Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

My feelings regarding Gator Baseball

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorStu1, May 13, 2019.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Pitching, defense, and three run homers is MLB according to Earl Weaver.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. flgatr1

flgatr1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    jacksonville, florida
    One of the runs given up to Tenn showed Smith reaching down on a low pitch with his glove wrong. If he had turned it, the ball would have not gotten behind him. Small point but giving up an unnecessary run is not small.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Kids coming in next year like Nesbitt, Owens, and hopefully Barco will pitch immediately. I disagree with people being upset with the freshman. I almost cannot believe people are not more disappointed with Mace and Leftwich and their regression. Almost seems like our sophomores get a pass.

If Tommy and Jack progress at all we are a tournament team.

Shocked at the continued talk about the freshman. If Tommy and Jack are 1-2 next year we are in huge trouble.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Respectfully disagree with you about Mace and Leftwich. They’ve regressed mightily. Era’s are horrific.

They’ve both been hit really hard, lacked control, and have really taken a step back at the most important time.

6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    spot on, the youngsters took their lumps but when viewed through the prism of the season the teams' shortcomings should not be layed at their feet by any means, I'll be surprised if they aren't a salty bunch after a summer on the Cape or elsewhere and come back to give the Mac a great season for final close out.........

• Like Like x 1
  7. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I just wish we could all take a step back and breathe. Things are never as bad as we think. I really thought long and hard about signing off for the rest of the season because I am not a negative person and hate reading some of the posts here. It gets old reading people downing our guys. We all agree this season has not been what we have been spoiled by as Gator fans but I refuse to be negative about this season.

I was unable to go to the games this weekend but watched on TV and during one of the games they discussed how cyclical the college game is. We have been spoiled under Sully no doubt. My question is why do people post here like the next 3 years are lost? The team has growing pains yes but there have been some real solid indicators of things that can go in the right direction. We may have a legit ace emerging in Nick Pogue. Leuthje has had some outings where he was really sharp. Specht has shown some real great innings. We have 4 guys in the lineup everyday who were still in HS at this time a year ago. If you really watch the at bats of the young guys you will see very few times they are getting blown up. They are not beat when they step in the box. Take Acton the other day, facing a guy throwing 99. He battled in an at bat and drew a walk. Does this help his "stats"? No, but who cares, he battled his tail off and was not afraid to cut it loose! This is a really talented young group of hitters. They have all shown bright flashes. I know in multiple cases if you actually watch the details of the game you are seeing the respect these young hitters have of opposing pitching coaches. Watch how many plus counts our guys get where a great secondary pitch is being thrown instead of a fastballs. There is respect of these hitters if you really watch the nuance of the game. If you watched this weekend Calilao had one at bat where he got nothing but off speed. This is not normally something you see to a freshman in the SEC. I watched every game this weekend and I can tell you the 4 freshman hit at least 6 balls on the barrel but right at guys. Eventually these will fall but I refuse to think they regressed. Sometimes this is a game of luck and right now nothing is going our way. Exhibit A, Nelly tripping rounding third.

As for the Soph pitchers, does anyone know how many games Mace started as a freshman? Six. 6! Maybe our expectations were a little high for a guy who only started 6 games. He has struggled but there are times he has been really good. Should a guy with this little experience be our Friday guy? No. He should be a Sat/Sun guy and grow in confidence. It is hard to pitch thinking you may need to be perfect and have never been down this road before.

I do not feel guys are regressing but we are more inexperienced than anyone ever knew. I said it before and will say it again. This is a young team trying to figure out how to make the adjustments when adjustments are made to their game plans.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There is a post on the main board about Shaun Anderson reaching the majors. It reminded of the first time I saw him throw live.....it was at UCF early in his career and he was awful, couldn't throw a strike or get out of the inning. Guys with me said we would never see that kid pitch for UF again.
    Clearly he figured it out eventually. So will these young arms. There is talent there. Disappointing they haven't gotten consistent more quickly, but as JJ has mentioned, I bet the summer leagues result in some big positive strides for these guys.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Well said @23fabe23, well said—

Your points about not being perfect early on in their careers is 100% spot on—without listing alumni players (and leaving someone off the list) all of even our greatest players have had to grow to the stage of D-1 baseball, Sully/Gator level of play—

It should be impossible to take that for granted as it is an elite level of play and performance—

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    A little perspective FWIW:

Admittedly a very limited sample (especially for Kowar) but freshman season ERAs in SEC Play for these two first rounders and they turned out to be ok:

Brady Singer 9.00
    Jackson Kowar 27.00

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Spot on. And let's remember both those studs had some very uneven performances as sophomores. Kowar still had an ERA over 4 for the year and was very spotty.....and people were losing their minds when Brady gave up 8 runs in 1 inning at the SEC tourney and then got banged around by Bethune in regionals.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    I was very concerned about weekend pitching coming into this year. No bell cow. Been a while since that was the case. I think sully was hoping it would be dyson. Just wasn’t , you need one bell cow. We’ be typically had more than that, but we always have one started that ends up say 8-1 with a 2.50. Throw that in, whole different year.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Regardless of how negative (critical) some of us can be, myself included, I hope you keep in touch during the off season with us. You have a very unique perspective that gives many of us a curious insight that would be missed. Besides you can counter many negative views better than most with real life examples in however way you want to exclaim it. I believe after the SEC is over and everyone is over the shock of not going further, most of us will be ready to refocus on the positives of next year and look forward to sending The Mac out on a high note. Go Gators!

