Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

My grievance with having to rely on players from the transfer portal.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by MyakkaGator, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They need to tweak the portal a bit. My suggestion would be to let juniors and seniors, that have already red-shirted, transfer and play immediately. So long as it's their first transfer.

Also, to add to that NO true freshman should be allowed to transfer and play at another school immediately. Let them only transfer if they lost their head coach, but still make them sit one year.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    As things stand now, the transfer game is crucially important and every school should be utilizing that fact to some extent.
    Don't want to think about our roster without Townsend, Shuler, Delance, Greenard, Jefferson, Grimes, Dunlap

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. goneagaingator

goneagaingator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Interestingly, transfers have played a role in helping Florida win each of its three national titles.

‘96 OL Zach Pillar (GT)
    ‘06 CB Ryan Smith (Grad/Utah)
    ‘08 RB Emmanuel Moody (USC)

No way that Meyer wins it all in ‘06 without Smith on scholarship. Pillar, when healthy, was a huge piece of an excellent OL. You could argue that UF doesn’t win it all without him.

Moody probably had the least impact of the three, but still averaged over 7 yards a carry.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I doubt we are taking portal guys where we don’t need them. The guys we have taken have definitely translated to more wins so far

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    All of them. Fields, burrow and hurts were all immediately eligible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Lately? A lot. It seems like other teams automatically get one for us We got Van and Grimes immediately available but not cox for some reason. Adam Shuler became immediately available as well if I'm not mistaken and I cant remember about marlon Dunlap jr. But he was a UNC transfer if I'm remembering right and dont recall him sitting for a year I think

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And if we were to get a rb or wr, it’s likely they aren’t needed until the following year if at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Not if they've been trying to recruit every RB in the state this cycle. We've been through this...they REALLY want an RB or they wouldn't be recruiting one this cycle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. 1329gator

1329gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's why u trust the coaches on this ....they see the guys everyday we don't and I trust them to evaluate talent.

10. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Armstrong did come in under Galen Hall.
    There was no such thing as the transfer portal or grad transfers back in the 80s. Ryan Smith on our 06 team was our first grad transfer I believe.

However, Armstrong was immediately eligible because of an academic mix-up. He could only play his RS senior year if he transferred to another school.
    He came from Arizona State.

edit- I should have checked Wiki before posting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Greenard competed and was a huge factor immediately after arriving on campus

The receivers made huge differences right away

Three of the four Heisman finalists were transfers

Jalen Hurts was a stopgap at OU right?

Like it or not the transfer portal is now a huge part of the game. Understanding it will take time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Mr Greenard on line 2 ;)

13. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill GC Legend

Feb 7, 2018
    Transfers have been good to us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Can't say I like it in part because of the arbitrary nature of eligibility rulings, but you are right that it has already had a huge effect on a bunch of teams.

15. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Sometimes you only need short term help at a position of need. A transfer or JUCO May allow a youngster to gain needed size, strength and experience or even heal after an injury. You build your program through recruiting youngsters but transfers and JUCOs can fill immediate needs. Ask OSU, LSU and OU how important one transfer can be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    Bottom line is college football is changing. The transfer portal is now a part of the equation. It is absolutely going to hurt us in some situations -- kids who want to play more or who need a change of scenery for some reason are going to leave. So we better learn to use it to our advantage as well.

I think a sign of a great coach is one who can adapt to changing circumstances. The transfer portal is a change in the college football landscape. Sure we'd rather have stocked, balanced classes every year and no attrition ever and all players pan out as hoped. But that is wishful thinking.

We might as well use the transfer portal to our advantage. Coaches who favorably adapt to this changed landscape will have an advantage to those who don't.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Completely agree, especially LSU. One QB and a new Offensive Coordinator were all it took to bring them to national prominence with all their other LA talent. We'll see if they can stay there, though, because there aren't a lot of Burrows out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ufmc84

ufmc84 Sophomore

Aug 13, 2017
    There has been no staff in the country better than this one at pulling in talent from the portal and those players having an immediate impact. RB is not a desperate need right now other than depth. If a player with 2-3 years of eligibility transfers in without a waiver it won’t be much different than almost any other RB we would have pulled in out of high school. Our RB room is good enough the staff could afford to be picky this season. Bowman was the prized pig but he was lured away by a bigger farm right now. He’s probably the only RB who could have come in and shared the carry load with what’s currently on the roster. If Lingard is the guy to transfer in out of Miami so be it. Right now it’s hard to argue with this staff’s evaluation process especially with transfers.

As for grad transfers and needs. Again, this staff has hit more homeruns with this than any staff in the country. Jefferson, Grimes, Shuler, and Greenard.. we don’t win 20 games the last two years without those players. May have been one more if Cox had received his waiver. Blame it on timing but I blame it more on the good ole boy network that UGA belongs to in this conference. It’s curious he’s been one of the few to not receive the waiver even if it was in conference. Wasn’t too long ago Kirby got an Alabama transfer in who was allowed to play immediately.

Bottom line the portal has been extremely advantageous for this staff and they have executed flawlessly. It’s been needed since the last two coaches before Mullen spent 8 years running this program into the dirt.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Is this what YOU are doing? I don't think anyone else is. We don't need an instant savior.

20. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The point is they were eligible. You can add Kelly Bryant to that list. It seems clear to me that the NCAA is letting high quality players have a waiver. W guys like Cox,t who had some troublesd, not so much.
    But who do you see coming and us needing them so much that they walk into the starting job? Sure maybe a wr taking one of 4 spots that always get shared anyway.
    It isn't as though we don't have the talent right now.

As for us, van and Grimes come to mind as getting waivers.

To me, this is hysteria about nothing. As someone else said, we are looking to fill holes in the recruiting class.