Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

My feelings regarding Gator Baseball

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorStu1, May 13, 2019.

1. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Going in, the staff was worried about Friday night but felt good about the weekend starters. Obviously, Mace and Leftwich didn’t develop as hoped and with Dyson being such a big disappointment, it is why we have struggled so much in SEC play. There will be some offseason changes but don’t be too quick to write off Leftwich, Mace and the freshman arms as there is talent in that group.

And like others have said, I wouldn’t hold your breath on McConnell coming back. It just kind of stinks that due to his injury last year and being he is draft eligible as a SOPHOMORE that we really only got to see him play in Gainesville one season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    McConnell can hit so he will be drafted high. I suspect McConnell will be an outfielder as a pro, but no shame in that. Mickey Mantle started out as shortstop.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I find this interesting to relate. A friend of mine has a son who is a Soph in high school. Left handed pitcher. He plays on JV team whose schedule includes many varsity teams. His varsity team is a former state champ team and usually wins 85% +. Some call it a baseball factory.

The kid is big, but only throws (as a Soph) in high 70's. But his curve, knuckle curve, slider and change up are wicked.

Why isn't he on varsity or even being scouted by colleges? 70s, not low to middle 80s where they want Soph pitchers to be.

I told the kid to read and look at video of one of the greatest lefthanders of all time, Warren Spahn. Spahn probably would be a 30th rd draft pick today because his fastball was under 90.

UF needs pitchers. Pitching wins. UF does not have ONE pitcher with an ERA under 3.00. Not one. What do we average per game in walks? 5?

4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I would say that he needs to rework his pitching motion. Something is off if he is a big and strong kid and only throws in the 70's. Getting good velocity is using the additive nature of velocities from the lower body all the way through to the flick of the wrist and fingers. If you get that timing down just right the ball will fly off of your hand. I am guessing that one part of that sequence is hindering him and needs to be corrected. Correcting it will be difficult because he now has years of throwing one way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    The team has caused opposing pitchers to have an ERA greater than 5 in conference play. That is very good. Hitting, overall, is fine. Not spectacular but good. The team’s SEC ERA is greater than 7 (7.22 to be exact). That won’t even come close to getting it done. Ever. It is pitching. 100% in my opinion.

The team is fielding .975 in conference. That isn’t great but it is perfectly fine. Above average in college. It is hidden a bit by wild pitches and other problems which don’t show up directly in the fielding stat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    That has been a real and frequent issue between Smith and Jordan Butler. Don't know where the fault lies or who is crossing up who but lord have mercy, there is going to be a bizarre looking passed ball/wild pitch when those guys team up. Have seen the catcher offering instructive guidance to Butler in a rather loud emphatic manner so...........

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

This type of personality conflict does absolutely nothing for the team—it has to be resolved if it is real—they both have to be bigger and better than this—very hard for me to believe that Sully would tolerate it at all—

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    I bet that's right. Lotsa moving parts to being a college baseball manager.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Here is all I can add to the thread.

It will suck if we miss the tournament, however after 4 trips to Omaha we were due for a letdown.

We swept the Holes, gave LONR a losing record against UF, and he will never get another crack at us. To his grave he goes with a losing record to his biggest rival, no national championship, and the knowledge that whatever he did to try to win one was futile and we won it first.

That is all I can contribute.

Need to finish top 4 in Hoover.

10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    TJ—

I just bet that they would let you speak at his end of the year gala!;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    The last series sweep, on the road, at Missouri, was certainly encouraging. Some pieces of the puzzle came together. Start clicking on all, or multiple, cylinders and we can pose a problem to even the best teams.

Now is a good time to go on an extended winning streak!

Win a couple in Hoover...get into the regionals and I feel we’ll sorta be playing with house money.

Let’s hope the Cardozo highlighters have some magic left in them!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Magic Markers?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm hoping you're right, but one good game by one of our pitchers (Leftwich) isn't an indicator to me that we're going to be able to maintain momentum and challenge good teams. The sweep at ranked Mizzou was great, but I've seen this too many times this season when one of our pitchers dominated and then melted down the next weekend.

I think I'm going to keep my "positive hat" on and keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not going to allow myself to get too hyped up just to be disappointed again either.

14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Come on now Gray—

You can’t steal second with your foot on first—;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Get too hyped up; push all the chips to the middle of the table. Why not? What do we have to lose?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. shelbygt350

Apr 3, 2007
    My initial thoughts too. His out of high school coach is same as Alex Faedo's and others of note. Turns out the kid has not "manned up" yet, just in past month started to get hair on face, under arms, etc. A real late bloomer.

Missouri baseball coach watched him pitch vs a Sarasota varsity team and has set up a meeting whenever it is legal (July or Aug?).

The kid is now 6-1, about 190, and growing fast, he was 5-11 last fall. I know one of the pitching coaches he has had and all they talk about are his: control (no walks, hits exact spots with breaking stuff), his attitude (high GPA and character), and how he is unfazed on the mound.

Speaking of unfazed, I saw him pitch (he is not a thrower) in a 7 inning game, with score 5-0 going to top of 7th and the lead, his coach brought in subs, new catcher and infield. Now those replacement kids were awful ( I call them the donors sons) , ground balls missed, dropped pop up, 2 or 3 passed balls, but not one single hard hit ball. He simply shrugged and his coach walked out to him and told him, forget it and pitch for strikeouts. Fanned the last 2 batters on 7 pitches.

Next fall, when he is a Jr and starter on varsity, I'm sending w/ his Dad info to Sully. I think a good kid, with grades who throws strikes of nasty breaking balls, and if his fastball gets to mid 80s , he's a keeper.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Fast balls are not only all about what the radar gun registers. There is also movement and how hard it is to pick it up with the delivery. A mid-80's fastball that is straight and easy to pick up is almost batting practice. If instead it is hard to pick up and has arm side motion with some sink it is a totally different thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. shelbygt350

Apr 3, 2007
    You are spot on....

I recall they said Spahn's pitches were hidden by his glove.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Spahn was as crafty as it gets, motion, glove arm slot, but then he pitched when starters were finishers or at least they gave it all they had, can't imagine Spahn, Ford, Wynn, Drysdale our Koufax saying to the manager 'yeah I got nothing left, I made thru a solid 6 I'm ready for a shower"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Exactly! You don’t want this guy to abandon his obvious natural ability to pitch just for the sake of living in and for the readings on a radar gun—like you said Lurk, he most likely can tweak his mechanics and pick up some velocity but the truth is, just like foot speed—arm speed is God given—again, you can help yourself but expectations are best reached when they are realistic—

• Agree Agree x 1