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    A big part of our pitching problems is due to our defense up the middle. We used to have Rivera behind the plate and Guthrie, Liput, and Reed/Dalton up the middle. That was solid. Pitchers knew that if they missed a pitch just a little bit there was a great chance it would get erased by the guys playing behind them.

Fabian is a fantastic defender, but McConnell, Young, Smith are great with the bat but pedestrian at best with the glove. Now you have pitchers thinking that they have to be perfect and that leads to a lot of walks. And we have seen what happens then.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree completely. We have a lot of talent. Some just take a little longer to develop. As I mentioned, the key is if we can get Brady M. back one more season. I’m telling you all, this team will be very talented this time next season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Very much doubt we see Brady M back, but hopefully we have some options at that spot. I'm assuming we step back a little with the bat at SS but get a little more consistent defensively.
    The incoming SS from Lake Brantley (Nunez) has a big stick and is pretty slick defender, although I have not gotten to see him at all this spring so can't honestly assess his progress over his junior year. Always thought he might be a candidate for 3b too, ala India....but he has the tools for SS as well

• Informative Informative x 3
  17. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    looking at the current roster based on early season and practice Flint is the likely kid to beat out for SS he will be a Sr and looked pretty good in the field, did not show the same hitting talent as #13

• Like Like x 1
  18. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    I copied this info from the Florida Gator website - and I think it’s insightful - as everyone points to pitching but that’s not necessarily the case

Florida's winning formula this season has come from its offense. The Gators are 23-2 when out-hitting the opponent and 20-4 with scoring six runs or more. Conversely, UF is 10-19 when scoring less than six runs and 4-18 when out-hit by the opponent.

SUPER SOPH: SS Brady McConnell is the Gators' triple crown leader, hitting .365 with 15 home runs and 45 RBI on the season. He also leads the team with 23 multi-hit games. His 15 homers are the most by a UF shortstop in school history, surpassing Mark Ellis' 14 homers in 1998.

EL CAPITAN: Senior captain Nelson Maldonado is hitting .413 average (19-46) with four homers and 12 RBI over the last 12 games. On the season, he's set new career bests with 10 home runs, 13 doubles and a .611 slugging pct.

LANGWORTHY ON FIRE: Junior Austin Langworthy is 35-for-103 (.340) with 22 RBI and 14 extra-base hits in his last 27 games. He started the season in a slump, hitting just .187 (17-for-91). On the season, he has already set new career bests in home runs (7), RBI (33) and slugging percentage (.454).

HOW BOUT DEM APPLES: Sophomore catcher Brady Smith (who's doppelganger is Matt Damon) has been on a tear over his last 20 games, hitting .393 (22-for-56) with three home runs and nine RBI. He has already surpassed his totals from his freshman season with five home runs and 18 RBI on the year.

DALTON TRENDING UP: Junior Wil Dalton struggled in the early part of the season but is trending up with a .327 average (17-52) over the past 15 games with four home runs and 12 RBI.

A big issue is lack of productivity from the freshman in the everyday lineup during in SEC conference play
    Below are the BA and OPS for the four everyday freshman starters:

Young BA: .241 OPS: .674
    Calilao BA: .233 OPS: .548
    Acton BA: .237 OPS: .734
    Fabian BA: .167 OPS: .464

Fabian is a solid defender but he is only hitting .167 in conference and .118 on the road in conference - so we are not getting any production.

Again we are 23-2 when out hitting the opponent -

We did have a preseason top 10 ranking - just not sure why Sully didn’t stay with older kids and let the freshman watch and learn a bit more. I just hate the wait till next year approach - especially when you are the Florida Gators! Go Gators!!

19. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    The reason the season went south is the play on the road and it all starts on the mound. 1-11 and allowed 126 runs in 12 games thus far (that's giving up over 10 runs a game). Even if we had scored 6 or more runs in each of those games we would still have a really really poor road record.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This stat is a little misleading (the 6-run divide), in my opinion, as there were 13 games that we lost that 6 runs would not have been enough to win. 9 of those games we would not have won if we had scored 9 runs.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS