Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

My Covid-19 story

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by TheGator, Apr 23, 2020.

1. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Utah
    I have been pretty outspoken on COVID-19. I have been tested for the antibody, and I can confirm that I have been exposed to COVID-19 as I have tested positive for carrying the antibody. I received the results back today. I believe I had it in January/February. I was in NYC over Christmas Break, and more than likely was exposed then. I had all of the typical symptoms, but never stopped working and going about my business. I appeared in Court and in trial while I was sick during this time. After 2-3 weeks, I needed to go to Urgent Care. I was prescribed the infamous Z-Pac. It took me about a week after that to fully recover. I believe the number of people exposed to this virus is many times more than what is being reported. Interestingly enough, none of my friends or family reported getting sick about the same time as I did in January/February. My legal assistant also says she didn't get sick. In short, this is not the scary virus that the media is making this out to be. I plan on donating my plasma with the hope of helping someone in need. Be Safe and Healthy!

• Come On Man x 10
    • Like x 7
    • Winner x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. MetaGator

MetaGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is not scary because you didn’t get very sick? About 50K Americans have died since March 1st- despite shelter in place orders for most of the country. I am guessing most of those people were pretty scared as they died alone.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 14
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. BubbaBJ

BubbaBJ Premium Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I respect both of your comments. The uncertainty and lack of, or misinformation, has put us in a situation in which must of us are behaving as if our experience is universal. Do your research as best you can, do what you need to protect your family and livelihood, and don't take unnecessary risks to thumb your nose at the virus. Meanwhile, let's keep it civil and realize none of us know what the hell we are talking about, and others have been affected differently and may therefore make different conclusions. We won't solve this here, so let's keep this site a place we can enjoy and take a reprieve from the panic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. BubbaBJ

BubbaBJ Premium Member

Aug 22, 2011
    It works both ways. It's difficult for a business to make a policy that orders everyone that has any symptoms to stay home because 1: employees may take advantage by pretending to be sick. 2: wage workers that can't afford to miss work will hide their symptoms.

Ultimately, the result of such a policy can reward the dishonest and punish the honest, with no reduction in the number of sick people coming to work. Regardless of the outcome, most small businesses can't afford to pay both the "sick" employee and the person that would need to work to cover their duties.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. thegator92

thegator92 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Isn't Z-Pac an antibiotic? Why would you have that to treat a virus? Perhaps you had something else and the anti-bodies are a coincidence, or the test gave a false positive. I've read that there are accuracy issues with tests currently used.

At any rate, happy to hear you recovered.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Glad the OP is OK and that he apparently didn't infect anyone, but what a mind numbingly dumb post. 191,000 reported deaths worldwide and 50,372 in the US as I type that would rate his post "disagree" or worse, if only they could.

Again, glad you weren't added to these totals.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ecogator

ecogator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ocala
    This thread is being moved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Most people who get the virus shake it off. I guess that means those that die are sissies.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Glad you got through it easy. And it's generous of you to donate plasma.

You're advice, however? Terrible.

Maybe not scary for you, but probably pretty damn scary for those who've gotten extremely sick and scary and tragic for those who've died and their families? No?

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  10. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you for sharing

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Just like everything else you guys spin what he was getting at. I would imagine that most are scared before they die, but you also have to consider most of those who did die were elderly, had other pre-existing conditions so just a hunch I bet most have already been told by there doctors before this Flu like virus even started that they were more likely to be affected with any type of colds and virus, especially those who were over weight(which was a lot) that had diabetes or heart conditions.

Then you have the people like you who constantly live in fear

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. obgator

obgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    “The FDA is not aware of an antibody test that has been validated for diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection. While the FDA remains open to receiving submissions for these tests for such uses, based on the underlying scientific principles of antibody tests, the FDA does not expect that an antibody test can be shown to definitively diagnose or exclude SARS-CoV-2 infection.”

Important Info on the Use of Serological (Antibody) Tests for COVID-19

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No just mainly old with pre-existing conditions and over weight. I'm sure some were sissies you pointed out, just as I'm sure most already had existing health issues and already new they had a good chance of dying without the virus. I personally don't think of you or any of the other posters on here as sissies even though you live in fear of this flu like virus

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  14. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's just your opinion, what makes your horrible advice any better? Wouldn't you say that death is scary and tragic no matter what you've died from for families?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    This reckless attitude and behavior is exactly why the country is shut down. You got yours, to hell with anyone else.

• Agree x 8
    • Come On Man x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  16. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    it’s not my opinion that there are tens of thousand who died and many more who suffered tremendously

I would say it is salary and tragic for any type of death too. And those at high risk would be perfectly reasonable in having some fear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. tigator2019

tigator2019 All American

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    I am working.Keeping physical distancing rules. Limiting trips, washing hands. you name it

But HELL YES I am living in fear. Not all the time, sometimes barely registering, but sometimes more.

With elderly parents in my universe. Friends over 65. Friends with health issues (seems like 70% do nowadays). In FEAR of making someone sick. Or having a family member get very very ill. Intubation is 100 times worse than anyone knows.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Utah
    My point is probably many of you that commented on this post have already been exposed to the virus. New York State estimates upwards of 13% of their population has been exposed to the virus. This is many more times than the official reported numbers. As Cuomo stated, that would bring the mortality rate down to about .5%. Stanford estimates that up to 85 times more people have been exposed compared to what is being reported, which brings the mortality rate down to .12% to .2%. These numbers are starting to align with the common flu. The common flu has killed 10s of thousands while everyone has been in lockdown. Yet we never shutdown the economy over the flu.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Stanford study has so many flaws it isn't worth mentioning. Antibody tests are still not proven reliable to eliminate other forms of coronavirus so to say you had covid19 is wrong unless your test doesn't have false positives. What test, performed by whom, did you take?

Do you suffer from diabetes, hypertension, or obesity? Millions do and that greatly increases the threat.

NY tests (false positives included) would put mortality rate around 1%. That is 10x deadlier than flu

Antibody Tests For Coronavirus Can Miss The Mark

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It might be that many of these facts are accurate, but I think it’s fair to criticize the use of his personal experience to extrapolate the nature of an entire pandemic.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3