Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

My feelings regarding Gator Baseball

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorStu1, May 13, 2019.

1. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Junior

May 9, 2015

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. KidProQuo

KidProQuo Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Speaking of Mark Harmon, he was in another very good movie (that absolutely no one saw) called “Stealing Home.” Check it out.

3. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    I’m still trying to decide how to stay positive with the lack of talent moving forward. The freshman’s lack of production has not given me a great confidence level moving forward. However, I’m an certain that Sully will get the program back on track.

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Smith has been better behind the plate compared to early in the season and MUCH better at the plate lately, but I have to wonder how much of our pitching woes are due to them not having complete confidence in the other half of the battery. If you were a Gator pitcher this season with runners on and a pitcher's count would you throw a slider that starts out looking good to the batter and then ends up low and away? I would to most of our most recent catchers, but Smith is not rock solid and to throw that pitch you need to know that if it is in the dirt it stays in front. He is decent and way better than I and most of us would be and an OK catcher at this level, but it is like that stupid TV commercial: Is OK good enough? There is a reason why some MLB teams that don't have a Johnny Bench, Yogi Berra, or Carleton Fisk type catcher burn a spot in the line-up for a defensively solid catcher. All of the catchers I mentioned were very good defensively, especially Bench and Fisk. Catcher is THE most important defensive position. It is the jewel in the timepiece that is the defense.

And what position has Sully whiffed on recruiting the most in recent years? The correct answer is catcher. He has signed a lot of very good ones that went straight to pro ball out of HS. Getting somebody like another Mike Zunino would fix a lot of our problems. Surprisingly Sully doesn't have the same kind of rep that he has with pitching prospects that he does with catcher prospects given that he was a catcher.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    I agree 100 percent as why would Florida ever have to develop a catcher - Brady will hopefully move to another position (First or Third) next year. I believe we have 2 kids in the 2019 class committed at the catcher position and hopefully one of them can step up .

The 2020 gator team will be interesting as most of the reliable bats off of this years team will be gone - so if Sully gets the pitching fixed - we may have an offensive issue. No easy fix in my opinion.

6. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    We have a lot of reliable bats that are very young. Yes, they took a step back when league play started, but they are starting to get it. Pitching has got to start getting ahead in counts and stop having 2-0 counts almost every time. Runs the count up and lets the batter do less guessing at the plate. I'll be interested in seeing how Sully fixes these problems next season. Going to be an interesting off season to say the least for these Gators.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    That's the recipe for success. We saw this season that you cannot hit enough to overcome really bad pitching. Looking forward to the day the pitching and defense is elite again and we can complain about the hitting coach all the way to Omaha.

The catching situation and the middle infield has to get a whole lot better for the defense to return to its former glory.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    My concern going forward isn't really over the performance this year. Everyone is allowed a clunker season or two, and certainly O'Sullivan has earned some slack.

But as it stands with the pitching staff, I'm worried on two levels. First, none of these young arms seems to have actually developed in any meaningful way. It's one thing for a young guy to struggle at the beginning of the season, but none of this bevvy of young pitchers seems significantly better today than they were at the beginning of the season.

Second, with the exception of Mace and Leftwich, none of the pitchers on the team really seems to have overwhelming stuff or talent. Brady Singer was pretty bad as a true freshman in 2016, but you could watch him for an inning and see the lightning there. Right now, we seem to have a collection of mostly interchangeable pitchers who throw more or less identical 90 MPH fastballs and uninspired breaking pitches. There's no one you look at and say "He's got it."

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    At the moment I would say Pogue is the exception but we need to see him pitch at that level at Missouri and the SEC-T.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mkmoney

mkmoney Freshman

Jan 18, 2019
    Exactly. It makes it so easy for opposing hitters that everyone out of the pen is the same. Other teams have lefties, side armers, high velocity guys,. Soft tossers etc. We just have the same type and opposing batter time it up easily.

11. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Singer as a freshman had a wicked two-seamer with a huge amount of armside movement at 95+ mph, but it was all over the place. I sat with some scouts during some of his freshman outings and one of them called him Brady Slinger. I got it. It was a talent that might be harnessed and if it was from the left side they would have been all over it. From the right side they have seen it many times before.

Singer as a soph and especially as a junior had a 92/93 mph two-seamer with a lot of sink instead and a lot more command. That was of much more interest to MLB scouts I talked to because that is an out pitch and a double play pitch. It was pitching and not just throwing.

