Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Myth of the kindly General Lee

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Jul 21, 2019.

1. studegator

studegator Senior

Feb 24, 2008
    The Myth of the Kindly General Lee - The Atlantic - Pocket

My ancestors fought for the confederacy and was in the battle right before Appomattox surrender.
    Lee was not the saint he is now made out to be.

The legend of the Confederate leader’s heroism and decency is based in the fiction of a person who never existed
    There are unwitting victims of this campaign—those who lack the knowledge to separate history from sentiment. Then there are those whose reverence for Lee relies on replacing the actual Lee with a mythical figure who never truly existed.

Lee’s heavy hand on the Arlington plantation, Pryor writes, nearly led to a slave revolt, in part because the enslaved had been expected to be freed upon their previous master’s death, and Lee had engaged in a dubious legal interpretation of his will in order to keep them as his property, one that lasted until a Virginia court forced him to free them.

When two of his slaves escaped and were recaptured, Lee either beat them himself or ordered the overseer to "lay it on well." Wesley Norris, one of the slaves who was whipped, recalled that “not satisfied with simply lacerating our naked flesh, Gen. Lee then ordered the overseer to thoroughly wash our backs with brine, which was done.”

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    why does something that happened 150+ years ago matter

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    It matters if people on here care about defending Lee. I can think of a few posters who may pop up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Imagine for a minute the hero this man would have been if he had accepted Lincoln’s offer for Generalship of the Army of the Potomac.
    His warts would have been glossed over by History, as Sherman and Grants have been

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    So you think that most people have a much more positive image of Sherman than of Lee? Is that what you're saying?

6. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    All I’m saying is that nobody dredges up Sherman’s problems like they do Lees.
    Yes Lee has attained a deity like image, especially in the south, and that is undeserved, I’m just saying if he had fought for the north, these stories would be fewer and further between. Oh, and there would be no Arlington National Cemetery

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Ha, they already did. If what happened 150 years isn’t important, then why cling to those monuments?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007

Well, doesn’t help when he is leading a military effort, attempted separation and war to uphold enslaving humans in the south.

9. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007

So I guess I'm still confused by your point. I'm not running into a lot of stories critical of Lee. This may be the first.
    Meanwhile you admit that Lee has something of deity status. And Sherman, it seems to me, is generally thought of pretty negatively.
    So I'm having trouble figuring out how you figure Lee gets so much grief while Sherman gets a pass.

10. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    Nobody is clamoring to tear down a statue of Sherman in NYC.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The issue is that nobody built a lost cause narrative around Sherman. Nobody talks about what a great person he was and that is why he deserves statues. He deserves statues for his role in preserving the union and doing so while ending slavery. It is entirely unnecessary to build any other narrative around him to justify reverence. When you build a personal myth to justify reverence of not only the losing side but the morally wrong side of that war, then his personal life goes under the microscope. And it comes out lacking. But we all know that Lee statues werent built bc of personal qualities. They were built to advance the overall lost cause narrative and maintain white supremacy/the Sourhern social order of the late 19th and early 20th century.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Probably because he fought for the United States of America. But that doesn’t have anything to do with what I said

13. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lee’s “brilliance” as a great military tactician is likewise grossly overstated. True he won many battles in the first few years of the War, but he had no business winning those battles. He won because of the heroic actions of his generals (Stonewall Jackson, in particular) and their unbridled will to win against all odds. Once Jackson died, Lee was lost. And he was exposed on every front of the War, on the battlefields in basically every theater, and equally significant, in the logistics of war.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Who said Lee is being treated like a saint now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. rock8591

rock8591 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It's idiotic to judge historical figures by modern day standards.

By standards of his time, he is a saint.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I believe Pickett would have disagreed with Lee being called a saint.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    bull mierda-

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  18. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Lee was a Virginian first, an American second. He never regretted his decision to lead the Confederate Army in armed rebellion against the United States.

19. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    I confess to not knowing much about Civil War battles and how the generals performed. But I read Killer Angels and Lee did not look good there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

Because like every human being everything is either all one way or all another.o_O:rolleyes::confused::eek:

There are thousands of sides to the lives of every human being. What you are offering (and I'm pretty sure this is a dupe thread) is nothing more than the opposite side of the coin of which you're complaining about.

• Informative Informative x 1