the contest a prize of a bookmark decorated with a Gator tooth will be awarded to the winner. There will be a tie breaker question(s) if necessary to determine the winner.

To avoid giving your answers away and compromising your own ranking in the contest, please PM your answers to me. When adding answers to subsequent segments please use the same 'conversation' as it will aid me in keeping an accurate tally.

First group of questions:

1. Which Mod posts delightful videos of his musically talented grandchildren?
    2. Which Mod is the mushroom farmer?
    3. What is the username of the person who owns GatorCountry?
    4. Who formerly owned 2 Firehouse Sub restaurants?
    5. Who once worked a a trumpet playing toy soldier at Disney and is now a music teacher?
    6. Who is an intrepid gardener in Marion County with an enviable collection of staghorn ferns?
    7. What was GatorNana's first name?
    8. Which Pubster is a personal trainer? Think exercise
    9. Which Pubster was a real estate appraiser?
    10. Which Gator Pubster has posted a number of gorgeous collections of beautiful photos he took when vacationing with his family? He's Gr8t

2. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Good morning, Pubsters.
    We need more submissions to make this a true contest. It is unlikely everyone will know all the answers to all the questions. I changed the wording in some of the ones in the 10 listed above to drop little hints. Almost giving one away. I can almost guarantee you will know a good number so someone will win this thing. Give it a shot; it could be you.

Here are a few more:

11. Who has played in the Gator marching band? Two possible correct answers
    12. Which 2 Pubsters play in their own rock 'n roll bands?
    13. Which Pubster's Gator grad daughter started an innovative program to teach art to children?
    14. Who played football from peewee to semi-pro?
    15. Who posted about his ayahausca experience?
    16. Who taught middle school for 11 years and now teaches virtual school?
    17. Who has been the long time starter of Game threads and holiday threads?
    18. Who was a professional water skier at Cypress Gardens?
    19. Who worked on Liberty Square Riverboats, the Mike Fink Keel Boats, and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea
    20. Which 2 GC members discovered they are distant cousins through their posts on Too Hot and The Pub?

And one more ~ would you prefer to have all the questions released at the same time as opposed to doled out over several days? Feed back, please.

3. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    This is a great idea. I have to think about these answers - as I am a visual person I can immediately recognize their avatar - now I just have to remember their username.

I think rolling out a new list every so often is a great idea. It gives people some time to think about the old list and something to look forward to when you publish the new list

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    My apology for the need to correct an error on my part for question #19. the correction has been made, same person but different jobs at DW

5. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Another set to challenge you.

21. What GC Mod lives in N.C.?

22. Who once drove an 18 wheeler for a time?

23. Which Mod once lived in Oakland CA now lives in St Pete?

24. Who once worked as a professional chef ?(2 possible answers, either or both will suffice)

25. Near what big city does StrangeGator live?

26. In what state does docspor reside?

27. What iconic fraternity once sat at the corner S.E. corner of West University Ave and 13th street?

28. What was the name of the bar where Tom Petty was house band for a time?

29. What was the name of Petty's band at the time?

30. Which Mod drives for Uber?

6. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Only a few remaining questions to end this contest. Deadline for entries will be 11:59 PM Eastern time, Saturday, March 14. Answers already submitted can be changed up to that deadline. In the event of a tie there will be [a] tiebreaker question(s). Don't be hesitant to submit your answers. Answers to some of the questions may elude you, but other answers are found in threads listed on page one of the Pub. At this time no one playing has gotten all the answers correct. Not even close. Everyone has a fair chance to win this thing

5 more:

31. Who once dressed in drag for a youth group event at a mall where he was subsequently kicked out?

32. Which Mod played professional Jai ALai for a few years in the 80's?

33. Who knew Tom Petty when he was a kid?

34. Who 'borrowed' his username from Seinfeld's George Costanza?

35. Which 2 Pubsters regularly provide us with historical facts and tales of past historical events?

7. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Going to go with an even 40. This will be the last 5. Good luck, y'all!

36. Who is a retired biologist who specialized in bears and has a picture of a bear fetish as an avatar?

37. Who has an avatar of a man driving an Alfa Romeo?

38. Who has Walter Matthau for his avatar picture?

39. Who once owned a Bronco II that had a special paint job that changed from blue to orange when the sun hit it just right?

40. Who has an avatar picture of a pair of bare feet in a yellow kayak?

8. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    what are the answers? Enquiring minds want to know

9. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Apparently you missed the deadline in post#6, so just over a week to submit your answers. None of the submissions have come close to getting every one correct.

Take a shot at it Pubsters. You could win this thing.

10. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Should I post a reference to this contest on the "Where are the posters 2020" thread in SG,??
    Seems to be some pretty knowledgable posters there.

11. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Just under a week to get your entries in, or revise your entries if desired. No kidding - no one has a lock on this thing. Everyone has a chance. You will even find answers to some of the questions in threads on the first page of the Pub.

12. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    3 days to contest end. I'm looking for your entry...

13. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Still time - 2 more days - to submit your entry. If you are not sure - make a guess. Nothing to lose. Saturday night, midnight deadline.

14. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Two hours remaining to submit your entry. No one has gotten them all, not even close. Give it the old college try, Pubsters. Someone is going to win this thing and it could be you.

15. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Congratulations to our contest winner ~ gatordavisl !!!

A hearty thank you to all who submitted an entry and to davisl who had the most correct answers.

A list of questions with the correct answers will soon follow.

• Like Like x 1
  16. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Preview
    1. Which Mod posts delightful videos of his musically talented grandchildren?
    Gator Growl

2. Which Mod is the mushroom farmer?
    OklahomaGator

3. What is the username of the person who owns GatorCountry?
    Solari

4. Who formerly owned 2 Firehouse Sub restaurants?
    g8orbill

5. Who once worked as a trumpet playing toy soldier at Disney and is now a music teacher?
    gatordavisl

6. Who is an intrepid gardener in Marion County with an enviable collection of staghorn ferns?
    jjhgator

7. What was GatorNana's first name?
    Holly

8. Which Pubster is a personal trainer? Think exercise
    96gatorcise

9. Which Pubster was a real estate appraiser?
    gatorknights

10. Which Gator Pubster has posted a number of gorgeous collections of beautiful photos he took when vacationing with his family? He's Gr8t
    G8trGr8t

11. Who has played in the Gator marching band? Three possible correct answers
    RayGator, gatordavisl, and also baritubabone

12. Which 2 Pubsters play in their own rock 'n roll bands?
    Kurt Borglum and docspor

13. Which Pubster's Gator grad daughter started an innovative program to teach art to children?
    deathroll

14. Who played football from peewee to semi-pro?
    Swamplizard

15. Who posted about his ayahausca experience?
    lwg8tr

16. Who taught middle school for 11 years and now teaches virtual school?
    defensewinschampionships

17. Who has been the long time starter of Game threads and holiday threads?
    RayGator

18. Who was a professional water skier at Cypress Gardens?
    gatorknights

19. Who worked on Liberty Square Riverboats, the Mike Fink Keel Boats, and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea
    g8orbill

20. Which 2 GC members discovered they are distant cousins through their posts on Too Hot and The Pub?
    gator515151 and lacuna

21. What GC Mod lives in N.C.?
    Tilly

22. Who once drove an 18 wheeler for a time?
    Trucker and /or lacuna

23. Which Mod once lived in Oakland CA now lives in St Pete?
    Oaktown

24. Who once worked as a professional chef ?(2 possible answers, either or both will suffice)
    anstro and Whattagator

25. Near what big city does StrangeGator live?
    Chicago

26. In what state does docspor reside?
    Colorado

27. What iconic fraternity once sat at the S.E. corner of West University Ave and 13th street?
    SAE

28. What was the name of the bar where Tom Petty was house band for a time?
    Dub's

29. What was the name of Petty's band at the time?
    Mudcrutch

30. Which Mod drives for Uber?
    Scrappy

31. Who once dressed in drag for a youth group event at a mall where he was subsequently kicked out?
    g8trdave

32. Which Mod played professional Jai ALai for a few years in the 80's?
    Whattagator

33. Who knew Tom Petty when he was a kid?
    lacuna

34. Who 'borrowed' his username from Seinfeld's George Costanza?
    ArtVandelay

35. Which 2 Pubsters regularly provide us with historical facts and tales of past historical events?
    g8orbill and jjh

36. Who is a retired biologist who specialized in bears and has a picture of a bear fetish as an avatar?
    ursidman

37. Who has an avatar of a man driving an Alfa Romeo?
    AlfaGator

38. Who has Walter Matthau for his avatar picture?
    tegator

39. Who once owned a Bronco II that had a special paint job that changed from blue to orange when the sun hit it just right?
    sandmangator

40. Who has an avatar picture of a pair of bare feet in a yellow kayak?
    danmann65

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    @gatordavisl ~ Congratulations again! Along with the Gator tooth bookmark prize you are being comped a VIP membership through the remainder of 2020.

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Wow - thanks lacuna! Be safe and be well, my friend. :)

• Like Like x 1