Somebody instructed him about how to do that. It is a small change in figure pressure on release and not trying to throw at 100%. I have always wondered who taught him that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I respectfully disagree. I think we have the potential to be outstanding next season. Big if, is if Brady M returns at SS. We need him to comeback. The only loss we have is Maldonado. The pitchers will figure it out in the Cape this summer and into the fall. Too many arms to fail. Plus we will have one or two surprises that will not sign.

• Like Like x 2
  13. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    There likely is a lot of truth to this. We have a stereotypical 6’2” to 6’4” right hander in the low 90s. No real changeup at all in the sense of lefty or higher or lower velocity. Pretty much the same guy out there it seems. Could be a factor I suppose. I never really thought about it this way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I have thought about that this way. There may be some truth here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Concerning that we didn't see improvement from the freshmen pitchers by years end and the older giys seemed to regress.. Maybe Pogue is the exception, otherwise just a total pitching fail from starters to closers. Lot of good young arms on the team, hopefully the light goes on for a few. Would be nice to find a lefty starter somewhere.

16. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Its hard to name any pitcher we have right now that is known by his out pitch. That's why we see too many 1-2 over the plate big hits against us. Guys are leaving it over the plate hoping the hitter can't barrel one up. I guess most of our out pitches is when Sully comes to take another pitcher out.

17. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    In my eyes it was not freshman who made the season as poor as it has been, the vets did not come through on the mound and for the most part did not get their hitting shoes on til mid season or later for some.
    I have been disappointed and at times critical of our catching but I try to keep in mind Brady S came here to play in the infield. after most of the kids recruited to catch had a try out it was Sully who tapped hm as the best available option behind the plate and at bat, his bat came through in the last 1/3 or so of the season, Cal came in as a highly rank receiver behind the plate but has not broken into the line up as an every inning option, I will be surprised if he sticks with UF for next season.
    Brady M got better and will have to improve a lot with the glove if the middle is going to be strong, our freshman second baseman came here to play outfield and beat out a senior captain for the second sacker slot, Jacob made some great plays and muffed a few routine ones but he was better than the senior who sat on the bench, I'm betting Cory over the summer will work hard to improve his reaction time at third, he needs to learn to at least knock down those shots down the line, but he showed improvement along the way. Jud showed he can hit and just needs to get more consistent, I think his work over the summer will help a lot with that, he has been a terrific centerfielder from the day he stepped on the field, he has a sense for where the ball is going that you can not teach and an arm that is accurate as I have seen in our outfield, he has been a brightest spot in our up the middle defense, Jacob has come along and Brady has gotten better, both need to step up their game over the summer and come in solid by fall practice.

Sully has his hands full and I bet he will get the mound woes corrected, several of the kids have strong arms but no real movement on their pitches.. makes timing them up awfully easy to do

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Everybody here brings both valid points and concerns to focus in their posts—

We are coming off of a spectacular run of some of the most solid and successful pitchers ever assembled at one D-1 school—

ALL of the pieces have to fit for that kind of success to continue year in and year out—

There are going to be bumps in the road, like’em or not—

I truly believe that every single player Sully’s recruited and is recruiting has been on multiple radars at multiple schools—I think we will survive and be fine—

Frustrations, sure—they have been plentiful (mainly because of the level of play we’ve come to expect as both Sully and Gators fans—)

It’s been extremely frustrating to see the same mistakes repeated—offensively as well as defensively—to say nothing of the same mechanical mistakes only re-enforcing themselves by being repeated—

Usually bad habits are the result of doing things a lazy way—that just does not fit any Sully mode I have ever known or seen—

Whether you’re talking about pitcher’s mechanics, catcher’s mechanics, hitter’s mechanics, or defensive mechanics in the field—every player has got to understand what they are asking their bodies to do.....

I have to wonder if this group struggles with that aspect of their game—

Someone mentioned pitchers being hesitant to bury punch out pitches with B. Smith—that is very possible—by the same token, it’s hard for the catcher to have faith a pitch (location wise) can be executed when time and again we miss in the middle—

Our guys have got to grow up to the level of the game that they’re in or the lumps will continue to come—

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

2x—

A real deal LH starter and a dominant LH back end guy would make me smile—

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017

His bat has been much better, his catching being better isn't saying much and it still is not even remotely what I would consider good. I totally believe it affects our pitchers.

Not first. Has the same issue there.