Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

My feelings regarding Gator Baseball

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorStu1, May 13, 2019.

1. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    Let’s get this out there now . There is ZERO chance Brady McConnell comes back after the year he has put together and being soph eligible. He ain’t getting any younger and showed all the scouts need to see. Tall , athletic , good arm , capable glove and rakes! He has made himself a lot of money and more than he was offered after a poor senior year which he was all in on going after HS. He won’t take any more chances , nor should he. He has major league skills ( won’t be at SS IMO) but a very proven and worthy prospect.
    I have not been a fan of his for various reasons most of the year but his production has shut me up a bit and I applaud him for his success and wish him well .

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Uf_1993

Uf_1993 Freshman

Jan 14, 2013
    I agree with most of what had been said. I do think Brady is gone. I read he is projected as a first round pick. Our freshman hitters must improve. Just about all of them struggled later in the season. We know the competition ramped up with our schedule, but I also think other schools learned how to pitch them. Take Fabian, he was hot to begin the season but his production really dropped. He led the team in HR through the first third of the season but only hit on more the last 2 months. I think this was more about pitchers learning not to through him a fastball.
    Calilao and Young as well. They may not have fell as far but struggled later in the year as well.

3. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    93 - that’s my point- All of the freshman tended to regress as the year went on - so it very difficult to project anything positive offensively from that group.

We will miss McConnell, Maldonado, and possibly Dalton/Langworthy next year offensively - so IF Sully gets the pitching fixed the offense might then be the issue. Hopefully, the 2019 recruits come in ready to compete as there should be plenty of opportunity.

I have no doubt Sully will get us back on track.

4. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Very well said my friend and well put into perspective from an insider's view of the team as to some players history. I agree with you about Brady M. I just don't see very many MLB owners paying big money for that many errors. It will be interested to see where he gets drafted. He's not a good infielder so does he head for the summer leagues to prove himself in the outfield? We might have to look at Christian Flint for next year. Please keep us up to date with your one on ones with Sully and when they finally install that ball return idea of yours.;)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Since when did you become the Buddha of Baseball?

We could take Cindi Chambers images of the baseball players and add your lines to some posters and sell them to businesses to hang on their walls. Hhmm
    I think every image would be Sully looking into the distance and below you read
    "I have to wonder what this group struggles with that aspect of their game."
    Or "Usually bad habits are the result of doing things a lazy way."
    Or my favorite "it’s hard for the catcher to have faith a pitch (location wise) can be executed when time and again we miss in the middle" --- Sully

I am interested to hear your take on our draft eligible players, who stays who goes, of at least where you think they get drafted. (Oh great one!)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    87 - The MLB drafts primarily for offense and pitching - no doubt that Brady’s bat and athleticism projects in the MLB. He will be a top round pick in this year’s draft and would be foolish to stick around for another year - especially since the better gator bats might also be gone - so who would protect him in the lineup. Brady is gone - which is a loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Pitching and defense. That’s college baseball.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm torn between blaming this situation on the Osprey webcam not providing the team comfort on road trips and Taxman not providing his weekly summaries.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And not enough triples.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    You can never have enough triples.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

There you go Lurk—poking the bear...;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Might be good to turn one arm into a submariner.

13. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I must have missed it but what happened to taxman this year? I have been wondering as I enjoyed his summaries each week

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    It's a matter of recruiting.

I think we all agree the primary issue this year has been pitching, or a lack of talent there-in. Nope, not buying that ole "Sully signed some of the top pitchers in the country" speil this time, because even when you do sign them, it doesn't mean they pan out to be as good as their ranking.

McMullen, Dyson, and Mace are juniors and sophomores, but imo, they've peaked. They're just not getting any better, or much better, than they are now. They've been in the system long enough to see that. We have 2, maybe 3 young arms who have definite potential, but overall, this dug-out of arms just isn't anywhere on the normal talent level we're used to with Sully.

Recruiting will solve the problem.

15. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Perhaps the weekly summary would be too redundant???

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    That’s been the Sully formula. And typically, that solid D is center of the field. We have the CF set. Need others, particularly behind the plate!

17. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    The summary threads were insightful, educational, instructive, and resourceful. Maybe Sully and the players were relying on them for guidance and inspiration?!

Who will deny, we’ve had much better play when we had the Taxman weekly summaries?!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    I’ll get back in the saddle next year. Had some family and professional stuff that pulled me from watching all the games.

• Like Like x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty sure most athletes and coaches come to these boards to have a better idea on what they could improve on. That is, when they're not listening to local sports talk shows for tips and ideas.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I think they feel like we abandoned them....they have the taxman blues.

• Funny Funny x 1